Wish List For Final Cut Pro X
on May 5, 2013 at 1:23:14 am

A few simple things I would like to see in the next version or update:

1. Being able to save different versions of the same project
2. Send to Motion to make for more efficient workflow
3. The ability to key frame color correction
4. Make Final Cut Pro X more competitive with Smoke or Premiere Pro
5. Option to have trackless or fixed track worfklow
6. Make it easier to copy one or more clips from one timeline to another.

Yes, FCP X has made progress since its botched release back in 2011, but would like to see more improvements.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Wish List For Final Cut Pro X
on May 5, 2013 at 1:33:59 am

Please clarify what you mean in item #4.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2013 at 2:07:36 am

I'd like to hear that too. Because its definitely a better app than Premiere in so many aspects. But not in others.

I'd like to see audio tracks. But I definitely like trackless for video. To me, that is a real improvement over the previous paradigm. But audio should have tracks, because audio HAS tracks (channels).

I'd like to see match frame to the event viewer. I'd like to see scrubbing in the EV as well. Ganging too and all the little extras like TC overlays. A 4 way vector, waveform, parade, histogram view too.

I'd like to see track height adjustable with keyboard shortcuts.

I'd like to see multiple event viewers. I'd like a thumbnail in list view ( scrubable).

Paste attributes - CONTENT. Copy and paste Keyframes too.

When you enter/exit a compound, the play head should be in the same relative position.

And much more

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on May 5, 2013 at 4:06:21 am

[Bret Williams] "But audio should have tracks, because audio HAS tracks (channels)."

Tracks are not the same as channels. I don't have a lot of NLE experience outside of FCPX but I have extensive DAW experience (Logic Pro). I'm not saying tracks for audio wouldn't be useful to some, but anyone with audio experience knows there's a distinct difference between tracks and channels. I personally don't mind how audio works in FCPX, except the wave forms drive me nuts. They change appearance drastically as I start and stop playback and scroll though the project. It makes manual ducking harder than it needs to be when you don't know where the audio actually starts and stops.

[Bret Williams] "Paste attributes - CONTENT. Copy and paste Keyframes too."

For clarification sake, you want the ability to copy a clip along with certain selected attributes as opposed to a straight copy/paste or alt-click and drag? I suppose that could be useful. I do know keyframes are copied through Past Attributes. Are you wanting the option to not include them?

The other stuff I'm with you on.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2013 at 3:08:53 pm

I realize tracks aren't channels. But my point is that audio has multiple channels of audio, whereas video, typically (sans 3D, etc) does not. You could have 50 layers of video but the end result is a mixdown to one video track on output. One never routes video tracks on output. But audio by nature is very different. I always tended to keep audio tracks more organized than video for this very reason. VO on one, music on others, sfx in others. Made it easy to route or do a track selected overall changes. Just saying there is a more logical reason for audio tracks than video tracks. I'd take video tracks back too if function wouldn't change. I would still want stuff to vertically move out of the way when I roll or drag or edit. I've come to love editing more fluidly in the timeline vs worrying about marking ins/outs and patching tracks.

As for paste content- that's a function they haven't brought back yet. The clip Keyframes, filters, etc remain the same. Unmoved, unchanged. You just paste the content from one clip into another. If you don't see the value, you probanly don't do a lot of AE or motion graphics.

Copy and paste Keyframes refers to inside the clip. Not neccessarily from one clip to another. FCP 7 never did it either. Although it was my #1 request for 13 years. Say you create 3 Keyframes to a clip. Maybe a jitter move. Now you want it to occur 20 more times. In just about any other app (avid, AE, motion, premiere) you'd highlight those three Keyframes and copy and paste them a few times. Then copy and paste that result a number of times. For randomness, you might even copy and paste random selections into random spots. Other apps allow you to also time reverse selections of Keyframes or stretch out selections of Keyframes over time. FCPs keyframe engine has really remained where it was in 2000, which was behind the times then. None of the aspects of keyframing I mentioned are anything new.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 5, 2013 at 3:26:04 pm

[Bret Williams] "One never routes video tracks on output."

Bret,

I'd be careful about "never".

There have been questions about multi-channel video installations here before.

[Bret Williams] "Just saying there is a more logical reason for audio tracks than video tracks."

Image does tend to more serial arrangement (one shot after another) and audio at least as much to parallel arrangement (mixing) but in fact both motion picture and audio can be arranged and edited both serially and in parallel.

For image, good examples of parallel are multi-frame sequences and super-impositions (both with a long history).

However, it does seem that video tracks and audio tracks serve different purposes.

Video tracks serve at least dual purposes (as layers, and as organizational tools - Craig Seeman has pointed this out before) but I'd add a third function too which is more editorial in the case of multi-frame or superimpositions (ie not quite layers, more akin to how audio tracks function).

As for the "logic" of it - I think it's sort of more preference in terms of how you like to think of your material and organize it.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2013 at 4:05:39 pm

There's always bizarre exceptions and you can play devils advocate to anything. But I wouldn't say superimpositions are analogous to multiple audio channels. The result of superimpositions us still one linear video image. Where multiple audio tracks can still output as 5.1 for example. One is actually mixed together while the other just sounds mixed together.

