FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Cloud and my glacial internet...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Porthouse
The Cloud and my glacial internet...
on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:03:11 am

I've been following the arguments over the merits and pitfalls of Adobe's wholesale adoption of the Cloud with interest - I'm a cross-platform editor, using Legacy, X and Avid at the moment. Premiere hasn't really made inroads into my working life, but that may well change with the release of 7 as a replacement for Legacy. I am concerned with the lack of being able to buy physical copies though - for a very simple reason. I live in an area where the Internet is slow - I get maybe 3 mB download on a good day. When I installed X on my laptop it took maybe 4 attempts before I hooked a clean install. I dread to think what it would take to download the whole suite. Sometimes the move toward non-physical delivery of software ignores those of us who have a less than optimal internet connection... and no, moving isn't an option!

Anyone else in the same boat?

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: The Cloud and my glacial internet...
on Apr 24, 2013 at 3:17:17 pm

Yes, there are others in your same situation. I met a guy from Alaska at NAB that had the same issue. I would contact Adobe Customer Service and express your concerns.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:19:54 pm

Is Exede available to you?
It's dependable and genuine broadband with a small dish.
My studios are on a fairly remote mountain and it allows us to deliver creative around the country and I'm moving GBs of material with it and doing regular software updates of a few GBs etc.

Return to posts index

Karl Soule
on Apr 26, 2013 at 2:00:37 pm

Another point I'd make about Creative Cloud is that it's not about downloading a multi-GB Master Collection installer - when you first subscribe and download, you're downloading a small utility called the Adobe Application Manager. From there, you can pick and choose which apps to download and install. Once the Application Manager is installed, you won't be prompted for a serial number again. You can download Premiere Pro today, download Photoshop tomorrow, etc, as needed. If, 2 weeks from now, you realize you need Illustrator, just fire up Application Manager and start downloading.

All that said, the installers for the individual products are still pretty big - usually a few hundred MB each. But, as someone in a far corner of the world (Singapore) I find the Cloud downloads much more doable than a 6GB single file.

Karl Soule'
blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad
k soule (@) adobe (period) com
Twitter: karlsoule

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]