FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creative Cloud - Some Peace of Mind Offered...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Vaughan
Creative Cloud - Some Peace of Mind Offered...
on May 8, 2013 at 1:23:25 pm

As many of you have seen, I've railed against the "cloud" as being the only option. I'm not against it as a whole, mind you, but am concerned with it as the only option. Great points have been argued, for which some have been answered. Adobe has, to its credit, eased most of my concerns according to its extensive facts on their website and via Todd, Denise, Steve, and others. (Walter B, a big shout out to you as well).

First and foremost: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

A breakdown of a few of my biggest concerns:

#1: Not owning the software.
While this is "true", it would appear that we are able to save our future projects backwards to CS6. Meaning, IF I/we decided to shut down ops or whatever crazy scenario, we could simply save our projects as a CS6 version for future useage. Also, if we don't like paying each month, the same could apply. While not 100% ideal, it does offer some peace of mind.

#2: Multiple Computers.
I/we personally own 2 licenses which allow us to run 2 computers simultaneous. According to the Faq, we will only need 1 license to run 2 computers, at the same time. So where I was paying for 2, I only need 1. And from some of the feedback from current users, we're able to transfer active licenses to other computers if needed with ease. This also translates to having 1 Mac and 1 PC on 1 license vs what they previously offered, separate PC and Mac licenses.

#3: Botched Upgrades
Hey, like it or not, companies have botched their "upgrades". From Windows Millenium to the AVCHD issue in CS6, we all know upgrades can be treacherous. From what I understand, when the upgrades are announced, we have the option of installing or waiting.

#4: Adobe Bank
One of my personal quirks is I prefer to pay upfront and not be billed monthly. It's cleaner and easier on my (lack of) accounting skillz. Amazon (and soon probably our other venders we've developed relationships over the years, Toolfarm, Videoguys, etc) offer pre-paid yearly purchases.

There is talk, though I've not confirmed or have positive proof, that in the future there will be various levels/tiers offered rather than access to all the programs. I do hope this to be the case, as I'd personally rather only pay for what I need and use. We have that with Production Premium, or Web..., and it's great as we aren't paying full price for the programs we just don't need.

In the end, it does feel like we're the ones who are being asked to take the risk. Currently, If Adobe botches and upgrade, we simply don't purchase. This of course forces them to make something that we will want, thereby ensuring their ROI. While they may offer their solution that if we don't like it, we can simply stop paying and wait til they do have something we want. I'd argue this as not really possible--or, rather a large headache. We all know that we operate machines, deadlines and get caught up in our day to day work, and simply will not have time to save all our files to pre-cloud compatible formats. Adobe is counting on this. So the deck is stacked in their favor.
This also translates to future pricing. They could start to reason that $50/month is less than a tank of gas, and they could easily justify doubling or tripling that. As we are seeing now, a trend is emerging of "revenue down, profits are up". With the core of our business models build around Adobe products, it will be hard to break from them. So we are at their mercy, in a sense. However, as what generally happens in life, when one company tries to mess with its vision, other companies step in and fill the void. (We've seen that with Walmart and Target in the last few years, as simply an example)

In the end, I do see change happening whether I want it or not. I'm just really hoping that Adobe will continue its trend toward making great products at reasonable cost points, and allowing me--us to continue doing what we absolutely love doing.

But that's just my opinion...

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
Re: Creative Cloud - Some Peace of Mind Offered...
on May 8, 2013 at 1:51:22 pm

[Tim Vaughan] "There is talk, though I've not confirmed or have positive proof, that in the future there will be various levels/tiers offered rather than access to all the programs. I do hope this to be the case, as I'd personally rather only pay for what I need and use. We have that with Production Premium, or Web..., and it's great as we aren't paying full price for the programs we just don't need. "

This is something that's not being discussed as much as it probably should be.