But anyway, just my opinion and reasoning for my requests. I could actually survive without audio tracks too for my work. I have once made pseudo audio tracks with secondaries. Sometimes for video too just for organization. Just make an empty secondary that spans the whole project.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 5, 2013 at 4:13:52 pm

[Bret Williams] "I wouldn't say superimpositions are analogous to multiple audio channels."

Bret,

Superimpositions and multi-frames would be analogous to parallel audio techniques (ie. mixing).

A multiple-screen video installation would be analogous to multiple audio channels.

Additionally, 3D "placement" work is maybe an interesting parallel with mixing, though I have no experience with it (so I'd be interested to hear from those who have done more work changing convergence or placement in space, for example.)

I wouldn't dismiss these examples as particularly "bizarre", though multiple-screen video is perhaps more exceptional.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 5, 2013 at 6:14:38 pm

[Bret Williams] "As for paste content- that's a function they haven't brought back yet."

Bret, I don't know if you've played with it or not, but Paste Content is essentially how the current Replace Edit works. Select clip in timeline, matchframe, select destination clip, Replace from Start.

[Bret Williams] "Say you create 3 Keyframes to a clip. Maybe a jitter move. Now you want it to occur 20 more times. In just about any other app (avid, AE, motion, premiere) you'd highlight those three Keyframes and copy and paste them a few times. Then copy and paste that result a number of times. "

The kind of effect you're talking about could be accomplished with a Motion effect right now. And if they put Send To Motion back in the program, I don't see them developing the transform keyframing too much. I feel like they want animations like that to flow from Motion instead of making the same feature available in two places.

[Bret Williams] "BTW- you can change timeline clip views with keyboard shortcuts."

Well, that's some good news. I haven't downloaded 10.0.8 yet. Guess I should.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2013 at 7:37:05 pm

Truthfully, copying and pasting Keyframes is possible in motion, but compared to AE and premiere, it's keyframe engine is pretty much a dog in my book too. But at least useable. But they don't make it easy.

And really, you're going to send to motion for basic keyframing tasks? To me that just over complicated the project. Now what do I do if I want to copy and paste that key frame motion to another clip in the timeline? Send another clip to motion and copy and paste there? I dunno, since other apps have been doing this basic 101 task for 20 years, perhaps leaving out that feature isn't the way to push users to your other app. Not really a selling feature. Still, would be nice if that feature (send to motion) actually existed!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 5, 2013 at 7:58:48 pm

[Bret Williams] "And really, you're going to send to motion for basic keyframing tasks?"

No. But you weren't talking about basic keyframing. Basic keyframing is currently possible in X. You were talking about 20-30 keyframes placed in random order on a clip. Something which can be handled quite easily with a behavior in Motion. You don't even need to send to Motion because you can build a jitter effect and publish it and just lay it on clips in X. Then you can lay it on as many clips as you want.

So, since basic keyframing is handled, I just feel that Apple wants more complicated keyframing or moves to be done in concert with Motion. And as long as a "Send To Motion" feature doesn't require an export (in other words, it uses an updating placeholder clip in X), then sending to motion won't be overcomplicated at all in my opinion.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 5, 2013 at 6:17:07 am

[David Mathis] "5. Option to have trackless or fixed track worfklow"

[Bret Williams] "I'd like to see audio tracks. But I definitely like trackless for video."

Tracks mean track assigning and for me that's just annoying now that I'm used to FCPX's trackless paradigm. The only reason people are still asking for tracks are because they want to visually organize their timelines. So instead, I propose "hierarchy locking".

Hierarchy Locking gives the user the opportunity to select clips and freeze their vertical position in the timeline. That way, if (for example) someone wants to keep all their narration audio on connected clips closest to the the primary, they can just select them, move them into position, and lock them there. Then any new connected clips will be placed below, regardless.

As for the rest of my list:

• Ability to adjust a clips hierarchy with keyboard shortcuts. Just select a clip and OPT+↑ or OPT+↓ to push a clip up or down in the hierarchy.

• A timeline view that uses a single thumbnail to represent the clip rather than a filmstrip or a non adjustable null view. I absolutely hate filmstrip view with a passion, but don't always want to work with the chiclet view. Oh, yeah, and able to switch views with keyboard shortcuts.

• Proper Replace Edit function.

• Ability to enter and exit the transform window via shortcuts.

• Smart tagging of created clips. Right now if you create a multiclip from clips inside a collection, it dumps the new clip into the main event rather than just assuming you want it tagged the same as the clips you used to make it. Same with synchronized or compound clips.

• Manual adjustment on a clip by clip basis of the size of audio tracks. Let's say you want to do some heavy keyframing of some audio attached to a video clip. I'd like to be able to double click the audio, or audio components and then just click and drag the top or bottom edge of the audio and resize it so I can see the waveform better without having to change the entire timeline view and still not have it be large enough.

• Ability to keyframe speed changes in the Retime editor with bezier handles for smoothing and ease in/out presets.

• Send to Motion (like everyone else)

• Ability to decide which windows end up where on two monitor systems.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2013 at 3:13:30 pm

Good list.

BTW- you can change timeline clip views with keyboard shortcuts. They added that in 10.0.8. You have to map it yourself. You just can't change heights. I mapped the views to cmd up/down.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 5, 2013 at 2:08:20 am

Would like to see some finishing features like node based compositing.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 5, 2013 at 2:07:34 am

[David Mathis] 1. Being able to save different versions of the same project

You mean, X is STILL unable to do a 'save as' after all this time?

