FORUMS: list search recent posts

will never use any other editing software other than what Adobe provides - even if they hate it

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cardonna
will never use any other editing software other than what Adobe provides - even if they hate it
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:31:05 am

So says Bob Zelin and other very interestingstuff: Please read his full article.

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/nab-2013-bob-zelin-the-evolution-re...

Adobe Anywhere was the most important product at NAB 2013 - more amazing than the Blackmagic 4K camera, or anyone else's product. The reality that "one day soon" (and "one day" right now for CNN) that you can be in Iraq with a WiFi Connection and can access your company server's 4K media and edit it over WiFi, and don't need any other equipment - well that just makes me sick.

Anyone that can afford it will buy Adobe Anywhere, and anyone that has Adobe Anywhere will never use any other editing software other than what Adobe provides - even if they hate it - because Adobe Anywhere is just too important of a product. Once your facility owns Adobe Anywhere, everyone can do everything, all at full media resolution, on a laptop sitting at Starbucks Coffee.

It works by streaming the video to you, not by creating proxy files. All you need is the server setup that is powerful enough to feed your users. As this product becomes more accessible to the regular production and post production companies, the only products that will survive will be the ones that tie in with Adobe Anywhere.

I can foresee that the model of the old post production facility will embrace Adobe Anywhere - at any cost - to convince smaller companies to let them maintain their media (on their servers, archive systems and asset management) so that the client can just "log in" via WiFi, and do their full 4K editing, and ultimately deliver to that TV station or client (via Aspera or Signiant, who were both the hit of digital delivery at NAB 2013). The giant "post house" will maintain a large Adobe Anywhere server, which they will allow their clients to use, and all the production companies will say "all we need are these laptops and an AJA T-Tap or Blackmagic Mini Monitor - we don't have to buy any more equipment ever again".

So, will Adobe take over the world? I think so.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: will never use any other editing software other than what Adobe provides - even if they hate it
on Apr 24, 2013 at 3:22:10 am

I am sure Bob is biased towards facilities and networks. There are plenty of small operators who will just take a laptop/tablet & edit where they like with or without wifi. Many editors will not need Anywhere so NLE choice is not only with Adobe, but I share Bob's enthusiasm for the concept.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: will never use any other editing software other than what Adobe provides - even if they hate it
on Apr 24, 2013 at 3:55:51 am

And didn't I see avid demonstrate basically the same thing? It may be the future, but geez Adobe hardly has a monopoly on the concept.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:20:20 am

What about FCPX anywhere?

All you need is a Macbook pro and if necessary a small thunderbolt drive. An enormous amount of editors have no need to either work 'anywhere' or edit collaboratively.

BOB ZELIN - "Anyone that can afford it will buy Adobe Anywhere, and anyone that has Adobe Anywhere will never use any other editing software other than what Adobe provides - even if they hate it - because Adobe Anywhere is just too important of a product. Once your facility owns Adobe Anywhere, everyone can do everything, all at full media resolution, on a laptop sitting at Starbucks Coffee.

It works by streaming the video to you, not by creating proxy files. All you need is the server setup that is powerful enough to feed your users. "

Bob talk about organisations such as CNN working in the field with Adobe Anywhere and I can sort of see it working within a large company although you would need the a blisteringly fast and stable internet connection. But editing in Starbucks doesn't really stack up unless you are slamming shots together for a news piece. I would need somewhere quieter to work as I see editing as primarily a mental process obviously aided by any of the leading NLEs available.

"As this product becomes more accessible to the regular production and post production companies, the only products that will survive will be the ones that tie in with Adobe Anywhere."

Whilst I appreciate Bob's enthusiasm that seems like a rather myopic statement.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 24, 2013 at 8:20:23 am

Adobe Anywhere has the potential to be a game changer for groups of editors that need to collaborate on fast amounts of media. It also requires you to invest in an infrastructure and expensive servers. For some this is an golden state they are entering (such as CNN), but for the vast majority of editors I'd imagine its not even something they care about.

For us - a small, relatively high-end post shop in Sweden, I don't see the need for it at all. I understand it might be great for some but certainly not a game-changer for editors in all fields. What we could use is a shared project / storage solution for 2-4 editors but the infrastructure problems makes us not go that route.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 24, 2013 at 12:18:38 pm

For sake of clarity, Bob's work is almost entirely small companies and usually not broadcasters or networks. He has installed plenty of small SAN and networked installations that service their needs.

If the objective is editing at Starbucks, then Avid and Quantel have already been delivering that capability for at least a year or more with Interplay Sphere and QTube respectively.

Adobe Anywhere sounds like very cool technology, but it involves investment is a heavy-duty centralized infrastructure. SAN, several enterprise grade Windows servers, high performance NVIDIA cards, outward facing network structure and Adobe software. It is not a piece of software you order and download from Adobe. It's a professional services installation that will be handled by a certified VAR.

AFAIK, to date CNN is a test bed, not an active, across the board user.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:22:49 pm

If your objective is to edit at Starbucks, you're too concerned about using your edit system as a babe magnet!

I've already got Adobe Anywhere...it's called a Lenovo W510 laptop running the CS6 Master Collection - just fine. But I use it at my clients facilities - I wouldn't be caught dead editing at a coffee shop - too many distractions...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:16:45 pm

I do see the power of Adobe Anywhere even for smaller shops that might have an editor at the client or agency a day or two here or there. It's an enormous freedom having access to everything via the net. I however also know the reality of internet availability. It can be shaky as hell at times and having to rely on that while editing could be quite a head-ache also.

I'd like to see it to believe it - in the real world that is. I also think the initial cost will scare a lot of people away as well. We're not talking an off the shelf MacMini with a Pegasus raid or some random gigabit NAS as storeage. We're talking dedicated hardware at quite a high level.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 24, 2013 at 7:37:42 pm

[Mark Dobson] "What about FCPX anywhere?