If one imagines a Production Premium user who perhaps skips every third upgrade, and tends to buy upgrades from retailers that provide, say, a 10% discount off list price (not uncommon), then Creative Cloud — through which Adobe offers no option equivalent to Production Premium, offers no way to skip upgrades, and sells only direct — is over twice the annual price. That's a little crazy.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on May 8, 2013 at 2:07:08 pm

I think Adobe has been very clever since the release of FCPX, not only in the development of Premiere but in the way they have marketed themselves. Apple is always criticised for not communicating with their customers whereas Adobe have gone out of their way to do the opposite. They make a big deal of being seen to listen to their customers, implement feedback and generally be open about the direction they're going in (to a point I think). Hopefully this is not just a marketing strategy and they actually do care because if so I think they'll iron out the concerns that people have and as Tim says continue their trend towards making great products.

Personally I'd like to see some kind of 'Right-To-Buy' option where after a certain number of months you can pay an extra $50-100 or so and download an unrestricted copy of the software (that doesn't require a membership of any kind). I think this would help with the current ownership issue (after 5 or 10 years subscription I think it's a bit unfair to own nothing having been such a dedicated user). Perhaps you could even qualify for discounts and/or lower rates once a certain number of months have passed, similar to phone companies offering you discounts when your contract is up for renewal (perhaps if other vendors choose this business model we will see this as a strategy for customer retention).

Generally though I feel a lot more positive with Adobe and am happy to use their products and see where they go. And if it starts to feel like a rip off I will go elsewhere, which hopefully Adobe are smart enough to see from the reaction to FCPX.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 2:58:53 pm

[Tim Vaughan] " it would appear that we are able to save our future projects backwards to CS6. "

not true, only applies to a few of the print and web apps. Its on adobe's page.

[Tim Vaughan] "#2: Multiple Computers.
I/we personally own 2 licenses which allow us to run 2 computers simultaneous. According to the Faq, we will only need 1 license to run 2 computers, at the same time. So where I was paying for 2,"

you always had two licenses. the only difference is that you can go cross platform with the second one. You cant run CC licenses simultaneously.

[Tim Vaughan] "
There is talk, though I've not confirmed or have positive proof, that in the future there will be various levels/tiers offered rather than access to all the programs. I do hope this to be the case, as I'd personally rather only pay for what I need and use. We have that with Production Premium, or Web..., and it's great as we aren't paying full price for the programs we just don't need.
"

Why would they do that? Shantanu Narayen and adobe have a plan: which is to wring the most amount of money out of all of us as is humanly feasible by throwing us face first into a force feed all you can eat software buffet, shove our faces in the plate, while they help themselves to our walllets and bank accounts in perpetuity:

because mate: we are only renters now and Adobe is the Landlord. And Landlords never put up the rent do they?

It stinks. seriously - this really does stink to high heaven from my perspective. And the fact that they're masking it all in this new creative community in the cloud sharing kuler colour wheels online....
It makes you want to barf frankly.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Andy Field
Re: Creative Cloud - Some Peace of Mind Offered...Reason many are wrong about this
on May 8, 2013 at 3:22:21 pm

Good post about "why the Adobe Cloud haters are misinformed"

http://photofocus.com/2013/05/08/10-reasons-the-haters-are-mad-about-adobe-...

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Creative Cloud - Some Peace of Mind Offered...Reason many are wrong about this
on May 8, 2013 at 3:25:55 pm

better post about how we're all screwed in the long run here.

http://timelapse.org/2013/05/adobes-creative-monopoly/

I'm serious Andy -
read those last four or five paragraphs and have a think about where this is likely going.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 8, 2013 at 3:54:53 pm

Aindreas, your posts are entertaining, and often informative, but do you like anything?

No one has a gun to your head to buy this - if you don't like it - find an equally good After Effects or Photoshop made by someone else who will sell it with a perpetual license

They've invested millions in creating tools that makes a lot of us money - if you don't like the tool, make your own, or find someone who's created the perfect thing that costs next to nothing and will keep upgrading it for a tiny fee.

My production company buys every upgrade - each makes us more productive... and the CC subscription isn't far off the yearly upgrade price - plus you get everything they make - that's a bargain for access to all that creative horsepower. Don't like it? Stick with CS6 - Unlike FCP 7 EOL, Adobe said they'll sell it for the foreseeable future. They are GIVING AWAY CS 3...for free!

