FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conan O'brien illustrates short-comings of FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stevo Chang
Conan O'brien illustrates short-comings of FCPX
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:44:04 am

Conan just got in on the FCPX discussion:

I think this video is a clever way of illustrating the problems professionals see with FCPX.

I'm relieved to see a celebrity like Conan bringing the FCPX discussion to the national stage. Hopefully it will bring more attention to the shortcomings of FCPX and convince Apple to seriously consider the issues FCP7 users have with FCPX.

FCP - RIP 2011

Return to posts index

Morten Balling
Re: Conan O'brien illustrates short-comings of FCPX
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:28:12 am

That is the funniest video I have seen for a long time! :)

Return to posts index

Michel Gallone
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:33:16 am

LOVE it....
That reflects so so so much what it really is....

Michel Gallone
Sowatt Music sàrl
Music Post and Shooting
http://sowattmusic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:24:48 pm

The guys in this video are all part of Creative COW. Both Rob Ashe and Dan Dome wrote articles for Creative COW Magazine, and Rob's article included a picture of Dave. (Way to go, Dave!)

They're really wonderful articles. You should definitely take a look. Oh, and in Dan's article, he talks about leading the transition to FCP at Conan's previous show, as well as at Saturday Night Live.

You'll really enjoy both of them.

Rob Ashe, Designing Conan

Dan Dome, Wiring Conan

Just 2 more reasons you should be subscribing to Creative COW Magazine!

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:32:13 pm

Simply brilliant work. Much better than the "New Coke" "Old Coke" idea a few others did. but then the Conan show is a brilliant deal.

Can't believe Conan actually ran this on the show. Shows the level to which Apple "didn't listen." That's the constant refrain I heard from multiple broadcast operations that called, wrote and visited our shop yesterday. "Apple didn't listen to us."

For the larger facilities there is zero "waiting to see what Apple does next." There is move on to another platform and I believe Adobe will get the lion's share of the major FCP post houses and Avid will get a sizeable chunk as well. Even in the education market, you'll see a shift away from FCP.

No sense in complaining any longer, just move on to another tool like we're doing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Sean Morton
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:49:39 pm

Hello Walter

I want to move to a 64 bit application and was anticipating an excellent FCP X application. I feel like i finally have a grasp on FCP.

Does anybody have any inside info on what apple is doing? Are you really moving that fast to dump FCP for something else.? Do you have inside info that would suggest we all move along? I can wait a little while for FCPX if i knew they were addressing concerns promptly? Being how cloak and dagger they were about releasing FCP X and lacking any kind of dates for that release i am certainly concerned. If i am going to learn a new interface I need to learn it before my busy season in the fall.

I am really not looking forward to learning a new interface!!

Return to posts index

Andrew Corneles
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:21:28 pm

[Sean Morton] "
Does anybody have any inside info on what apple is doing? Are you really moving that fast to dump FCP for something else.? Do you have inside info that would suggest we all move along? I can wait a little while for FCPX if i knew they were addressing concerns promptly? Being how cloak and dagger they were about releasing FCP X and lacking any kind of dates for that release i am certainly concerned. If i am going to learn a new interface I need to learn it before my busy season in the fall."

I think for most of us (not to speak for walter) this is not
a knee jerk reaction but the final deciding factor for
those that have been patient for 2-4 (or 8, depending
how you look at it) years for FCP to really step up and
start using the power of the machines we've bought to run the
software...

I've been looking at PP since the NAB event, because what
they showed was literally iMovie. After waiting for years
for AAPL to catch up to Adobe, and hoping for FCP 8 64 bit,
we get FCPX, which was the nail in the coffin.

I don't think there's any question (for lots of us)
that AAPL has decided to take our app, and kill it.

I think once the shock of it actually happening wore off,
We're just resigned and hopeful to work towards a clean
transition to the next tool.

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:12:46 pm

Time to move on. FCP 7 was a major disappointment. Many of us were waiting for a major IMPROVEMENT with the next Final Cut 8. Instead, FCPX went 30 steps backwards. If you already know FCP then Premiere will be easy to learn. Avid is not that difficult either.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:56:57 pm

[walter biscardi] "Can't believe Conan actually ran this on the show."

Well, as I mention in the post above, some of the funniest guys in the business happen to work for Conan, are all over the COW, and have been big users of FCP.

We had two members of his staff write articles for Creative COW Magazine, including the one responsible for introducing FCP to that show. :-) Check them out.

Sorry to mention this twice on the same thread, but there are two stories and they're both that good. :-)

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:06:23 pm

And kudos to Conan for dedicating a bit on his show to an inside joke that most of the audience won't fully understand. You can tell that he really has the backs of his creative staff.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Chad Wilmoth
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:00:03 pm

[Michel Gallone] "LOVE it....
That reflects so so so much what it really is...."

Well, not really, they should have said how awesome their edited piece was - but too bad, you can't see it, because we can't output to tape.

Chad Wilmoth
Visual Reality Studios
http://www.visual-reality-studios.com

Return to posts index

Matt Penn
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:10:57 pm

That's great, the fourth wall has broken and collapsed in on itself ;)

Matthew Penn
Post Production Supervisor
Citi

Return to posts index

Reed Black
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:20:22 pm

Hilarious video.

But here's what I don't get about people jumping off of FCP. Had apple NOT released this those same people would CONTINUE to make money off of FCP7 - which works. Nothing has changed. Why waist time, money and effort switching to another platform if the current workflow works? Was FCP7 THAT bad?! Not for me. I've cut literally over 600 episodes of shows that were 30min to 60minutes, several features, and over 400 commercials. Mostly on FCP. So, now that FCPX is out and its not quite up to professional snuff well, SO. I'll continue making a living off of FCP7 until FCPX is up to pro level again. Its what most if not all who are upset would've continued to do anyway. Avid? Hell no. And I started the first 5 years of my career on an avid. Got taste of FCP and never looked back. Premiere? Seriously?

This being said, I completely agree with the sentiment about dropping (or not included yet) basic common features used in professional production workflows as being a dumb move. But having had a chance to see for myself what this program can do I have to say WOW! There's some incredible stuff here. I mean incredible! Am I going to use it in a production environment yet (I have 12 episode show to cut in july) no not yet. Should apple have released this in this state? Maybe but not. But now that they did its a good time to get familiar with what will MOST CERTAINLY become the new way of cutting. Time to get used too? Yep but hey, in the meantime I still have and will continue to make money from FCP7 supported or not. Just had to get this off my chest.

Reed Black

Return to posts index

Andrew Corneles
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:44:02 pm

[Reed Black] "But now that they did its a good time to get familiar with what will MOST CERTAINLY become the new way of cutting."

Can't agree that iMovie pro will most certainly become the new way of cutting for anyone other than 1 man bands and home movie makers.

There's a certain paradigm in editing that just works for professionals.

FCP made it a little more mouse centric, but the basics stay the same,
for many reasons. There's a reason we need a viewer.

[Reed Black] "I'll continue making a living off of FCP7 until FCPX is up to pro level again. Its what most if not all who are upset would've continued to do anyway."

The problem is, we wouldn't have continued, as the speed of computers (specifically the ones we buy from AAPL)
have increased their processing incredibly, and FCP7 has not kept up.

If you're really going to wait until fcpx is up to professional
standards you might be in for quite a shock... Many of us
just won't be held hostage while AAPL makes up their mind to
help out the pros. I think they've already stated they won't.

[Reed Black] "Premiere? Seriously?"

this should have been in Conan's video.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:49:19 pm

that was good for a couple chuckles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]