FORUMS: list search recent posts

Now I am very optimistic about FCPX: ThunderBolt Future?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekbergh
Now I am very optimistic about FCPX: ThunderBolt Future?
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:52:26 pm

The only way that FCPX makes sense to me is if Apple is being really clever and bold, they have always been very innovative and ready to make extreme moves that seem crazy at first. Like abandoning the floppy. OK I show my age here. Now they are dropping DVD's on many products.

My guess is that Apple will be abandoning the tower computer and only be making Imac style computers in the future, no PCIe or internal additional bays. This is only speculation, but this makes sense to me.

I think everything external will be Thunderbolt in the future. It is very fast and versatile and according to apple replaces PCI and display port.

"That’s because Thunderbolt is based on two fundamental technologies: PCI Express and DisplayPort." Quote from Apple.

"To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter." Quote from Apple.

It already works with Matrox MX02 and Blackmagic UltraStudio 3D.

And it will be RAID storage as well.

"Adapters
Promise SAN Link Fibre Channel adapter
Sonnet Allegro FireWire 800 adapter
Sonnet Presto Gigabit Ethernet adapter"
Quote from Apple.

If I am right then this is really cool and makes sense.

Apple is just lowering the cost and simplifying the Pro Video editing situation.

Remember when you had to change all your NUBUS cards to PCI based cards. Well I think this is the way of the future.

With this in mind I feel very positive about the new FCPX. And I bet the rest of the world will slowly follow.

And I bet we will have XML or similar import/export real soon from Apple or 3rd parties.

What is more I really like the database based media management, and the new timeline is very promising and fast.

Lets hope I am right.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
Re: Now I am very optimistic about FCPX: ThunderBolt Future?
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:15:47 pm

Olof:

Really glad to hear someone else thinkin just like me.
Although i think the tower thing will be done in a transitionary way.
I think the DVD drives will be dropped first making room for a narrower type tower with PCI e slots then later the pros will be more in the line of what the "cubes" used to be so that more fit more processors in there. Again all just speculation on my part. But yes there are already adaptors from promise,
http://www.promise.com/storage/raid_series.aspx?region=en-US&m=1054&sub_m=s...

and others on the way for thunderbolt.

When FCP first came out in 99 i laughed at it and didnt even acknowledge it much. for i was an avid editor(who did media100 if the client was willing to pay enough). By version 2 i was all over it, ignoring avid for one simple reason. i could edit directly with QT files and not have to export import every damn minute AND it worked flawlessly with my DSR20.

now i like what X is doing on many fronts but it need to be fixed. I am on the high end side of things and NEED XML, OMF and to use a grading application. Sorry but that color pad thing just will not give the control necessary. so ill be getting myself Resolve 8. I also need to actually use my kona card, not as a preview out

BUT FCP7 still works flawlessly so ill just wait and let the ecosystems build , fixes happen and all the hoopla settle down.
THEN ill go across

RED,DSLR, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:18:33 pm

I agree with almost all of what you have said with regards to what they might do.
But that would also mean color grading with Resolve on an iMac, audio postproduction on an iMac,
mac mini the only possible server solution and thousands and thousands of dollars
of thousands and thousands of people for video, audio, fibre channel and raid cards flushed right down the toilet.
That simply... isn't nice and that's nothing I can be excited or happy about.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:19:34 pm

I agree about iMac & Thunderbolt. I am concerned along with the rest about making a professional bit of software "simpler" however. When it's made less complex, it probably introduces limitations on the myriad ways it can be used to slice the bread. Professional editors CANNOT be forced to all make their bread the same way. We all have different needs, from subtle to wildly different. A limitation that I may care nothing about will totally bollux the editor sitting next to me. THIS is the hue & cry that is happening now. Well, I'm PO'd about STILL not being able to use the expensive processors & RAM in my MacPro to their fullest, but that's another story. (Still meaning FCP7, which will now never use those assets.)

I pray that Apple is paying attention. I do not want to switch. I want to work faster.

But if they intend to take away tools that pay my mortgage, I will be on Premiere faster than soft cut.

Return to posts index

John Berpskin
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:30:17 pm

Well said olof. Thunderbolt and FCP X, in my opinion, is the direction Apple sees as the future. A recent ABC report listed large post houses among the top 10 dying industries.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-10-dying-industries-us-include-newspaper...

If you read the article, they list the availability of FCP as part of the reason. That said Apple may see the future as ability moving from post house to individual, which shouldn't be a shock because the bundling of suites (FCP Studio, Avid Suite and Adobe CS) suggest software allowing creatives access to all aspects of the production process.

Collaboration and file transfer will still happen, but all indicators point to the individual, not the collective. Thunderbolt and FCP X suggest that to me.

Return to posts index

Stepan Grasvenoff
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:53:42 pm

Doesn't make sense to me, unless they want to see desks covered in 8 squillion breakout boxes. Machines and equipment racks in the machine room, displays and input devices in the edit rooms.

Then again, Apple doesn't care what we think.

Return to posts index

John Berpskin
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:17:04 pm

Ok Stepan...now you're just being overly dramatic.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:31:41 pm

I agree that Thunderbolt (LightPeak from Intel) will greatly increase the speed of high bitrate data. Maybe soon we can stop using so much compression like h.264 and prores and get back to uncompressed.

And as far as DVD going away... that's fine, but should be replaced by Blu-ray. After all Flash Drives are more efficient.

But this all as little to do with FCPX and art and craft of editing.

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:21:36 pm

Thunderbolt (in its current iteration) is slower than all four PCI-E slots in the Mac Pro. It doesn't have the bandwidth for GPUs or Blackmagic's Decklink 4K or AJA's Ryker.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:46:28 pm

[Keith Pratt] "Thunderbolt (in its current iteration) is slower than all four PCI-E slots in the Mac Pro. It doesn't have the bandwidth for GPUs or Blackmagic's Decklink 4K or AJA's Ryker."

GPUs don't actually use anything close to 16x PCIe bandwidth when they're not slinging textures around for high-end 3D games. And the highest bandwidth format the Decklink 4K outputs is 4096*2160 * 12 bits * 3 channels * 25 frames/sec, which is ~949 MB/s. Thunderbolt's theoretical max is 1250 MB/s, and because it's using PCIe, which has very low overhead, it can probably come pretty close to that.

That said, I do think Apple needs to keep shipping a system with at least two PCIe slots for the moment. Next generation Thunderbolt will likely remove that need in the long run.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:24:55 pm

Black magic just got back to me with this positive message regarding FCPX and Ultra Studio Pro (Thunderbolt):

"Hey Olof,

Thank you for contacting us.

"The new Final Cut Pro is a complete rewrite of the software and because of this, not all the features we need are included in the first release. Blackmagic Design and Apple are working very closely to improve compatibility and to iron out any compatibility issues etc. Please be patient while we work to improve compatibility."

Braeden Burns
Support Representative
Black Magic Design Inc. USA
1-408-954-0500"

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]