FORUMS: list search recent posts

So After Creative Cloud, Is Anyone Reconsidering FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Campanale
So After Creative Cloud, Is Anyone Reconsidering FCPX?
on May 6, 2013 at 11:47:32 pm

I had pretty much made my mind with Premiere, and was extremely excited for "CS7," but I don't know how I feel about Adobe owning my content ... seems like bad business to undertake, and for what? I'm having a hard time figuring out how, in the long run, consumers are getting more out of this.

Any other Premiere converts flirting with the idea?

Moreover, I hear Gimp is a wonderful program ---

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: So After Creative Cloud, Is Anyone Reconsidering FCPX?
on May 7, 2013 at 12:21:41 am

[Joe Campanale] " but I don't know how I feel about Adobe owning my content"

What? Where are you getting that? It's not that they own your content...it's that you are perpetually renting the software from them. If you want to use it...you pay for it when you use it. Even if 4-6 year later.

Thus far Avid is working for what I do...so I might be sticking with this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 7, 2013 at 12:26:44 am

I'll be keeping my eye on Lightworks...

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 7, 2013 at 2:57:52 am

[David Lawrence] "I'll be keeping my eye on Lightworks..."

+1

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 7, 2013 at 3:39:51 am

[Herb Sevush] "[David Lawrence] "I'll be keeping my eye on Lightworks..."

+1
"

Hey, it looked great at NAB. I'll be keeping my eye on it too, even tough I'll be hanging with MC and Pr.

Return to posts index

Joe Campanale
on May 7, 2013 at 3:22:00 am

[Shane Ross] "What? Where are you getting that? It's not that they own your content...it's that you are perpetually renting the software from them. If you want to use it...you pay for it when you use it. Even if 4-6 year later."

Yes, you pay Adobe to access your projects/content on their indefinite terms. How is that not a form ownership?

Regardless, I suspect Adobe will eventually adjust the terms once the dust settles.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 7, 2013 at 4:33:12 am

[Joe Campanale] "Regardless, I suspect Adobe will eventually adjust the terms once the dust settles.
"

It seems to me that they've probably spent a lot of time thinking this out. I'd be surprised, albeit pleasantly, if they changed course.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 7, 2013 at 12:28:26 am

[Joe Campanale] " I don't know how I feel about Adobe owning my content ..."

Adobe doesn't own your content. You just need to keep paying them in order to access the software that created it- and therein lies the rub.

With Premiere, this actually won't be so bad if you have CS5 or CS6, since you can go backwards by exporting to XML. You can also take your project to Avid via AAF. Both of these are more robust in the new version, so that should be helpful.

With the other apps I'm more concerned. I remember a while back I downloaded the 30-day trial of Premiere CS6. I launched it after it expired, and got a message saying I could use it this one last time but won't be able to after that. If they did something like this with the CC apps when you stop subscribing to it and let you use them 10 times or something like that, I'd feel better about this whole thing.

As far as FCPX goes, I'm not on a Mac right now so I can't use it. But I'd like to go cross-platform eventually, so I'll probably get it when I do that, even if it's just to know more about it.

As for right now, I know I'll be staying in CS5 land for a good while, and hope to upgrade to CS6 while it's available. I'll also be taking a closer look at the Media composer trial that I downloaded the other day than I originally anticipated.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 7, 2013 at 12:48:15 am

[Greg Andonian] "I remember a while back I downloaded the 30-day trial of Premiere CS6. I launched it after it expired, and got a message saying I could use it this one last time but won't be able to after that. If they did something like this with the CC apps when you stop subscribing to it and let you use them 10 times or something like that, I'd feel better about this whole thing."

What's the difference between that and having to pay a one-time fee to get a month's access to it?

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 7, 2013 at 1:05:47 am

[Gary Huff] "What's the difference between that and having to pay a one-time fee to get a month's access to it?"

This way you wouldn't have to pay for a month just to go in once or twice and do a quick update.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 7, 2013 at 1:07:24 am

Just purchased Final Cut Pro X and so far starting to like it. So it is not perfect but at least I don't have to pay a monthly or annual membership fee to access my projects. If you need the product for a short period of time I could see the cloud as an option but for long term use I don't care to go that route for reasons obvious.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on May 7, 2013 at 1:30:43 am

Adobe seems to think that they are so great that everyonebwants all there products. they are wrong. most of us just use some of the production premium apps most of thw time.

Richard

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 7, 2013 at 2:23:31 am

It doesn't make much difference to me. I'll continue to keep one foot in Premiere and the other in Media Composer. And, of course FCP 7 for those who still want me to use it.

My biggest concern is that this move will slow or stop the adoption of Premiere in my end of the industry. That would be sad, because I think it is really well suited to replace Legacy. Also, while I like to use Media Composer and Premiere about the same, I think the next version of Premiere will put me squarely in the Premiere camp for my personal use.

Overall, it would just be a bummer if this decision derailed Premiere. But, for me personally; no, it will not make me consider X, and generally, not change my plans at all.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 7, 2013 at 2:42:08 am

[Chris Harlan] "Overall, it would just be a bummer if this decision derailed Premiere. But, for me personally; no, it will not make me consider X, and generally, not change my plans at all."

Pretty much exactly what Chris said.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 7, 2013 at 5:42:11 pm

Joe Campanale: "I'm having a hard time figuring out how, in the long run, consumers are getting more out of this."

Adobe has created new applications in the last year that I believe are only available in their Cloud ecosystem. I think they will continue to do that so that people using CS5/6 will be drawn into the Cloud eventually when they need those applications. It is an inexpensive subscription if you only wanted one application but eventually you will move to the full subscription rate. Adobe may be doing you a favour in that there will be a lot of things you may try since you are already paying the full subscription.

In the short term it is a bargain if you use several applications. But in the long term I wonder if the value of new features will diminish, as I feel has happened with Photoshop. It doesn't matter if Adobe introduces 200 new features a year if you don't need any of them to do your work. But you continue to pay the subscription to continue working. It's a fairly easy decision to start a subscription but Adobe knows it will be a very difficult decision to end your subscription. In the old model, you just stop upgrading and live happily ever after with whatever CS6 gives you until there is a 'must have' feature in CSx that drives another upgrade or single purchase. In the new model, you pay until you retire or expire. Something akin to cable television and cell phones.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on May 7, 2013 at 6:30:05 pm

I think the real question is: Do you need Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Media Encoder, Audition, Speed Grade or any of the applications Adobe offers? If so, you're going to have access to Premiere at no additional cost.

I, for one, can't live without Photoshop and AE so this doesn't affect my decision to move to Premiere.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on May 7, 2013 at 7:55:39 pm

I have the CS6 Master Collection and there's a lot in there I never touch, but I just finished 6 hours of billable work in InDesign for a job that just fell in my lap this morning. Wasn't counting on it, didn't even have to bid it. So there's my first year of CC bought and paid for. The price of the Master Collection upgrade paid for itself a long time ago. I expect every year to provide some kind of similar scenario. If I only had Production Premium I'd a had to pass on this gig. It may go in one had and out the other but what Adobe fills the hand that's left with is pretty impressive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]