That's just unacceptable.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on May 5, 2013 at 2:29:16 am

You can dupe a project (timeline) to version it within FCPX. You can also dupe it to a backup drive without render files so it copies quite fast. Or you can use Digital Rebellion's Pro Versioner to make archived backups of events and project (timeline) files.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2013 at 7:53:23 pm

I do it all the time. I make a folder in the project window and essentially is the project. Then within that folder I have the actual project, and the versions. The versions don't have media dupes or rendrers.

I never did a save as in FCP legacy. That wasn't a good idea. WITHIN the project, I would version sequences. But doing a save as would also duplicate bins and would call the project something else. That would create new scratch folders with different names and generally create a mess. If you were looking for backups, then autosaves performed that task.

To me, keeping the project and events separate is safer. You just version the project within the folder. So that accomplishes two tasks. It versions the project (sequence) and it provides separate projects so that if one gets corrupt, hopefully the previous is ok.

Not sure what happens if an event gets corrupt. The media in an event can be rebuilt easily enough, but if you had and compound clips in the event, they'd be gone.

There's nothing to save in X. There are sequences(projects), and bns(events). Both are databases that are updated instantly with every change. So save as would be akin to duplicate. Which you can do. You can duplicate either with many different options.

Return to posts index

Nick Paonessa
on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:31:55 pm

I've recently changed my workflow after a meeting with the good folks over at Magic Feather Inc. I've taken a page out their book in regards to saving versions. It's quite simple and will change your workflow for the better:

Create and use 1 project entitled EXPORT for EVERYTHING

Within each new event you create, create a smart folder set for compound clips:
> create new smart folder
> entitle it 'comps'
> double click the settings icon next to 'comps'
> change the properties of 'comps' in the property box that opens
> select 'clip type'
> set to 'compound clips'
Now every time you create a compound clip it will be in this 'comps' smart folder

Build your edit in the EXPORT project

Select all/ highlight everything in the timeline, then:
> create new compound clip
> save as v1 (or whatever you want)
> share/export to appropriate destination
> save as whatever you want

When you return to FCPX, DELETE whatever is in the EXPORT project (it is already saved in the 'comps' smart folder within your event as v1)

When you're ready to revise v1 you simply duplicate it:
> highlight it in your 'comps' smart folder
> duplicate it (command d)
> rename it v2, v3 etc etc
> double click the 'comp' and it will open in the 'export' project

Repeat this process for every version and you will build a list of versions in your 'comps' smart folder -- within the respective event

Best part about this workflow is you can easily switch between v1 v2 v3 etc while working on v4 etc in the EXPORT timeline. You can scrub through v1 in the event browser while scrubbing through a later version in the timeline.

1 project for everything. No switching in/out of projects. No duplicating projects. No hassle.

Simple. Easy. Clean.

fcpx love. It's apple! They're pretty good.

Link to this in action:

lowercaseprods.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 5, 2013 at 2:41:24 am

[Greg Andonian] "That's just unacceptable."

See Michael's comment. Non-issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2013 at 12:57:46 pm

[Greg Andonian] "You mean, X is STILL unable to do a 'save as' after all this time?"

If you're familiar with OSX 10.8, Save As (the traditional variant) isn't part of the OS. In some programs, if you hold the Option key you'll get Save As in the File menu, you'll see a Save As function but I don't believe it's quite the same as the Save As of old. The OS is designed to autosave. This isn't specific to FCPX. The OS also has a "history" function but I'm not sure how Apple would integrate that into FCPX.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2013 at 7:59:16 pm

I understand it in X, but in apps like pages and numbers, they still have save and duplicate. Plus a hidden autosaves function. It was reason enough for us to buy MS Office. The duplicate really is just save as when you get down to it. But just twice as hard to wrap your brain around as save as.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 5, 2013 at 2:35:40 am

[David Mathis] "A few simple things I would like to see in the next version or update:

1. Being able to save different versions of the same project

Not sure what you mean here, I do this all day.

[David Mathis] 2. Send to Motion to make for more efficient workflow

Agreed

[David Mathis] 3. The ability to key frame color correction

Agreed

[David Mathis] 4. Make Final Cut Pro X more competitive with Smoke or Premiere Pro

It is, as pointed out earlier, better in some ways, not as good in others, but certainly competitive IMHO

[David Mathis] 5. Option to have trackless or fixed track worfklow

Better use of Roles for visual Organization would be great, and I think it's on Apple's radar. But fixed tracks? No thanks. Using a combo of the evolving audio channel editing and broken out connected clips as needed has been working really well for me. And I cut with a lot of "tracks".

[David Mathis] 6. Make it easier to copy one or more clips from one timeline to another."

How could it be any easier than "copy, switch timelines, paste"? Or are you trying to do something different than that?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 5, 2013 at 3:59:31 am

All of the above and improved media management so we can get a clean/trimmed timeline out for archiving etc. from either/or a Project AND a Event.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
on May 5, 2013 at 6:37:25 am

I have to add

Batch Export

I do so many versions of spots and the lack of batch export kills me !!