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 8, 2013 at 3:59:14 pm

[Andy Field] "No one has a gun to your head to buy this - if you don't like it - find an equally good After Effects or Photoshop made by someone else who will sell it with a perpetual license"

You are, of course, making a huge leap that such a thing exists.

It doesn't.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 8, 2013 at 4:29:01 pm

"there isn't another after effects or photoshop"

Which is why Adobe can set up the payment plan they want - they've made a huge investment - now they're making their profit. If you run a business and don't do this you don't remain in business very long.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 8, 2013 at 4:30:36 pm

[Andy Field] "Which is why Adobe can set up the payment plan they want - they've made a huge investment - now they're making their profit. If you run a business and don't do this you don't remain in business very long."

They've been making a profit for well before Creative Cloud. Seriously, I'm having to trash my own side of this issue because of the b.s.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on May 8, 2013 at 4:49:39 pm

[Gary Huff] "You are, of course, making a huge leap that such a thing exists.
"

Exactly, but I assume Andy's post was intentionally snarky.
A monopoly is a monopoly and as a rule (and for historically great reason) they are frowned upon by societies.
I like Adobe products.
We live by them day to day with PS, Illustrator and Dreamweaver as mainstays in my shop.
But it's pretty obvious who's best interest this big move serves.
I seriously doubt that the senior meetings leading up to it began with, or ended with, or included, "What's in the best interest of our users".

You can definitely parse it and find different advantages for different levels of users, but come on, there's one unequivocal and ongoing beneficiary of this move and it's the monopolizer.

Creative Cloud is simply a clever euphemism.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 8, 2013 at 5:21:18 pm

Jim,

I suspect that this is probably serving one category of user quite well - the larger clients. It may even be seen as a lowering of costs to them, where smaller clients see it as a rise in costs.

The arstechnica posting has put it most succinctly:
The people who the software-as-a-service phenomenon hurts are the those who use the software infrequently, would rather not upgrade to each new version as it rolls out, and are content to continue using old versions until they literally will not run on new hardware and operating systems.

It seems educational pricing is hit particularly hard by this (as we've seen here in the forum). But that may be self-correcting as institutions start teaching other software.

But, yeah, I roll my eyes whenever someone posts "Won't somebody please think of the corporations and their shareholders!".

Franz.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 4:00:02 pm

[Andy Field] " if you don't like the tool, make your own, "

how the hell does that work? I make my own AE?

I want to buy the damn license Andy.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 8, 2013 at 4:30:07 pm

"I want to buy the damn license, Andy"

If you hold your breath and turn blue, I'm sure they'll change their mind.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 8, 2013 at 4:33:07 pm

[Andy Field] "If you hold your breath and turn blue, I'm sure they'll change their mind."

Yeah, because bitching over licensing schemes never works.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on May 8, 2013 at 5:02:13 pm

Adobe stock has lost market value during the last 2 days after the announcment, so maybe that will work.

Maybe thats why the adobe CEo just said that they where not planning any CS version instead of saying that there will be no future CS version. HMM. an escape hatch?

Richard

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 8, 2013 at 7:04:42 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "Maybe thats why the adobe CEo just said that they where not planning any CS version instead of saying that there will be no future CS version. HMM. an escape hatch?"

I would be surprised if Adobe doesn't backtrack on this issue.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 8, 2013 at 4:11:58 pm

I keep seeing the dooms day scenario of people saying, "Well, certainly now that Adobe has this subscription model they will certain stop innovating" and I don't understand the logic behind that. Lack of competition (or lack of perceived competition) lets companies get lazy. Did Avid need a subscription model to become complacent w/MC? Did MS need one to get complacent with Windows?

If Abobe's master plan was to destroy the competition then coast they would have done it years ago, IMO. If they get complacent now is $50/mo really going to keep people from jumping ship? No. Heck, when Avid had people on installment plans because each seat of MC was the price of a luxury car people still found the gumption to switch to FCP so I don't think Adobe's subscription will be an insurmountable hurdle. Learning new workflows and new software will be a bigger hurdle for most user, I would imagine.

Sure, if Adobe gets lazy it will take time for the really hardcore AE, PS and Illustrator users to find equal alternatives but filling voids is the nature of the market place right? A disgruntled customer of Company X is a potential customer for Company X's competition.

