FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Adobe Can Do To Fix This

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Huff
What Adobe Can Do To Fix This
on May 8, 2013 at 10:34:46 pm

First, extend the $29.99 deal for another year for people who jumped early. Think of it as a "sorry we've been an asshole" discount.

Second, do what they did with Creative Suite 2...remove the activation and give people a code that unlocks, say, 2 versions prior. So, for instance, once you've been on Creative Cloud for a year or two, you can get a serial number for CS5. You can download CS5 and install it and it's yours to keep (I don't mind if they limit it to a single platform...like you pick either Mac or Win).

From there, you get to pick a code for either platform for two versions prior the longer you stay on.

I don't see how this would effect Adobe's bottom line to any degree...it would give people peace of mind that they will actually have a perpetual version, though I bet this option wouldn't have the trigger pulled on it very often.

Seriously, what would Adobe have to lose from doing this? Seems like a win-win to me.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: What Adobe Can Do To Fix This
on May 8, 2013 at 10:45:27 pm

Boy, Gary -

You sure know how to sugar coat your requests to a software company - that *sshole line is sure to get them eating out of your hand...what a diplomat...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 8, 2013 at 10:59:02 pm

Don't call some a diplomat - they're likely to call you a jerk

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 11:34:06 pm

[Gary Huff] "a code that unlocks, say, 2 versions prior. "

adobe are formally guaranteeing live download access to up to three or so CS versions prior. you've got them all. they really are throwing the kitchen sink in that sense.
but only while you pay rent. they are very extremely determined to remove software ownership here.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 12:24:04 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "adobe are formally guaranteeing live download access to up to three or so CS versions prior. you've got them all. they really are throwing the kitchen sink in that sense.
but only while you pay rent. they are very extremely determined to remove software ownership here."

Yeah, I would have them remove the authentication aspect from CS5 and provide you with a serial number, so that it would work like CS2 does currently after you've been a paying customer for X amount of time...so that at least you get something for all the money going their way.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 9, 2013 at 12:10:50 am

I'm not sure Adobe has any interesting in "fixing" this. I suspect they feel they took the most profitable route.

Regular users will join CC.
A good portion of those who'd skip a single upgrade will join CC. I suspect this number is big and this is where there will be revenue growth. Now these people will be paying for the upgrades regardless as it's built into the billing.
Those who would skip multiple versions and are the least profitable may go away.

Adobe ultimately doesn't have to worry about some portion of the base not upgrading because there's no must have feature for a given niche.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 9, 2013 at 12:16:14 am

Here is my pitch to Adobe:

Please give us the option of get perpetual license up front at a lower price point, the option of getting individual applications or the entire suite and the ability to opt-in for ongoing and unlimited technical support with a fee of $30 a month with the first year mandatory. The fee could also go to major updates, not upgrades, minor updates with no fee. After that your customer can decide if they want to continue with ongoing technical support or the option of pay for support when needed.

This is simply an idea, would like to know what others think.

Happy editing!

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on May 9, 2013 at 1:18:01 am

Adobe could offer an upgrade path to those who have 1 version prior only. And announce that it will be all cloud in 2 versions.

Adobe could sell a perpetual lic only to individual users.

Adobe could sell a perpetual lic on installments like the cloud and after 2 or 3 years give you a code to perpetualize whatever build you have.

Adobe could have both ditribution modes like auutodesk,Maxon and intuit. money is money ( maybe forcing upgrades through price structure.

Any combination of the above.

The line that they only make money with the so called cloud that really isnt a cloud is totally B.S

Richard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]