Fcpx
FCP 7.0.2
FCPX 1.0..4
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Check out the free iBook broadcast delivery 101 on itunes

http://Www.delivercommercials.com

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 5, 2013 at 7:19:08 am

I'd love to see a send to Motion function but more importantly a send to Logic for audio sweetening and mix down roundtrips.

Small thing, but I'd like to be able to remap the 'position' keyboard shortcut to the left of the keyboard.

I'd like a more sophisticated shape mask for colour correction - bezier?

I'd like Apple to develop their own in App Event Manager - it's such a basic function that it should be incorporated into the Event browser. Likewise with a preference manager.

I would like the Video and Audio effects to be split with a separate button.

I would like greater control over compound clips. Many people are using them to construct programme segments or even whole programmes, using them as projects but there is no ability to delete render files. Be great if I've got that wrong!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2013 at 4:04:59 pm

[Craig RussillRoy] "Batch Export"

How do you mean?
FCPX does batch export if you mean exporting Project (timeline) after Project. They'll wait in the background in sequence while you keep editing.

If you mean true parallel encoding like Squeeze or Episode Engine, that would be good. Of course that's very demanding on the CPU. That would all go back to the need for Apple to improve file delivery features so one can cluster CPUs for export (build a better QMaster within FCPX).

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
on May 5, 2013 at 4:54:10 pm

I mean selecting more then one at a time to export

Fcpx
FCP 7.0.2
FCPX 1.0..4
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Check out the free iBook broadcast delivery 101 on itunes

http://Www.delivercommercials.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2013 at 5:24:47 pm

[Craig RussillRoy] "I mean selecting more then one at a time to export"

Given the way the Project timeline works, my guess is something like that would actually have to be done through the Project Library instead. That could be a nice sequence but I believe FCPX is still doing sequential rather than parallel encoding. That kind of batch export would be much better if one could cluster with other machines or create some internal parallel encoding much like Telestream Episode Engine does.

For example, you could have 8 cores assigned to 4 parallel encodes or would otherwise cluster with other Macs on your network.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 5, 2013 at 9:32:49 pm

This didn't seem like a big deal until I recently did a project that was for an eLearning web distribution thing. It consisted of about 20 video vignettes and maybe 60 audio pieces. Each item was a project. The project name was the file name. In FCP 1-7 I could have selected them all and done 2 batch exports, one for audio files one for QT files, with them all being named the same as their sequence. And I'd be done in a matter of seconds. In FCP X I had to export each for the project library one by one. It was brutally monotonous, and the chance of error was 100x greater.

They were all enclosed in a folder in the project library. It sure would be nice to be able to duplicate that folder in the library to version/backup. I can't be versioning all that stuff one by one. That kind of project is a good argument for the legacy method of keeping sequences inside an overriding project! But just being able to highlight more than one item in the library (or a folder) and duplicate or batch export would solve that.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on May 5, 2013 at 9:25:26 am

This is my wish-list (sent it to Apple a couple of times, updated trough use):

- Being able to Scale or Stabilize Attributes on synchronized clips.

- Remove Attributes button

- If you scroll trough with JKL keys, and you do it very quick, you hear the audio pitch-perfect for the first seconds, and then it disappears. It would be great if it would stay like that.

- Being able to give color labels to projects in the Project Library

- Another behavior when putting multiple dissolves in a timeline. In FCP 7, it would add a dissolve everywhere it could, but if there wasn't enough media, it would not copy a dissolve there. This was very handy when you worked with a lot of clips that just follow each other coming from a recording device that splits long recordings in multiple files.
In FCP X now, you can only choose to create media for the transition, or just cancel and not have a a cross dissolve anywhere. If I'm not mistaken, the first releases of FCP X would give you more choices in this regard.
It's nice to have a combination of the old behavior and the potential new one (with creating extra media) and just have options of both in the dialog window you get. Because if now, you have a recording split in multiple files, and put a dissolve in between those clips with FCP X doing the 'creating extra media thing" you get a weird effect that's not wanted.

- A kind of batch export, and maybe support for kind of reference files?

- If you export for instance, 3 timelines in the background, you only see the first file by name.
The one below, awaiting, just say: 'Master File'. Why can't you say the name of the project or timeline? So you can get a quick idea of what you are already exporting and if you forgot anything.
If it's the same timeline you are exporting multiple times, with changes, let's have it say the name of the sequence with the date and exact time of the export?

- I don't know if this is by design or a bug: if I put multiple in-and out points, ranges as you say, in a clip, and I make them chronologically and push E to append to the primary storyline, it puts them in the wrong order in the timeline. If I make a range 1 and a range 2 in the same clip, in chronological order, FCP X puts it in the timeline as range 2 first, and range 1 second. It's completely opposite of normal thinking? If you have an interview that you want to go trough, it's more intuitive to have it in the same order as the interview. Now it ruins the multiple ranges-option. I can't remember this being so in FCP 10.0.6, but I could be wrong, so I don't know if this was introduced in 10.0.7?

- Synchronize clips seems to only use audio. According to the manual, it also used timecode, but we tried multiple times doing it with clips with the same timecode, and FCP X would never place them correct. In multicam this works correctly. It would be nice to get some more options there and let FCPX use timecode correctly to synchronize multiple audio/video clips.