Maybe if I used Adobe's products all day, every day I'd feel differently about the situation. Who knows.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 8, 2013 at 4:34:29 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I keep seeing the dooms day scenario of people saying, "Well, certainly now that Adobe has this subscription model they will certain stop innovating" and I don't understand the logic behind that."

You can't really say either way at one point. To many people, the suite feels nearly complete. Perhaps there isn't much left to innovate on...perhaps there is.

Only time will tell.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on May 8, 2013 at 3:56:08 pm

[Andy Field] "Good post about "why the Adobe Cloud haters are misinformed"
"

Seriously?
Good in what way?
It's terribly written, with all the acumen and insight of a junior high term paper.
Then again who wouldn't marvel at the clever "haters" device for every paragraph lead.

There's a really simple question I ask of the motives and actions of all businesses and politicians: Are they in my best interest or yours?

With politicians it should always be in my best interest but rarely is.

With businesses there should always be the healthy dynamic tension that (theoretically) makes capitalism work- decisions/change serve both our interests.

This decision, to anyone looking at it objectively, serves one party in a very obvious and ongoing fashion.

I dont think it's very hard to see which one that is.

I'm seeing a lot of "here's why Adobe isn't evil" defenses as they make a huge change that will make them lot more money in perpetuity.

Okay, I'm all ears as to how this is benefits the people they serve in some equivalent manner.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 8, 2013 at 4:19:39 pm

[Jim Giberti] "It's terribly written, with all the acumen and insight of a junior high term paper."

Yeah, here's one thing that's complete b.s. from that article:

Nobody is holding a shotgun to your head making you buy their products. There are lots of alternatives.

There aren't really that many alternatives. I've looked at GIMP...it's a nightmare UI design. Functional, yes, but not a replacement. Lightworks? Requires a yearly subscription to be usable (no XDCam, AVCHD, ProRes, XF, or H.264 support without paying them $60 per year).

But for people like me, the switch to the Creative Cloud has been a Godsend. I personally couldn’t be happier about the plan. I get more frequent updates.

Bullshit. Adobe has been updating about at the same pace since CS3 came out. Updates haven't been automagically been installed to my machine with Creative Cloud, though I simply have a second option now (I can install updates through Adobe Application Manager, or through the "Updates" function under the help menu).

The haters simply don’t understand it.

Please, this is the same stupid crap the FCPXers keep spouting, and it's equally as ridiculous here. I have had a good experience with CC and yet I completely see the point from the other side of the coin. Not to say there isn't a ton of FUD being spread, but it is what it is.

The haters say Adobe is greedy. Apparently they didn’t see that Adobe just made CS2 free of charge (edit). How greedy of them. Here’s the link — http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/.

Wow, and that was completely not true. Even on the link it says you shouldn't download it unless you own it.

The haters think that if they create PSD files and then stop subscribing they will never be able to open those files again. This is just plain stupid and just plain wrong. I know of about 10 different software programs that not only open but manipulate PSD files. You also always have the option of saving TIFF files, etc.

Well, yes. If the software stops working and you can't even get into it to save a different version (are we seriously supposed to be constantly saving two versions just in case this happens? That's stupid.), and then, say, GIMP can't open the PSD correctly (as has been reported here for certain files), you are in a shit-load of trouble.

They have more incentive than ever to improve the program. If they don’t keep it current, then you cancel your subscription and switch to something else.

Again, assuming you can just switch to something else. What exactly? We had to bust monopolies in the past because it's not simply a foregone conclusion that if you treat your customers like crap, they'll just move on to something else. There's not always something else to move onto. Just look at the state of ISPs in the U.S.

10. (This is the REAL reason for 90% of the noise!) The haters are mad because they realize they can no longer pirate copies of Photoshop.

