FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alternative to DVD Studio Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane O'Donnell
Alternative to DVD Studio Pro?
on May 2, 2013 at 11:17:10 pm

Hello! Apparently DVD Studio Pro is no longer offered by Apple. If I want to author DVDs with menus after creating a movie on FCPX, what are my alternatives and their Pros & Cons?

(Note: I am aware that one of my alternatives is not using FCPX)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Alternative to DVD Studio Pro?
on May 3, 2013 at 12:30:31 am

Hi Shane

I switched to Adobe Encore which is part of the production suite bundle. Its kind of on a similar level to DVDSP, easy to learn and pretty much similar in terms of features to DVDSP with the added ability to create BluRay disks. Menu creation is fairly easy and the integration with Photoshop can be very useful. Adobe Media Encoder works well although I still use Compressor from time to time. I have used Encore for both DVD authoring and BluRay creation (along with a Samsung SE 506 burner.) I tried Toast but found it unreliable and kept getting failures trying to burn BluRay disks.
Probably 1 in 4 would complete. The others would hang during burning. Toast is a much more simplistic piece of software and offers less flexibility in menu creation.

Its a shame Encore is not available as a stand alone app as buying the whole suite is quite expensive however I was lucky enough to qualify for a student and teacher edition which saved a huge amount.

Hope thats helpful.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Shane O'Donnell
on May 4, 2013 at 5:28:02 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied! I checked out the Suite and it looks like I can "rent" it by the month or year. I think I'll rent it for a month and see how things go, and then buy it if it does everything I need it to do.

It's a shame that Apple seems to have abandoned this (admittedly small) segment of the market.

Drab As a Fool, Aloof As a Bard.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 3, 2013 at 12:36:25 am

On the Mac side, the only choice with a decent amount of customizability left is Encore by Adobe.
If we're talking feature film level type of authoring for replication with advanced features, scripting etc - forget the Mac, thanks to Apple there is no proper alternative software left on that platform.
Your only viable choices would be on the PC side with Scenarist SD, DVDArchitect and DVDLab.
DVDArchitect is probably the closest at a similar price point to DVDSP, and it runs fine via bootcamp. Very feature rich, also a lot less bugs than Encore.
Scenarist SD was and is the top level authoring app with the most advanced feature set but it's still expensive and the learning curve is much steeper compared to Encore or Architect.
If you're also interested in Blu-ray authoring it's an entirely different story; again, no proper, professional software whatsoever on the Mac platform.
Whatever software you choose - do yourself and your clients a favor and don't encode with compressor - neither h264 nor mpeg2. Quality is not on par compared with other encoders.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 3, 2013 at 1:19:46 pm

Or, if you still have fcp7 suite, just install and use DVDSP

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 3, 2013 at 4:41:42 pm

It is possible to get copies Final cut Studio ( containing DVD Studio Pro ) on ebay.

There is one up at the moment for £24 with 2 days to run.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]