- If you click Expand All in the menu for expanding video and audio, that it expands every clip in the timeline, INCLUDING the ones you put in the timeline AFTER you pushed the Expand All option. It reduces the amound of clicking. If you want to edit with an expanded view of audio seperately, you click expand all, and edit the way you want. If you put new clips in the timeline, you don't have to press again and again in the menu.

- If you have a synchronized clip with R3D material, making sure the spatial conform works like it does with a normal rough R3D clip.

- More RAW controls from REDCINE in the R3D Hud, including (big one) the eyedropper tool to very quickly and automatically set white balance.

- Have a simple white balance tool in your standard color tools, like the one from RED. Let it be a tool you can switch on or off. The Match-Color behaviour doesn't work very well, and the older 3-way color corrector in FCP7 was miles ahead on some of this manual control.

- A timecode HUD with much more timecode options. Seeing in one view the timecodes of everything in the timeline (like the old timecode overlay in FCP7), optional of course. Being able to COPY and PASTE a timecode from a clip instead of manually having to feed it always, like you could in FCP 7. You could just copy the timecode from the viewer of canvas.

- A well made timecode reader/generator effect, not only a generator. (have both). Like the old one: read timecode, generate one, custom, ... Now, we have to work trough compound clips with timecode generators above, which seems unnecessary.

- More options from Color, including but not limited to color wheels. Tracker. Custom shapes, that can be keyframed, including in their shape points. Sharpening, denoising,... Maybe have a seperate Color Room? (same with Audio?)

- If you click to have Proxy Media Playback, put a warning side if media hasn't been converted to Proxy yet, but don't have it be offline completely. It sometimes doesn't make sense to transcode EVERYTHING in your timeline to Proxy Media. Only being able to transcode a portion of it, and just see a small subtle warning sign in the rest without hindering your ability to work with it, would be much better!

- Fade Handles on seperate Audio Components.

- Fade Handles on video?

- Prores LT as a codec option to optimize!

- In the preferences, have playback for Optimized Media or Original Media be 2 seperate options? Or just some more flexibility.

- Better support for working with networked storage! I'm not talking about users working on the same project on the same timeline (although the patents I saw online about guardians etc. were interesting) but just having the program work easily with networked storage over ethernet!

- If you open the HUD of a Smart Collection, it seems I cannot make the HUD bigger or smaller. Sometimes if I have long names of Keyword Collections of which the first 3 words are the same, I cannot see which to click on or off if I put a Keyword on one of the parameters of a Smart Collections. I don't know if this is a bug or not.

- At the retiming menu, if you click it, have a custom option to manually give in a percentage.

- Custom resolutions when making a project! With a way of making it a preset! It's possible now trough a compound clip and work-around, so it must be possible technically, but just the option needs to be 'activated' in the dialog window when making a new project.

- 'Break Apart Compound Clip' back in the contextual right-mouse click menu.

- This is more of a general Mac OSX complaint since Lion, but the way the system works with programs in full screen is really really one of the most emberassing things ever if you have 2 monitors... FCP X is no different. Suddenly seeing the second screen dissapear is really... ugh.

- At Audio Enchancements, at the background Noise Removal option, have a small button to set the noise print, as you could with Soundtrack Pro. I don't know if the technology now in FCP X is the same as in Soundtrack Pro, but I'm getting much worse results (frankly, I never get good ones, and thus never use it) when using the remove background noise option in FCP X. Maybe having the option to manually set the noise print, will get better results back?

- An audio mixer! Maybe have some seperate Audio Mixing 'room', like you could have with Color Correction. FCP X seems to have great technologies under the hood (some of Color, some of Logic, some of Soundtrack Pro, some of Cinema Tools), but just have the tools deeper would really make it a super-NLE. Not needing to round-trip, but still being able to do so much in an NLE that can seem so simple, but yet can get very deep, is VERY appealing, and would get many people to switch to Macs and FCP X. Look at Color... Yes, you could say Resolve is better, but not needing to round trip, and being able to do very good corrections in the same program where you do the finishing, compositing, editing, ... is really tempting. If you don't want to use it, you don't need to. But I miss Color, and in the same way I think much more of Soundtrack Pro needs to return to FCP X.
Maybe audio mix trough color coded roles or so?

- Being able in the Copy Paste Dialogue box, to paste seperate color corrections, and have them being applied ABOVE whatever you have done to that clip earlier. And not only replace it. Maybe have a small button in the dialogue box where you can choose to ADD your attributes to the clip you are pasting it too.

- Being able to give Color Corrections names, instead of just the automated numbers. And also being able to move a color correction up or down in the effects stacking order, like you can do with other effects.

- Being able in a way to very easily put a video-only dissolve on a clip, without messing too much with detaching audio, secondary timelines, ... Just have a cross dissolve video-only transition in the transition browser or something. Same thing with making an audio-only cross dissolve with a dedicated short cut (it used to be ALT+CMD+T in FCP7)! These little things suddenly can make FCPX a much more slow tool to use.

- Have a quick way of putting audio back to a clip after detaching it. (and if they are out of sync, maybe have a dialogue box or something to choose if you want to keep it out of sync, or put it back to it's default?)

- Have out of sync-markers when detaching audio... Or have better solutions for working with a recording where all the audio is for instance 4 frames off.

