FORUMS: list search recent posts

weird blog post.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
weird blog post.
on May 8, 2013 at 9:11:35 pm

so whether this guy is just typing whatever he feels, or he is making up stuff like crazy - this goes more to photoshop audience but some of the stuff in here is reads crazy.

http://scottkelby.com/2012/my-adobe-creative-cloud-quick-qa/

so this is Scott Kelby quoted, editor in chief of Photoshop User magazine:

Q. Do I have to sign-up for a Creative Cloud membership or can I just upgrade like always?
A. Nope—you can just upgrade like always.

thats a lie right?

Q. What if it’s not for me?
A. That’s totally cool. You can pretend the Creative Cloud doesn’t exist, and just pay up front for upgrades and full versions of the software like you used to. The Creative Cloud is an option — one that makes sense for a lot of people who can’t handle the up-front costs of the regular Creative Suite, but if it’s not for you, no biggie.

this is also a lie right? How am I paying for full versions of the suite?

Q. What happens when CS7 eventually comes out?
A: people not in the plan, will still have to wait the 18 or so months until the next big release, like CS7.

again - isn't this an outright lie? This guy actually runs a publication?

I tweeted the dude, but no reply. If he is trying to fashion bulk rental payments as outright purchase -
then he is a guy feeling enough adobe PR pressure that he is willing to lie spectacularly to anyone who will listen to him.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: weird blog post.
on May 8, 2013 at 9:22:50 pm

Check the date, homie.

All of this is true if you skew the release from CS 5.5 to CS 6.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 8, 2013 at 9:25:01 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Check the date, homie.

All of this is true if you skew the release from CS 5.5 to CS 6.

Jeremy
"

Yup

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 8, 2013 at 9:36:38 pm

Adobe, I believe had been saying this as late as February I believe. I think a lot of people were under the impression CC would be an option. That while boxes were going away, a full license download purchase would still be available. I seem to remember Adobe people saying you could buy the full license but the pushed upgrades (new features) would only be available to CC subscribers... not that there would be no perpetual license option.

Can we have a long dissuasion about "Trusting" these companies?
I don't "trust" any of these companies and ROI informs my purchasing (renting?).
For some, the ROI on CC is good. For others, the option, just like when FCPX was released was, keep using CS6 and look for other options.

Apple can make moves with Motion.
Pixelmator can accelerate their development.
Maybe it'll take two years but one can hope for competitors to catch up.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 8, 2013 at 10:08:00 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Pixelmator can accelerate their development."

Noticing today in the App Store Acorn (image editing program) is number 6 Top Paid and number 6 Top Grossing. Pixelmator is number 10 Top Paid and 11 Top Grossing. Seems people are looking at their options. No they weren't that high a few days ago.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 9:43:27 pm

SHAG! like I check anything.

ok well, er - its at least interesting as a throw back. Also a lot of what he said seems awfully hopeful now.
There seriously are guys on twitter tweeting that at the mo.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 8, 2013 at 9:25:41 pm

That blog post is about a year old and, thus, contains info about a year out of date. ;)

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on May 8, 2013 at 9:30:37 pm

I guess since then Adobe heard some big numbers and got itchy palms..

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 8, 2013 at 9:28:10 pm

You do know this post is over a year old, do you?
Seriously, it's getting a bit bizarre now. Seems people are just roaming the web trying to pick every bit of weirdness, comment, outcry and frenzy they can find. And that comment about the "adobe pr pressure made him do it"... bit silly, no?

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 9:46:19 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "You do know this post is over a year old, do you?"

er, in point of fact no. Some people are tweeting that out and about at the mo tho. hey - the date wasn't super visible. sort of...

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 8, 2013 at 10:54:04 pm

Aindreas,

If you want to read old posts for dramatic effect, try this instead:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/51194#51423

Franz.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 11:10:32 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "Seriously, it's getting a bit bizarre now."

OK fair enough, bar that being me posting a random year old post. It gets tricky when you are mindlessly ranting in multiple locations - but let me try it this way:

We, you, the lot of us, are considering ending the ability to formally purchase, and own, our pay the bills software here right? The pay the bills software becomes a rent payment itself? Adobe are asking us to rent our tools off them.

We are considering going on rental - so adobe are waving a ton of stuff, but really, if you think about it, it all builds up to this request for a monthly rental cheque: them buying behance, getting Kuler going, cobbling some cloud collaboration for still images (you cannot share video files in their system actually) - but those are the trappings for this thing they want us to focus on - some kind of amazingly enhanced relationship we are all about to engage with - with adobe, under Shantanyu Nayaren.

There is something close to basecamp for collaboration, a sophisticated portfolio scheme to allow us all to share our work in a meritocratic community like behance - although thats mostly print really and they don't have much presence in moving image.

We also get access to really amazing colour wheel technology - there are just the coolest videos of super inspired photographers pulling up their CC account colour schemes in Kuler. They aso have some stupid pens that don't draw on paper - those are CC pens.

