FORUMS: list search recent posts

I finally got this DNxHD stuff sorted out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
I finally got this DNxHD stuff sorted out
on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:29:13 pm

A while back I downloaded the Avid codecs to my PC and tried several times to export a DNxHD file from Premiere Pro, with no success. I mentioned it on the Premiere forum and no one knew what was wrong. Every time I tried to export, the media encoder immediately stopped, and a yellow triangle with an exclamation point appeared. It was really puzzling and frustrating, and left me feeling a bit bummed out. I knew being able to export to DNxHD would help a lot- especially for bringing stuff back to Premiere after doing things in After Effects.

While reading and watching videos about the improvements in the new versions of Premiere and AE, I remember seeing a lot about how more formats have the "match sequence settings" option available in the media encoder- and also seeing comments about how more formats still need to be supported. I remember someone saying that the ones that have it now are delivery formats, like H264, and it really needs to be added to things like ProRes and DNxHD as well, so we don't have to go through and change every setting before we export them.

That got me thinking about working with DNxHD again, and made me think that maybe there was a setting somewhere that I missed when I did the export. I went back and tried it again, and sure enough, I saw a lot of stuff that could have led to the failed encodes that I did before. When I set the output format to quicktime, the default format that appeared first was a DV codec. When I changed it to DNxHD, all the output settings were still set for the DV codec that first appeared.

I remember seeing this when I first did it, and going through and changing things, but I'm guessing I overlooked a few things because I figured they would be set right already since the whole codec setting had been changed. But this time I went through the whole thing really well, and made sure I got everything matching, and lo and behold- it worked.

I'm really glad I got that figured out, because I can really see it coming in handy- especially for AE workflows.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: I finally got this DNxHD stuff sorted out
on Apr 27, 2013 at 12:14:48 am

And there will be "native" support for native DNxHD and ProRes in the next version of PPro making workflows even easier.

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=54F1DFB7-9BD4-C2AD-3AA6D63A23B89655

Michael

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 29, 2013 at 1:53:45 pm

Hi Michael,

I read through the linked article twice and it doesn't reference Premiere - it's about Adobe Prelude adding support for INGEST of ProRes and DNxHD files.

Premiere already plays these formats just fine, Mac or PC, except one cannot encode to ProRes on the PC. Now if they added that capability, it would be nice to have.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:45:09 pm

DNxHD is very finicky - you have to correctly match frame size with frame rate for the specific DNxHD codec - 145 must be 1080i material and not 23.98p.

That's about 99% of DNxHD/QT problems right there.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]