- Have a smart Render function, as FCP 7 had where it simply copies original media if you are doing simple cut-cut operations. Now this only seems to be with Prores LT, but not with XDCAM material for instance…

- Have the Background Render option be REALLY background. So for instance, when you are working, it keeps rendering, but like with one core or something. So it's low taxing on the system, but you can really keep working. Now it stops if you do something in the program, and you really let it do a lot, it kind of makes your computer super super slow.
Like the generating waveform that seems to pause whenever you work in the program. It's not logical.

- Being able to also put Events in Folders, like you can with Projects.

- Also having Skimmer info in the timeline, showing for instance timecode of the original clip.

- If you have a (raw) clip in the Event Browser, and click Open in Timeline, and for instance, put a timecode generator on it, and you put it in your timeline, it shows the timecode generator on the clip in the timeline. So far, so good. But if you then, in your Event Browser, after the edit, use the same process to remove the timecode generator or make it invisible, it doesn't update in the timeline. The work-around is to first put your clip in a compound clip, but I think it's a unnecessary work-around which can cause potential errors. You suddenly have every clip you need to use like that twice in the project, and you have to make sure the starting timecode of your compound clip is the same as the one of the clip itself. (UPDATE, I can imagine this works the way it does, because you like having that a normal clip in the timeline is completely independent… I get the logic, but then you should just get a better option for having timecode on a clip that you want to remove instead of compounding every clip first).

- Better support for using FCPX with 3 displays. On a rMBP connected with 2 other displays, it will always use your laptop as a standard second display. The only work-around is closing the lid, let FCPX put your content on the other display, and opening the lid again. Very silly work-around, especially if you have to do it in front of clients.

- If you have a bunch of clips and you all change their scale properties trough the transform tools in the viewer, the slider in the inspector will still say it's 100 procent while the clip clearly isn't on 100 pro cent. Maybe I got this because of working with compound clips, I don't know if it's the same with raw clips, but anyhow, if I use the inspector to change all the clips their scale, they all update correctly in the inspector if I click them afterwards. Strangely enough also, when I use the transform tools of the Viewer to change the Position of clips, they all update fine in the inspector. Unless this was a bug on my end, I don't think this is logical. Maybe the issue is only with compound clips, but it's a big issue nonetheless.

- Please make it possible to have your transform, crop and color correction tools in the inspector change in stacking order together with effects. Being able for instance, to put a crop ABOVE a 3rd party effect for instance. Now there are many work-around necessary (compounding) to do this.

- When doing a split edit on a connected clip and the audio starts a lot earlier then the video (J-cut), and you then you collapse the clip again, and then put a dissolve on the video, which causes it to become a secondary storyline, it cuts the early audio off. That doesn't make sense (if it's not a bug). A way to solve this, would being able to just put a transition on a clip (dissolve) without it becoming a secondary storyline. I get the logic behind this, but in practice it causes me a LOT of unnecessary clicks in a timeline, while the other way around, if I want to have secondary clips become a storyline, I can always have the option trough the menu command or contextual menu. Please change this behaviour. Maybe it's not a good idea to have a connected clip become a connected storyline automatically after putting a transition on it. In my experience, in 99 procent of the cases, I really have to do a lot of extra clicking around, and it almost never saves me time.

- The background Dashboard hud dissapears when going into another application. Not that handy.

- This feature could maybe be a work-around for the dashboard dissapearing, although it would be nice to have both: In the Share Monitor program, have a look at what you are exporting in every program (FCPX, Motion 5, Compressor 4). They all share the same engine. Having the Share Monitor open and being able to see what you are exporting in FCP X next to your regular Compressor Batch would be great. Having a seperate tab or something like that.

- In a Smart Collection, also being able to use Clip Type: Synchronized Clip. Now you have to do it trough Text, and then add Sync somewhere. A bit of a work-around.

- When making a new compound clip, being able to immediately say which keyword it needs to have. Now, if you need to make a lot of them, and you are making compound clips from clips in a keyword-collection (which we do, to have a timecode generator on them, because we miss having a timecode hud), you always get thrown back into your Event, instead of staying within that keyword collection, and then you have to manually search the compound clip and assign a keyword to the compound clip again.

- In an Event, in your viewing options, you can choose to display: "no rating or keyword selections". I like that option, but it would be extra nice if you have an extra viewing option with separate: "no rating" "no keyword", next to the excisting option of both.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 5, 2013 at 9:28:04 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "- Being able to give color labels to projects in the Project Library"

Mathieu, I'm intrested in this.

Since the EB is essentially the front end of the X database - most of the ranging, tagging and keywording done there is for either Search or Sort purposes. Since you can't actually do either search or sort by a COLOR (the NAME of the color, but not actual color itself) and since keyword grouping in X is so agile that you can easily add any keyword to instantly narrow your view to only the clips attached to that keyword tag - I'm confused as to the actual use of applying a color to stuff in the EB.

Is is just a "visual comfort" thing? Or is here something I'm missing about what visual color tags would provide that search/find text tags already do better and faster?

This is a topic I'm touching on in an upcoming seminar so I really like to hear about how having color tags would make something function better in X, or is it just a thing you've become accustomed to having and would like back for comfort's sake?

Thanks.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on May 6, 2013 at 7:52:44 am

Hi Bill,

yes, it's about visual comfort. You could easily work out a system for yourself with color labels, so you know what's finished, what's in progress, what's recently changed, etc. ...
Yes, you can put them in folders, change the name, etc.
But a color could give an instant visual recognition.

