FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another slight diversion and a question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. Bourke
Another slight diversion and a question
on May 8, 2013 at 2:01:05 pm

OK...the editing contingent is up in arms, and the fur is flying. On both this forum and the Premiere Pro forum, there is active dissent against Adobe and their payment plan.

I click over to the Photoshop forum - not a peep. I click over to the Illustrator forum - not a peep. Same with the Flash, Dreamweaver, and all the other Adobe-related forums (other than cross-posts copied from these forums by the COW).

Is there something about us motion graphics people - used as a broad term to include editors - that makes us leap to the barricades whenever something strikes us the wrong way? Or is there something Adobe has built into the print graphics and web design software which lulls the user into a false sense of complacency...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: Another slight diversion and a question
on May 8, 2013 at 2:24:44 pm

Who knows? Maybe because editors use Photoshop, etc and so don't bother posting their dislike in all forums. Though I don't love it my problem is not with the subscription model. I'm afraid that is just the wave of the future. My concern - well, my principal concern - was the difficulty I had when apps decided not to open. It was nightmarish and I can only hope it doesn't happen again. I also don't like that doing a clean install (which sometimes has to happen) of all the apps is not really a practical option with CC.
Uninstalling and the reinstalling one by one is a real pain.

Tim

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 8, 2013 at 2:36:48 pm

That's a good point Tim, and one issue I brought up either in this forum or the PPro forum, was, can I back up the software in case a re-install is necessary, and I don't have web access at the time? We all know that glitches and problems tend to happen at the worst possible times, when we're in the middle of a project. It would be good to know whether we can at least make a local backup of the Cloud install, to have just in case. It would be able to be used as long as there is a valid Cloud license on the machine.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 8, 2013 at 2:58:38 pm

All this would be fixed if they'd just let us buy the license in larger than 30 day blocks. Why can't I give them $600 bucks and pay for a year? I hate monthly bills. I like to know that when I don't have work, I don't have bills.

I think the issue they have isn't the money, but the licensing. It checks in every 30 days to make sure you've only got it installed on the correct number of machines. If it were to check in every 12 months, it'd be pretty easy to install it on many more than 2 machines.

I've been on the cloud for a year. I have web apps on one machine, and video apps on the other. That's the 2 install limit. Occasionally we'll install photoshop or AE on the laptop on a shoot. When we activate the 3rd install, it deactivates the other two. Although they might not get deactivated for up to 30 days when they check in. So my guess is that's why even if we could buy for longer periods, we'd still need to check in every 30 days.

But if they could change that system somehow. Have a lock of sorts where you could activate on a system for a year, and no other activations would be permitted unless you manually deactivate the first system, then, problem solved. But then you've got problems if that system crashes or gets rebuilt without first deactivating. I don't think adobe wants any part of that mess.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 2:38:24 pm

no - they've been getting absolute hell from photographers, just in different places. Their Facebook page is a war site when you dig in - I threw a tomato at them there too. this whole post is directed at photographers who are losing the block with adobe:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/08/Adobe-photoshop-cc

quote -

Were you expecting such a negative response from the photographic community?

We expected a higher degree of this type of reaction from the hobbyist photographic community because currently there's not a lot of photography-specific value in our subscription products. That's why we've taken the unusual steps of Tom Hogarty's appearance on The Grid [a Scott Kelby webisode] showing potential Lightroom CC features and the Photoshop Sneak Peek where we showed new features like Camera Shake reduction.

also, intriguingly, some of them over at adobe may be getting sweaty under the collar -
there's an odd quote at the end of the interview.

As far as the future of CS applications, in his Adobe MAX keynote, David Wadhwani said, 'We have no plans' to continue perpetual licenses. We are not ruling that out in the future.

thats an escape hatch statement.

Some people in adobe have to be fairly unhappy at a prime release of CS being swamped by masses of community backlash and FUD. At the end of the day, this all feels largely the work of Shantanu Narayen. that guy would run that entire company into the ground to get an extra fifty bucks out of it for the fund managers holding the shares. I don't think he sees a customer base at all.

I think he just sees wallets, credit cards and bank accounts that he needs to get into on a regular basis.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 8, 2013 at 4:04:56 pm

Thanks Andreas -

Photoshop is a minor, yet critical part of my toolset (mainly AE, PPro, and Illustrator, plus some other project work in Flash). So I was surprised to find no ruckus on the PS forum. It's just occurring elsewhere.

I'd still love to know whether there is an option to save the Adobe install files from the Cloud, so that, although they are tied to the Cloud subscription check, they can be re-installed if the web is down, which it can be in my neck of the woods (New Hampshire).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 8, 2013 at 5:12:47 pm

Lots of dissatisfaction throughout the Mac community. People are pissed. Many thoughtful comments here:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/applications/index.html#d08may2013

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]