Oh come on. Adobe software will be even easier to pirate now. Do you heat me? EVEN EASIER. Why? Because it connects to an activation service once every thirty days. How to pirate? Fake activation server that runs locally. They've been doing this sort of thing since Windows 7/Office 2010, so I'd assume they have it pretty well down by now.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 8, 2013 at 4:31:29 pm

The reason Adobe has a monopoly, at least with After Effects, is that it's the best compositing tool out there for the price. I owned and loved Combustion, but it never really competed (I think that was Discreet Logic's mismanagement, and the fact that it competed with their high-end tools) with AE, although at the time it had a better keyer, tracker, and several other features (animated vector paint comes to mind) that blew AE away.

I think the strength of Adobe lies in its' integration of the toolset. Everything looks similar - faster learning path - everything works with all the other apps - great integration. Why wouldn't it have a monopoly? For what I do - it's the best choice!

The argument here - I hope - will stick to the purchasing mechanism, not the software...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on May 8, 2013 at 5:07:27 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "The argument here - I hope - will stick to the purchasing mechanism, not the software...
"

Have you seen it otherwise Joseph?

All I've read on the internet so far (aside fro the occasional, but expected, "class action" nonsense) is regarding the new business model.

I cant see why anyone passionate about their creative would suddenly be antagonistic toward the tools the use to achieve it.

I absolutely understand why passionate creative people would suddenly be questioning the sudden change in the way they own/operate/budget these critical tools.

An over-arching expression aways comes to mind at times like these: Question Authority.

Accountability is a wonderful thing in all aspects of life and something that becomes more and more evanescent as individuals and corporations become more insular.

At it's essence, Creative Cloud is not a way for Adobe to connect more with it's clients or provide them better products and service; it's a way for them to be more profitable, first and foremost.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 8, 2013 at 5:31:48 pm

Yes I was being snarky about creating your own Photoshop. But that's the point they have a monopoly because the competition either sucked or gave up. This isn't a go government sanctioned monopoly. We helped create it by buying their tools.

But voting with your feet works. Look what happened to Netflix after it raised rates and killed DVD distribution. Mass subscriber exodus. They rescinded all that and begged subscribers to come back. But it was t until they in I aged again that their stock soared and people came back (see House of Cards). If adobe stock drops and people stick with cs 6. Adobe will have to change. In mean time I like the improvements and ill subscribe

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 8, 2013 at 5:46:36 pm

[Andy Field] "But voting with your feet works."

Andy,

While it is important to "Vote with your wallet" as you say, it is not the only way to engage with people and issues. Online forums are a good example of alternatives.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 8, 2013 at 5:59:52 pm

[Andy Field] "But voting with your feet works. Look what happened to Netflix after it raised rates and killed DVD distribution. Mass subscriber exodus."

Netflix didn't kill DVD distribution, they just said they were going to spin it off, and rates never went back down.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 8, 2013 at 6:07:57 pm

http://m.theweek.com/article.php?id=220171

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 8, 2013 at 6:19:55 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said, isn't it? I guess I don't see that as killing DVD distribution as Netflix DVD subscribers would be still be getting DVDs from Netflix but just via a wholly owned subsidiary called Qwikster. While Netflix backed down from that they didn't back away from the price hike. I used to get 1 DVD a month + streaming for like $9/mo. If I want that same service now I have to pay I think $16/mo.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on May 8, 2013 at 6:12:33 pm

[Andy Field] "If adobe stock drops and people stick with cs 6. Adobe will have to change. In mean time I like the improvements and ill subscribe"

Agreed Andy.
My small creative shop is probably a pretty good example of the way that Adobe has penetrated and evolved the market (to their credit IMO).
At any given time we've got in development/production:
A few films and TV spots.
A couple of websites.
Interactive museum exhibits.
Print and web ads and collateral.
Interactive displays/apps.
Original music/radio creative.

Aside from the audio done in Digital Performer and the film/TV in FCP, everything else is produced using Adobe apps.
We've always upgraded our apps regularly but this certainly makes me think of just "locking into" CS6 for the foreseeable future because I just don't like things as amorphous and untested and big in scope of change, as the CC approach.

I'm hardly a kid but I'm anything but old fashioned. As creative director, I'm out there battling with every new camera system, FCPX, all kinds of innovative gear, in virtually every medium, as it brings promise.

I just don't see the innovation or benefit here.
I see all the earmarks of corporate, shareholder based decision making, and that always gives me pause.
CS6 works great and I don't need or desire to work in a cloud.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 9:31:32 pm

[Jim Giberti] "CS6 works great and I don't need or desire to work in a cloud.
"

thats the thing - the guys bleeding to get it out - the guys on stage at max (did you see the guy for AE? plus al mooney is fairly palpably a mensch) - are turning out just flat out great software. I basically adore CS6 and I'm half mad to get my hands on PPro7 -

but stepping back, looking at adobe corporate, I swear to god this suddenly feels like a really dodgy situation.

I will do PPro perpetual rent with adobe as landlord - but that really is exactly as far as I will go. The rest of the suite has my legal name on it at CS6. I've paid for that.

There is just no way i am taking two shots of Kuler colour wheels -and for the love of god please - 20 GB of a locker and wandering off into shantanu narayen's rental scheme. Where I am renting off Shantanu Narayen.

Coincidentally I asked Shantanyu about this earlier and he said:

"CreativecloudCreativecloudCreativecloudCreativecloudCreativecloudCreativecloud"

then he hit me over the head with a teapot and took my wallet.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 8, 2013 at 9:37:28 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I will do PPro perpetual rent with adobe as landlord - but that really is exactly as far as I will go. The rest of the suite has my legal name on it at CS6. I've paid for that. "

One thing though--If you have CS6, isn't the current year of the whole Suite the same price as Pr, alone?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 10:10:08 pm

actually - its a little more - I've thought about that. I get a discount on single app coming from CS3 and above that dips below the discount I get on the suite coming from CS6.

My real point is that I am not willing to start executing AE in CC. PS has granite backwards compatibility. And I'll rent PPro - but there is just no way I'm going to get acclimatised to perpetual rent for adobe software. Seriously Chris -look at this guy:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/adobe-chief-dodges-questio...

I mean - ok , creative cloud whatever, but adobe were in the process, under his leadership, of gouging the eyes out of australian customers. to an incredible degree.

are you willing to transition to a rental scheme where this guy is calling the rent? I'm not calling doomsday - but - on a near animal level - I don't trust where adobe are inclined to take this once everyone is paying them rent. I just do not trust the landlord.

As much as anything, I fundamentally don't trust Shantanyu Nararyan.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 8, 2013 at 11:19:19 pm

I just wanted to make sure you knew that if you own 6, you can now get CC for 19.99 instead of 29.99. I went and swapped mine out earlier today. And, since you are planning on paying 19.99 for Pr, I wanted to make sure you knew about the deal. That's all.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2013 at 11:44:57 pm

I actually get PPRo for eight quid a month.

one has done the sums here.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 9, 2013 at 1:07:49 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I actually get PPRo for eight quid a month.

one has done the sums here.
"

Wow. That's like 12.50 a month. NOT a bad deal.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 9, 2013 at 2:18:18 am

It's really not a cash issue chris - it's how much of my toolset I'm willing to lose basic control over. PPro is it.

I am not walking an inch into the rest of the adobe rental show. not with CS6 in hand?
- ask me again in two years when we see whether adobe actually did hit an update brick wall. CS6 is killer and i own it.

But most of the stuff in it is ver. 12 -15 and ten to thirty years old for gods sake. Adobe might be getting tired of this?
Left on the open market a lot of this might be supposed to die? I mean that in the best way possible. part of me thinks they never recovered from how stupid everything got about flash.

you might think adobe corporate threw everything they had at CS6-7 to get at a working rental landlord steady state.
I almost think adobe really are at a point where they just want to pick up a rent payment -

- and fire a lot of people internally, and kill a lot of R&D.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 9, 2013 at 2:38:28 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "you might think adobe corporate threw everything they had at CS6-7 to get at a working rental landlord steady state.
I almost think adobe really are at a point where they just want to pick up a rent payment -

- and fire a lot of people internally, and kill a lot of R&D."

Then people would just walk out in droves. It's not like $50/mo is a giant boat anchor hanging around someone's neck. Being six figures in debt to Avid while watching FCP Legend and 'fast enough' consumer desktops drop the bottom out of the market... now that's a money hole you can't just walk away from.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]