Anyhow, one of the least important things on my wish list ;-)

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on May 6, 2013 at 2:06:07 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "- If you scroll trough with JKL keys, and you do it very quick, you hear the audio pitch-perfect for the first seconds, and then it disappears. It would be great if it would stay like that. "

I've noticed that with growing files. The actual movie file exhibits the behavior described above, however the reference movie of that file fast-forwards fine without dropping out after a couple of seconds.

Lots of other good suggestions in your post. Reference files out of the app probably won't happen because of security concerns.

I saw batch exporting mentioned above. Batch selecting timelines or compounds or even clips or keyword collections to export would be good.

More important to us would be the ability to create a bundle of quicktime by role saved user presets. For example you could simultaneously export mixed and split audio or texted and textless masters.

Sometimes I think a role mixer would be good. Basically - a tool to bus roles. But when you start to think through it, you quickly run into problems and it seems less helpful...

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on May 5, 2013 at 9:28:58 am

Hello,

I would like to see:

1) using audio-roles for visual organization, aka pseudo-tracks, aka hierarchy locking

2) OpenCL accelerated x264 coding with more than 2, at least 3 coding-passes selectable

3)a) expanding Color Correctors masking tools with Base-Splines and Bezier-Splines

b) integrating a one-button planar tracker that operates in background and stores tracking data within event; just like optical flow analysis is handled right now; so you can turn it on/off in stack
[this function is that essential that it needs to be integrated deeply into FCP-X' core]

c) now making those masking tools available within ALL filters and effects in the stack

4) more control within the Keyframe-editor

4) Compressor with OpenCL accelerated ultra-highend scaling, de-interlacing, noise reduction

5) Motion making use of Events, so Motion Projects becoming available in FCP-X as Motion-Clips

6) multi-user workflow by professionalizing disk image workaround with rudimentary disk image permissions handling for mounting 'special' FCP-X disk images according to the scheme:
Write Exklusive / Read Write / Read only

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2013 at 1:00:41 pm

Richard Taylor's top 90 covers a lot of ground.
http://fcpx.tv/top.html

He's also been tracking Apple's implementation of his requests which he's had for some time.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on May 5, 2013 at 4:46:04 pm

I have 3 wishes (one was already in before):

1. import right into a keyword collection
2. send to motion
3. colourcoded roles

There are many others, but these 3 are the top for me.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 5, 2013 at 9:04:05 pm

These are all good ideas. Honestly, though, I could work with X exactly the way it is if two things were fixed:

1. Improved and consistent system response - especial UI response.
2. No more stutter during video playback.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 6, 2013 at 7:47:30 am

[alban egger] "1. import right into a keyword collection"

Yes - it used to work and was a great time saver.

Did it stop working with 10.0.6?

Return to posts index

Krzysztof Szychowski
on May 5, 2013 at 4:30:21 pm

The ability to color code individual clips in the timeline. A function available in Logic Pro......brass tracks are light blue.....drums are red....... This would give one the ability to quickly view the locations of specific characters, scenes in relation to the overall timeline.

K

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 5, 2013 at 9:08:00 pm

[Krzysztof Szychowski] "The ability to color code individual clips in the timeline. A function available in Logic Pro......brass tracks are light blue.....drums are red....... This would give one the ability to quickly view the locations of specific characters, scenes in relation to the overall timeline."

I agree with you there.

One thing I do like about Final Cut Pro X and Motion is this:

The ability to create a generator, title, or transition in Motion and later use it inside of Final Cut Pro X without having to render out a Quicktime movie and import it into each project you work on. For example, I have a custom made lower third that has everything the way I like it and all I want to do is change the text. I can apply that lower third as many times as needed and change the text as needed. Of course I would like to see more of a dynamic link that Adobe uses, a powerful and useful feature.

With enough time I think Final Cut Pro X will become even better and create more competition.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 6, 2013 at 3:11:44 pm

You could actually do quite a bit of that in legacy by creating motion projects, assigning drop zones and such, and saving them as master templates. From there they were accessible in FCP. Much less advanced than the current implementation, but cool nonetheless and nobody seemed to care. Probably because they could send to motion. :)

So, it's natural that the concept has gotten better over time. Not so natural that they ditched send to motion. Course I'd rather send to AE.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 5, 2013 at 9:36:10 pm

This is already in X via Roles.

You can custom create as many Roles as you like - apply them as you like. Then when you view by Roles in the Timeline Index which are reflected via highlighting in your Storylines.

It's the same thing, isn't it? Just implemented differently and a bit more flexibly since because the role tags are text based - you can sort, search and highlight them in the timeline index - something you just cant do with an abstract idea like a visual color tag.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 5, 2013 at 10:16:19 pm

[Bill Davis] "It's the same thing, isn't it? Just implemented differently and a bit more flexibly since because the role tags are text based - you can sort, search and highlight them in the timeline index - something you just cant do with an abstract idea like a visual color tag."

Actually, words are far more abstract than color. Color is instant visual identification and recognition. Words are a jumble of similar letters that have to be unpacked for semantic meaning. For visually-oriented thinkers, it's often much faster and easier to see color than to read words.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on May 5, 2013 at 10:26:18 pm

i am surprised no one mentioned trimming yet.

