FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can either of the two NLE's do this

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Sanchez
Can either of the two NLE's do this
on Apr 28, 2013 at 8:54:58 pm

Since this forum seems to have both the Adobe and Apple camps I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is possible. I have clips that are 60fps on a 24 timeline. This is fine. Now at some point I need a clip to play in slo mo. Is there a way setting or plugin that will allow me to force a clip to play all its frames so I get slo mo. Just using the speed change does this based on the twenty four frames of the timeline. I like high quality slo mo without having to go out to compressor.
Thanks for any tips

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Can either of the two NLE's do this
on Apr 28, 2013 at 9:00:11 pm

PPro has the ability to "interpret clip as (frame rate)". I am not sure of FCPx as I am not familiar with it.

Michael

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Apr 28, 2013 at 9:14:59 pm

FCPX supports native frame rate playback, under speed, just choose conform and it'll play back frame for frame, slow mo for 60fps in a 24fps timeline.

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com
dc@davidchai.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 28, 2013 at 9:23:28 pm

You may not be happy with the results you get from slomoing 24fps footage - it tends to stutter because of the smaller number of frames than 30 or 60fps. Generally, you want to use frame blending to smooth this over. Do a Google search on "frame blending in slomo" and you'll find a number of examples illustrating the results.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:01:59 am

I think he's talking about the reverse. Taking 60fps in a 24p sequence.

In his case, using the conform tool, each second of 60fps video would become 2:10 in a 24fps sequence.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 28, 2013 at 10:13:40 pm

If you have AE you should check out the "Timewarp" effect. I don't know how it does it but it creates beautiful slo-mo from regular footage that looks like it was shot at a higher frame rate even though it wasn't.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 28, 2013 at 11:45:29 pm

Yea, Greg -

Timewarp is based on The Foundry's Kronos technology, used quite a bit in high-end productions. Without getting in over my head, it basically figures out where the pixels would be if there was actually a frame in-between the existing frames. It then creates actual frames based on optical flow and motion estimation, and inserts them between the existing frames - looks like magic to me...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:58:43 am

I've used Timewarp. It can produce nice results, but it seemed to take a lot of tweeking to tune out artifacts.

RE:VisionFX Twixtor is my usual go-to, optical flow tool.

I think Timewarp is available inside of Premiere as well as AE.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 29, 2013 at 1:43:37 am

[Scott Thomas] "RE:VisionFX Twixtor is my usual go-to, optical flow tool."

Agreed. Expensive but worth it.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:12:43 am

The FCPX speed tool also allows you to use Optical Flow for your retiming, and it's pretty good too.

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com
dc@davidchai.com

Return to posts index

Vince Sanchez
on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:48:25 am

Great info everyone. I'll be checking out the options mentioned. I'm well aware of AE and Twixtor use both. Just had a quick project I was working on and started wondering if I could just do it on the timeline with reasonable quality.

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:46:43 am

This link explains how to do it in FCPX:

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:32:55 pm

Those guys should keep their day jobs. Both misspoke and said incorrect things numerous times as they seemingly made it up as they went along.

I'll have to give it a try, but I'm pretty sure you can do the exact same thing in 7. Just divide the target frame rate by the natural frame rate and apply that percent speed change without frame blending or ramping.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 29, 2013 at 2:07:38 pm

Hi Vince,

I don't have any 60p clips to test with, but my understanding is that in Premiere you just right-click (or Mac alternative) the clip in the Project bin and choose "Modify > Interpret" and then set the frame rate to 24 there (probably called 23.976), then when you put the 60p clip into a 24p sequence, it will play all the frames, providing a nice smooth slow-motion of about 40% speed. Clips without this change will just play regular speed, Adobe does that automatically.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Santiago Martí
on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:29:57 pm

Like Jeff says, in Ppro you can conform footage to 24fps or 23.976fps and you are done. It works, no rendering.

Santiago Martí
http://www.robotrojo.com.ar
Red One M-X, Red Epic X, Red Pro Primes, Adobe CS6, Assimilate Scratch

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:38:12 pm

That would be a nice addition in the inspector. There really isn't any rendering required in X either. The orange line basically means something isn't native, or has been layered or changed, etc. doesn't mean it can't play back rt by any means.

It's nice to be able to conform in the timeline. Leave the master alone. Then you could ramp in and out of the conformed slowmo from real time.

Return to posts index

Vince Sanchez
on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:15:05 am

[Bret Williams] "It's nice to be able to conform in the timeline. Leave the master alone. Then you could ramp in and out of the conformed slowmo from real time."

That what I'm trying to achieve. I will be trying some of these ideas out in the next day or two.

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]