This, without tin foil hat right? this is a very concerted push to surround a basic proposition - that you do not own the software you use, that you can no longer buy it, with a ton of tinsel, first year deals, portfolio site something, 20GB of storage no one really cares about etc.

so right at the back OK - someone is saying that you don't need to own this stuff. That that is outdated - tool ownership is obselete! and renting has truly incredible benefits. because these guys are right there with you. right. So here is Shantanyu Nayaren:

so when I say that I don't trust Shantanyu Nayaren, I mean, I don't trust him. You are looking at a guy who was effectively financially raping Australian customers, then replying by saying, you should really trust us because of what we are about to do to you once you agree to become rental tenants of our software.

Fine - someone is going to say "if you don't like it you can leave." To a reasonable degree as editors we really can. But there are near monopoly parts of the suite. And I'm more than a little sucked in with AE and PS - but, you know, up yours Shantanyu - I have CS6.

basically I think adobe make stunning software at times, but the idea that any of us should be comfortable with the notion of becoming people who pay them rent for tools we require to make a living - to walk into that dynamic? does anyone really want to get into that?

bar PPro 7 - does anyone here care about the new features in illustrator, or indesign, or flash, or edge create, or reflow, or edge animate, or digital publishing system, or brackets, or edge inspect? (seriously some of that stuff is cool, watch the web walkthroughs) but why in the name of JESUS - am i paying rent for those rooms/software anyway? they have absolutely nothing to do with me

Why am I paying rent on every piece of software adobe ever made?

I would - personally - just like to upgrade my license for Production Premium 6.

I'm not joking - what in the hell is going on here?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 8, 2013 at 9:43:16 pm

March 2013

http://www.mactrast.com/2013/03/adobe-will-end-sales-of-boxed-version-of-cr...

Electronic downloads for Creative Suite and Acrobat products will continue to be available—as they are today—from both Adobe.com, as well as reseller and retail partners.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 8, 2013 at 9:59:59 pm

Yep, and that's true. They'll continue selling CS6 indefinitely and even promised to update it to keep it running on future Mac and Win OS releases.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 8, 2013 at 10:16:25 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "Yep, and that's true. They'll continue selling CS6 indefinitely and even promised to update it to keep it running on future Mac and Win OS releases."

I checked their FAQ and yes they do says they will CS6 indefinitely. That's an impressive forever. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 8, 2013 at 10:23:06 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I checked their FAQ and yes they do says they will CS6 indefinitely. That's an impressive forever. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out."

I imagine you in 40 years,

"Craig, come to bed already!"

"Can't yet, dagnabit! Gotta see if I can still download CS6!"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 8, 2013 at 10:51:20 pm

[Gary Huff] "I imagine you in 40 years,

"Craig, come to bed already!"

"Can't yet, dagnabit! Gotta see if I can still download CS6!""

Indefinitely... 40 years fits in that time frame. And they better make sure it'll run on OS XXX which will be named after the alien specious cohabiting the planet with us.

I can imagine a whole bunch of lower budget clients will be hanging on to CS6 to deliver their Photoshop and Illustrator to me.

I don't doubt, Adobe is banking on that' I'd "rent" CC for a month to open up a client's file rather than spend big bucks on CS6.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 8, 2013 at 11:18:13 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I can imagine a whole bunch of lower budget clients will be hanging on to CS6 to deliver their Photoshop and Illustrator to me."

I've shot for clients still using FCP5 on a 2006 MacBook Pro.

Astounding.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 9, 2013 at 12:20:34 am

[Gary Huff] "I've shot for clients still using FCP5 on a 2006 MacBook Pro."

This issue certainly isn't unique to Adobe. I'm sure many of us know of people and facilities who sat on Avid versions. This was especially common in the days of expensive upgrades which may have even involved hardware. But even recently, I'm still dealing with people who are a couple of versions back with Media Composer.

In fact one of the reasons why hardware tied to service is a viable market is the annual service contracts that come with the hardware purchases. Even if the hardware is frozen the contract gets renewed.

Basically Adobe has made their software a service contract that must be renewed. The key difference is that hardware may well continue to work if one doesn't renew the contract and such facility can sometimes hire "independents" who can handle some issues. With Adobe, if you end the service contract, you don't have something that works. This obviously is the peeve. Need to use it again and, at the very least, you need to rent it for a month.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on May 9, 2013 at 1:27:40 am

If you stop paying the cloud. what happends does CC work with ink marks or doesn't render or it just doesn't open.

Richard

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 2:08:51 am

[Richard Cardonna] "If you stop paying the cloud. what happends does CC work with ink marks or doesn't render or it just doesn't open."

It just doesn't open. At least that's what currently does.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 9, 2013 at 4:02:32 am

[Gary Huff] I've shot for clients still using FCP5 on a 2006 MacBook Pro.

Astounding.

I have FCP5. on a PowerMac G5. I bought it used so I could get familiar with FCP, but then when the X-bomb hit I went back to Premiere on my PC. Since I started shooting AVCHD I'm over there all the time now. I'll be using Premiere CS5 for a good while, and will probably give the Cloud a go in some form eventually, but due to recent events I'm now giving Media Composer very serious thought.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]