FORUMS: list search recent posts

One Year Later, what do pro/broadcast FCPX users say about jumping from FCS3/ FCP7 to FCPX now?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
One Year Later, what do pro/broadcast FCPX users say about jumping from FCS3/ FCP7 to FCPX now?
on May 8, 2013 at 5:05:21 pm

It's been about a year since I last considered migrating our shop's editing platforms. A year ago I could say that X was missing things we enjoyed in 7 and so it wasn't in the running at our shop, which is a broadcast environment concentrating on news production, training, and PSA/commercial production.

Now a year has passed, and I'm vaguely aware of some updates Apple has made to FCPx. I'd like the opinion of users who were on 7 and DID jump to x, as to how "ready for prime time" X is now, and can it deliver at least everything we had in 7, with regards to machine control, scopes, audio functionality, round-tripping to Motion and other apps, ability to externally monitor, all the stuff that made people rabid a year ago.

In a calm, simplified way, would somebody care to tell me how their X-perience has been and if X should again be considered against Adobe? (outside of the cloud issue, please, for the love of God)

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
Re: One Year Later, what do pro/broadcast FCPX users say about jumping from FCS3/ FCP7 to FCPX now?
on May 8, 2013 at 5:29:28 pm

I am a true convert to X. I have spent many years with FCP7 and Avid. I saw this change coming as soon as X came out. When I sat down to start a cut with X it made me so frustrated, but, over time I kept with it until that clicked* moment. Post FCPX launch i realized that I needed to learn Premiere as well to stay relevant. Honestly, side by side I will work with FCPX for most of my work. I created a broadcast workflow for a cable movie station. We created a huge amount of promo material every month all using FCP7 and AE. I know that if I had to I could maintain the same workflow for broadcast using FCPX and probably do it in less time. Creatively FCPX gives me the flexibility I never had with another NLE.
Most of those things you are looking for are there now. I know FCPX isn't perfect by any means but we still haven't seen a 10.1 yet! It's so powerful. You just have to give it a chance.
I just finished a sizzle reel for a client. They were so happy with the end result and it took me half the time to cut and finish then it would have in FCP7.

just sayin...

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

craig slattery
Re: One Year Later, what do pro/broadcast FCPX users say about jumping from FCS3/ FCP7 to FCPX now?
on May 8, 2013 at 5:50:57 pm

Ive been cutting broadcast television on FCPX since October last year, tonight at 11:20 I have a 60 min special on Danny Boyle screening on BBC Two. Moving to FCPX has been completely painless, nothing like the transition from Avid to FCP some 7 years ago. I met up with some other editors working for the BBC cutting news in X just last week and they also have found the transition completely workable and really enjoy the software. All the stuff that made people 'rabid', has been addressed and addressed elegantly. FCPX totally works for our production and editing is once again fun. You don't often hear editors say they are having fun, especially on this forum.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 8, 2013 at 5:54:28 pm

[craig slattery] "editing is once again fun. You don't often hear editors say they are having fun,"

Yeah, that too. It really is. I'm working in 7 now on a job and it's painful.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on May 8, 2013 at 9:20:23 pm

[craig slattery] "I met up with some other editors working for the BBC cutting news in X just last week"

Craig, that's really interesting because I've always thought X would be great for news. Is this at NBH or out on the road?

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 8, 2013 at 5:52:53 pm

[Mark Suszko] "as to how "ready for prime time" X is now,

Totally ready. Not perfect, but really nice, and getting better very quickly...

[Mark Suszko] can it deliver at least everything we had in 7, with regards to machine control,

Nope, though there are plenty of 3'rd party solutions to this if you need it. Blackmagic has some reall nice, inexpensive stuff

[Mark Suszko] scopes,

Yep, and again, if you for some reason need more than the stuff built in to X, BMD and others have some nice options here

[Mark Suszko] audio functionality,

Mostly there. Some people miss tracks, but I find cutting audio to be way easier in X even with the few remaining UI issues. These will go away soon...

[Mark Suszko] round-tripping to Motion and other apps,

Not yet, but I'm sure it's on Apple's radar

[Mark Suszko] ability to externally monitor

Done.