Until it has Avid or even CS6/Next style trim tools, its never going to be a serious contender for me.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on May 6, 2013 at 1:45:01 pm

Back to the idea of audio tracks. To me one of the most powerful things about the way FCP X organizes the timeline is the potential to have different views of a timeline. Unfortunately, it has not been developed by Apple at this point.

Bear with me, with roles one could tag video/audio clips with a certain track. Then in a "track view" it would assemble all the audio into their respective "tracks" even if it was part of a video clip. If you want to keep audio and video together you just switch back to the standard view.

If you move the audio clips around vertically in track view, it would change the role to the track number you moved it to. So you wouldn't have to manually set every role. If you move the audio clip horizontally, it would detach the audio from the video.

A similar convention could work for video. But it would be a little more complicated because the stacking order affects the output on video, whereas it doesn't with audio.

Of course, I expect this is thinking too far outside the box for many.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on May 23, 2013 at 10:46:44 pm

They both have a Selection/Select Tool.
Premiere has Slip, Slide and Roll Tools while FCPX incorporates all three of those into the single Trim Tool.
Both programs have a Hand Tool and Zoom Tool.
Both programs have a Blade Tool and Blade All functionality.
Premiere has the Rate Stretch tool while FCPX has the equally useful Retiming function.
Premiere has a Pen Tool, but in my opinion this does not make adding keyframes any easier than it already is in both Premiere and FCPX.
FCPX has a Position Tool and a Range Tool; the former is not necessary in Premiere and the latter is extremely useful.
Both programs have Overwrite edits, Replace edits, Insert edits and Shuffle edits.
FCPX also has an Append edit.
Premiere allows Ripple trimming, and FCPX --by default-- definitely allows Ripple trimming.
Both programs allow Extend edits and top and tail edits...

What trim tools does Premiere Pro CS6 have that Final Cut Pro X does not?

Gabriel Spaulding
Creator & Director of ACE Enterprizes

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 23, 2013 at 11:00:38 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] "What trim tools does Premiere Pro CS6 have that Final Cut Pro X does not?"

He's talking about JKL live trimming, which MC has had for some time, and Pr just got. Having used it in both those apps, I don't miss it at all in X, but that's just me of course... :-)

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on May 23, 2013 at 11:42:14 pm

You can still use JKL, press Option+[ to trim the head and Option+] to trim the tail; press C while playing to select a clip, use , to nudge the clip left 1-frame and Shift+, to nudge multiple frames, press . to nudge the clip right 1-frame and Shift+. to nudge the clip multiple frames. This is real-time trimming but no, you don't get any visual feedback in the Viewer at present.

Gabriel Spaulding
Creator & Director of ACE Enterprizes

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 23, 2013 at 11:02:02 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] "What trim tools does Premiere Pro CS6 have that Final Cut Pro X does not?"

Not Neil (assume he's who you're asking this question of), but FCP X is lacking in some trimming functionality for those who use trimming a lot. My own personal biggest gripe is that the two window display for trimming only appears when trims are performed by click and drag. Many editors, myself included, like to do frame trims with keyboard shortcuts while viewing the display so that you can easily line up visual cues on both sides of the trim.

FCPX should allow for a trim display that comes up automatically when an edit point is selected with the trim tool or edge selection shortcuts, or even just having a separate view like they do with the angle viewer. Then we could perform trims more easily with the < and > keys.

Add that to my list.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 8, 2013 at 11:01:34 pm

David,

I understand.

But I've never figured out how one can search, sort, or find anything by a color in an organizational system beyond a single person doing the simplest form of visual search?

One can perform search, sort and find operations on the NAME of a color. But NOT the color itself.

I don't know of a single database that has the facility to allow the user to click on a color and use, say, RGB values to derrive a subset.

It's certainly possible, I've just never seen a system that's implemented that type of search function. So what's the point of basing your practices on a thing that has this type of limited global utility?.

I agree color is a great visual marker - but it's a pretty terrible boolean tool.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 9, 2013 at 12:35:42 am

[Bill Davis] "But I've never figured out how one can search, sort, or find anything by a color in an organizational system beyond a single person doing the simplest form of visual search?"

Perhaps not, but not all organizational tools need be index searchable. For example, I'd heartily support color coded clips in the timeline to represent roles. It can be done elegantly and it would allow editors to understand which clips are tagged with which roles at a glance without having to isolate the role itself. The colors themselves could also be check box viewable. In other words, you see no change in color unless you go into the Timeline view tab and and check the "View roles by color" check box. It would be better than the current "Show Clip Roles" function which only changes the barely readable text to display the role.

Andy

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 9, 2013 at 12:48:01 am

[Bill Davis] "One can perform search, sort and find operations on the NAME of a color. But NOT the color itself.

I don't know of a single database that has the facility to allow the user to click on a color and use, say, RGB values to derrive a subset.

It's certainly possible, I've just never seen a system that's implemented that type of search function. So what's the point of basing your practices on a thing that has this type of limited global utility?."

Simple, just associate a label with a color, for example:

green = good
red = reject
purple = B-roll

Search and sort on the label assigned to the color. Problem solved. I've worked this way this for years and it works great. Best of both worlds! :)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Yongxing Fan
on May 7, 2013 at 7:10:15 am

FCPX should add iCloud!HAHA

http://www.finalcolor.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved