FORUMS: list search recent posts

Discuss. :-)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Discuss. :-)
on May 5, 2013 at 2:53:24 am

Found this kind of interesting. Re-posted from fcp.co...

http://www.fcptalent.com/an-editor-asks-should-i-be-learning-fcpx/

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: Discuss. :-)
on May 5, 2013 at 9:33:07 am

When FCPX came out, I really disliked it. Gave it another chance after 10.0.3, and tried using it as much as possible after that because there was too much I liked.

Now I'm almost switched 100 %.

When it was released, Larry Jordan said: "Nobody will use it professionally now. But within 12 to 18 months, I think the situation will be dramatically different".

I think his timing was a bit too optimistic, in hindsight, but you can see people that dissed it first, becoming more interested. More and more stories show up.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on May 5, 2013 at 4:43:28 pm

I agreewith the article in the link.
Once you used FCPX (and used it properly!) it is very hard to come back to CS6 (FCP7 is an absolute dud of a program me now-can´t touch it anymore).

We switched very early and went through some of the pains of FCPX´s growing months, but now it is rocksolid and basically does everything I need for my field of work (TV, documentary, commercials, live-productions)

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on May 5, 2013 at 10:16:59 pm

ive been learning all the in an outs in my free time. Definately up to snuff for most work out there, but what i can say, i still dont like it. At least when theres other options out there. The timeline is not my cup of tea and the only thing i can see the magnetic timeline usefull for is maybe reaaranging the order of large chunks of a piece, like full scenes in a short or something. Other than theres is promise there, ill continue to dabble in my free time just in case a gig ever comes about , but as long as Media Composer and Adobe remain active , i dont see the point.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 6, 2013 at 6:28:33 am

[Neil Goodman] "The timeline is not my cup of tea and the only thing i can see the magnetic timeline usefull for is maybe reaaranging the order of large chunks of a piece, like full scenes in a short or something."

Well, FWIW, it's quite useful for moving tiny chunks of of a piece, like in a tv spot/trailer montage as well. :-) I find rough cutting as connected clips, and then slamming chunks down to the primary for fine tuning to be a really flexible and fast way to cut. X isn't perfect but, now that I'm at the point where i don't have to think about how it works, it's really a pleasure to use.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 5, 2013 at 10:36:37 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] When it was released, Larry Jordan said: "Nobody will use it professionally now. But within 12 to 18 months, I think the situation will be dramatically different".

I know a lot of people like to think that history is going to repeat itself with FCPX, and it's inevitable that it will be used everywhere eventually. But keep in mind, when X came out it was being compared to FCP7- which had been EOL'ed and was definitely not going to get any better than it was.

Now, with Premiere Pro on the scene, things are a lot different. Adobe has been working their tails off to get rid of the sticking points that have kept people from fully making the leap to PPro, and many are taking notice. CS6 is still rough around the edges, but the next version is going to seal the deal for a lot of people- and that will mean a rough road ahead for FCPX. I'm sure adoption of X will continue to rise, but it's foolish to think that it's going to follow the same path that FCP Legend took, and total dominance is inevitable. Unlike FCP7, Premiere isn't a dead app- it's very much alive, and will continue to evolve and get better. And if there's something about FCPX that the users of Premiere Pro would like to see in their NLE, you can be sure Adobe will listen.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 6, 2013 at 2:01:27 am

To add to Greg's comments, not to forget that AVID is a fully mature and complete (and robust) editing platform with some also great features shown at NAB. Price is not as low as FCP X but it is truly affordable. And if Premier/Adobe goes to an all subscription model it could bode well for AVID.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on May 6, 2013 at 6:00:38 am

I think you have to compare FCPx more with FCP 1-3 and not FCP 7. Same goes for Avid. Avid was pretty mature when FCP started.

Question is more if the new approach to video editing will take hold. Avid and Premiere are basically the old way of editing in an NLE. Special functionality aside neither Avid or Premiere aren't reinventing anything substantial. Just combining a few buttons calls into one. Not even the mercury engine I regard as new. It only takes modern computer power to speed up preview. If I have to wait on final output I regard this still as the traditional NLE scenario.

FCPx is a total new way to edit. After a year working with it now I'm convinced it will grow. I got Avid when it came out and I switched to FCP when it came out.
Lets see if I'll be right 3rd time :-)

But regardless I actually don't care where Avid or Premiere is going or if Apple is not as 'professional' anymore. Looking at everything Apple does I feel extremely comfortable that they keep FCPx around because even if they might stop making these big machines FCPx will work just fine on an iMac and with Thunderbolt I get all the extension I might need. Video is a big cultural part for the future and for Apple not to have a more substantial editor other than iMovie makes a lot of sense, specially if it'll work on their lower end machines.

My feeling is that more and more people will edit FCPx and finish on DaVinci or maybe Smoke.

Time will tell :-)

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on May 6, 2013 at 8:00:01 am

No doubt Adobe is doing a lot of great things.
That being said, hearing that the 'current version of Premiere is a bit rough, but the next one will be great' is something I've been hearing since CS4.

But, don't get me wrong, I love how much work Adobe is putting in Premiere, and of course they are a very strong player being that they have a complete mature suite.

That being said, on the editing front, I think both with old FCP and FCPX, Apple has shown that it dares to think forward, try different things, and although they had a terrible launch (a program released without relinking function? without XML? without the ability to export only a range from the timeline? ugh. they deserved a lot of that early criticism) they also have shown that they are still very much in tune with things that speed up the process. The way Roles work, audio components, keyword collections, ... It's all new, but I like it, and it's very powerful and fast. The way they implemented an almost stupidly easy proxy workflow where Adobe can not even hint at, is also remarkable (yes, I know improvements can be made).

I agree with you that FCPX had a rough start, and that time will tell if it will be as easy or much more difficult to win market share. But the longer I work with FCPX, 'get' the program, see the updates, the more I'm positive about it's future.

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
on Aug 13, 2013 at 12:42:39 pm

Hi - I am the original author of this post. Happy to discuss with anyone who might be interested.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]