With FCP X, a BMD box with Media Express, a copy of X2Pro, a copy of EDL-X you're pretty much set. And for not much $$. About 1/2 what FCS cost, minus the BMD box, which you'd need even with 7 for monitoring.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 8, 2013 at 11:59:52 pm

[Charlie Austin] "[Mark Suszko] can it deliver at least everything we had in 7, with regards to machine control,

Nope, though there are plenty of 3'rd party solutions to this if you need it. Blackmagic has some reall nice, inexpensive stuff"

Let's be perfectly clear here. FCPX has no tools for tape out. You would have to export a finished master file and then use something else (FCP7) to then layback frame accurately to tape. No way to layback from a timeline, no way to insert edit a correction. Nada.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 9, 2013 at 12:29:38 am

[Herb Sevush] "Let's be perfectly clear here. FCPX has no tools for tape out. You would have to export a finished master file and then use something else (FCP7) to then layback frame accurately to tape. No way to layback from a timeline, no way to insert edit a correction. Nada."

Correct. If you have FCP 7 and/or a broadcast monitor box (AJA,BMD etc), you likely have all the tools you need.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on May 8, 2013 at 6:04:17 pm

It's pretty good now. We are using it and happy with it for the most part. I think most people who give an honest assessment in here will tell you they like some things while other things need some work. Just approach it like a completely different app when you pick it up to do work for the first time. It certainly can do broadcast work at this point. Sharing of projects back and forth is possible, but it does require some thought because the setup is different.

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 8, 2013 at 6:34:15 pm

We still shoot on tape as well as P2, will continue to do so for a few years, and I'm trying to get off P2 and onto SDHC cards, down the road, but we'll still have a mix of formats and recording media for a while. How would I bring in my DVCpro HD tape footage, and play edited masters back out of the imac, (or mac tower to be revealed at some point in the future), back onto tape, or dub it out to BluRay, or upload it to a server?

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on May 8, 2013 at 6:36:18 pm

AJA VTR xchange, black magic media express or you can also pay for something like the tools on air just:in or softron stuff. Or you can still use fcp7 for capture and layback.

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 8, 2013 at 6:48:06 pm

[Mark Suszko] " How would I bring in my DVCpro HD tape footage, and play edited masters back out of the imac, (or mac tower to be revealed at some point in the future), back onto tape, or dub it out to BluRay, or upload it to a server?"

As Keith points out, AJA, BMD, or FCP 7 (we use that) for Capture/Layoff. You can do Blu-Ray from X, though the menus are fairly spartan. You can upload to YouTube or Vimeo from the app... to go to a server it's just like anything else, export the cut as whatever you want and upload it.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 8, 2013 at 7:05:11 pm

Hi Mark,

To chime in with everybody else, it totally works. In case you didn't see that FCPX On-Air blog I did, that'll pretty much show you the way. One cool thing we do now is have a single mac mini in the tape room for digitizing and layback through a Sonnet echo express with Blackmagic card for deck control. It's kind of nice not having to worry about which suite has deck control, etc. The little mini chugs through HDCam with no problem.

We bounce events and projects around between sweets so often during the day it's silly. I like it - and I own it. it's pretty great.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 8, 2013 at 7:26:55 pm

[John Davidson] " I like it - and I own it. it's pretty great."

Trouble-maker.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 8, 2013 at 7:29:52 pm

LOL!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 8, 2013 at 7:05:36 pm

Also, you can call me directly if you'd like to talk about it.

Return to posts index

Chris Lehmann
on May 8, 2013 at 8:11:17 pm

Reading the responses in this thread makes me wonder why many video pros I talk to still scrunch up their face at any mention of FCPX. I was talking to some video guys at a conference a few weeks back and mentioned I cut the videos for the conference on FCPX. They scoffed at this and said they would never touch it because they knew it was "complete crap", "iMovie Pro" and "a toy". Why is this attitude still so prevalent, and what has to change for people to change their knee-jerk reaction to it's initial release?

I'm a convert from FCP7 and I love the X workflow once it clicked with me. The biggest benefit, as others have said, is that you can accomplish the same things you could in other programs in half the time. Especially for fast-turnaround stuff like news and broadcast this is a massive advantage!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on May 8, 2013 at 9:05:51 pm

Balancing things out a bit. Theres things i like, theres things i hate. Theres nothing i love, and nothing i see compelling enough to jump in full time especially with other very capable options on the market. The general consensus where i live (LA), is thats it DOA. Call that just plain ignorance or what you will, but it hasnt broke into any markets im seeing, especially broadcast.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 8, 2013 at 9:19:17 pm

That is changing, Neil. I think by end of summer we'll have some interesting developments regarding this. Probably the biggest hangup right now is shared systems on a large scale. Good luck with the launch, btw!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 8, 2013 at 9:30:54 pm

[John Davidson] "Good luck with the launch, btw!