All you need is a Macbook pro and if necessary a small thunderbolt drive."

This was also mentioned by bob: http://www.axlevideo.com/product.html

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:32:18 pm

At NAB I asked the product manager for anywhere and there is no video out currently. In other words, the streamed proxy that you are working with isn't going to be able to be converted to an accurate baseband output on the fly. And maybe it never will, so start the bitching chorus re no baseband out to a professional monitor like we had for 10.0.0. Also, it is not just a stream. The processing can happen either locally or remotely (on the server) depending on what the render is. Whichever is more expedient will happen - local render or remote render.

Something is wrong with the thought of a big post house hosting footage and anywhere servers. Always the client will want a font or plugin that isn't available on the anywhere servers that will make for more trouble than it is worth, but maybe they'll figure that all out.

And according to http://www.starbucks.com/store-locator, there is no starbucks in bagdahd.

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:34:21 pm

I'd imagine color accuracy isn't key for this kind of workflow now. For some that's probably a tradeoff they're willing to take.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:45:57 pm

It could be a game changer for news where image quality takes a back seat to content. But in the field - in news, you are often editing things shot along side you in the field. You aren't typically in a baghdad starbucks editing file footage back on the anywhere servers into your report on a whatever. You're editing you're footage of the event and the reporter to submit.

And for creative post, image quality does matter as does external video. Color is one thing, compression of the image is another.

I'm more pleased with the project sharing in roads they've made in anywhere than the "anywhere" part of it.

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:54:08 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "Anyone that can afford it will buy Adobe Anywhere, and anyone that has Adobe Anywhere will never use any other editing software other than what Adobe provides - even if they hate it - because Adobe Anywhere is just too important of a product. Once your facility owns Adobe Anywhere, everyone can do everything, all at full media resolution, on a laptop sitting at Starbucks Coffee. "

'Anywhere' is an odd beast. It's true that it hypothetically will enable people to edit at Starbucks. But for many types of projects, you can already do that without any kind of centralized server — today's high end and even mid-range laptops are more than capable of doing local rendering at a very good pace, and you can store dozens or hundreds hours of proxy footage on an easily portable hard drive. 'Anywhere' ironically isn't really all that appealing in terms of letting users edit from more places. Rather, it's useful specifically to users who need to collaborate with each other in particular types of ways, which are relevant to some projects/workflows, but not really relevant at all to others.

As for "You can be in Iraq with a WiFi Connection and can access your company server's 4K media and edit it over WiFi", there are two major problems with that. One is that I'm highly skeptical that random Iraqi Internet connections (or random hotel room Internet connections in the US, for that matter) are really going to be up to streaming high quality video. The second is, aren't you editing video in Iraq because you're shooting video in Iraq? If you want to cut using 'Anywhere' via a server in the US, you have to first get all the video you shot back to the US. Even for CNN, with routine access to satellite transmission, it seems like it would be a lot more cost effective to edit content locally and transmit finished pieces than to transmit every frame of every clip and edit using 'Anywhere'.

And if you don't have routine access to satellite transmission, what are you going to do? Upload a few hundred gigs of raw footage over that random Iraqi WiFi? Good luck. The workflow I'd adopt in this kind of scenario would be to edit locally and upload something like a Blu-ray quality H.264 encode of the final output. No particular requirement for 'Anywhere' there.

[Richard Cardonna] "So, will Adobe take over the world? I think so."

Given Anywhere's current requirements, initial adoption isn't going to happen that rapidly, so competitors likely have several years to respond.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:47:52 pm

It's always interesting to see how the same thing is interpreted by different people.

I see Adobe Anywhere, and Avid's Interplay Sphere, as giving editors an easier way to telecommute, for lack of a better term. I don't think everyone and their brother is going to have a big server up and running but for production companies this can be a way to cost effectively add editors without having to add more physical seats. Instead of having day shifts and night shifts everyone could be working the same schedule though some people are in the office and some people are telecommuting. Instead of sending drives of footage editors could just connect remotely.

It certainly won't fit everyone's bill but it will be a nice option to have... assuming it works as advertised. ;)

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 24, 2013 at 7:03:28 pm

Agee but all those that freelance with the biggies will have to work with Adobe.

Richard

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 25, 2013 at 12:48:41 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "It certainly won't fit everyone's bill but it will be a nice option to have... assuming it works as advertised. ;)"

I agree. But, working on the road will be iffy for a long time. I'm not sure it will be able to allow "working at Starbucks" for a long time. Has anyone actually tried to watch a YouTube video at 720P in a Starbucks or a hotel wifi network? It's just not going to happen unless Starbucks or hotels make significant upgrades to their system. And why would they do that when it works fine for Facebook.

And I know at the institution I work at, there simply isn't the bandwidth for this. For our 300 employee organization we could easily occupy about half the internet bandwidth we have. People would be at our office doors trying to murder us. So great for medium to large size production facilities where they can dictate network requirements, for the rest of us I'm not so sure.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:43:40 pm

Yes but if adobe anywhere takes the medium to highend it will mean the death of avid and a hard rethincking on the part of apple as to its development of fcpx into a pro app. If adobe becomes the defacto tool for highend content it will sway all the wannabees talented or not into its realm. What incentive will developers have? All schools will be adobe only. The exception will be the diehard users of other apps they will be a vanashing breed.

Richard

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 26, 2013 at 1:27:55 pm

However, if the application isn't as snappy as editing with local files, these facilities aren't going to use it either. We're talking milliseconds here. The engineering hurdles are going to be enormous. Also, I wouldn't count on Apple not having something similar eventually.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]