"

Yeah, break a leg on the Esquire thing. It sounds like fun!

Return to posts index

Chris Phoenix
on Dec 22, 2013 at 2:05:59 pm

Neil,

I am a card carrying member of the "I hate FCPx" club too, but to be fair, I haven't kept up with updates and am not sure what the major issues still are.

Can you kindly be more specific about what it is about FCPx that you don't like? Your response was a touch vague.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 9, 2013 at 3:54:54 pm

[Chris Lehmann] "The biggest benefit, as others have said, is that you can accomplish the same things you could in other programs in half the time. Especially for fast-turnaround stuff like news and broadcast this is a massive advantage!"

If this is the biggest benefit, then that's great for the fast-turnaround (disposable) market. However, if your project requires thought and review, although "sharing out" an upload is an advantage for non-participatory collaboration, then is editing speed an issue at all? I still don't think there is an AMPAS award for "fastest editing", although I do hear over and over that any editor's greatest attribute was that "he (sic) was really fast". Maybe this is a hangover form when edit suites went for large sums of money / hour.

What is genuinely fascinating to me is how many argue for the "all-inclusive" application so that the one-man-band can do everything right in the timeline. And then if that function is not available, then the apologists are all over the, "well, there's always a plug-in or third party solution, or external support... blah, blah, blah...." Sounds the same out of both sides of the mouth to me.

When desktop publishing took over, the promise was for a fast, efficient, paperless industry. Now we use more paper than ever, an author does everything themselves, the spell checkers don't work, and there is no fact-checking. Even in the days of the Apple II, processors were wasting (relatively speaking one computer cycle = one human heartbeat) entire lifetimes waiting for a human to hit the keyboard again even if they were banging out an ellipsis...

This whole speed and efficiency thing is, as Frank Herbert philosophized, the work of Satan.

And its really more than two years later. Seems like an awfully long time reinventing the wheel when you already know it should at least be "round".

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 9, 2013 at 6:49:19 pm

[Joseph Owens] "And its really more than two years later. Seems like an awfully long time reinventing the wheel when you already know it should at least be "round"."

It's round. :-)

I think there are still too many folks trying to "justify" using X. I sometimes fall into that trap as well. But really, save for a few "niche" functions (some of which I need in my niche BTW) which have external solutions or are still WIP's, X seriously kicks ass. Other than just plain not liking the timeline, there's no technical reason that can't be fairly easily overcome not to use it. Also, it's fun. ;-)

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 9, 2013 at 7:34:25 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I think there are still too many folks trying to "justify" using X. "

Guilty!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 13, 2013 at 12:34:04 am

Fast turn around disposable market...

Yeah it's true. My client are flaky, slow, who
Cares about quality literati.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 13, 2013 at 12:09:38 am

X is better than 7.

Magnetism is genius.

There's so many keyboard shortcuts and mouse overs that I can't explain any of it.

My first project in X was (now) an award winning short film, a project I was paid a decent amount of dough. It was a 90:1 shooting ratio. This after making literally a thousand ads:mograph, Mark I was super frustrated the first couple of days. Just importing footage was weird. I read the manual a lot. And from a time budget point of view it actually took three times as long. Now I get it. And that issues is resolved asto create a net gain.

Workflow: if you're gonna test it, you gotta make. Deliverable. Phuquing around with it won't provide the deliverable customers need, the impetus from you to finish.

In other matters: is my x-ray still around?

Hope you're well. Nice to read you here too.

Typed on iPhone. Plz mentally redact as necessary

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 13, 2013 at 2:12:51 am

Yes, Richard, the x-ray is still around. The project I needed it for went into client approval limbo since then, so the public has yet to see it, actually. But I keep the original around because that is such a useful prop for the many related projects I do, I'm sure it WILL get into another project eventually.

I think I'll dip my toe in the water with a trail of X at home first, before I go burning all my boats, but if you say it's not hard to change to X, that carries a lot of weight with me.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Sep 15, 2014 at 2:06:04 pm

Just noticed BBC have chosen FCPX for news and are using it else-ware (i.e. the Culture Shop). Seem the response from BBC staff has been very positive.

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]