FORUMS: list search recent posts

My thoughts on the next Premiere Pro after seeing it

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
My thoughts on the next Premiere Pro after seeing it
on Apr 20, 2013 at 2:08:03 am

As I mentioned before, the Premiere Pro user group that I'm going to was very lucky to get a demo of the upcoming new version at our last meeting. I was asked to share my thoughts on it, and I saw a few things during the demo that I don't think have been mentioned much and seemed like they would be of interest to people here, so I thought I'd do a bit of a bit of reporting.

First, the things that stood out that I really liked, or didn't know until seeing the demo, or saw in more detail than I had so far:

---------------------------------------------------

TRACK HEADER LAYOUTS- There's a lot of options there that are really useful, like the audio meters and I also saw you can add a "panning" knob as well. It's a bit like having Audition's audio tracks inside Premiere, if you set it up right.

SYMMETRICAL TRANSITION TRIMMING- When you change the duration of a transition by dragging the edge of it, it now extends symmetrically on both sides. But, I for one am happy to say you can still do an asymmetrical trim by holding down the shift key.

AUTO-SELECT CLIP UNDER PLAYHEAD- You can now set it so that during playback, whichever clip that the playhead is over is automatically selected.

ON-SCREEN CLIP NAMES- There is now an option to have the name of the clip that you're over be displayed in the program monitor.

PLAYHEAD SNAPPING- You now have the option of having the playhead snap to everything all the time, not just when the shift key is held down. Thankfully, though, you still have the option of doing it the way it is now.

INTEGRATED MULTICAM- There is no longer a separate window for Multicam editing (HUZZAAAH!!). Just like the new trimming features, it now happens right in the program monitor.

DNXHD- The DNxHD integration is impressive. There are sequence presets for every flavor of DNxHD available. Also, the "Smart-Rendering" feature that got Aindreas excited about quickly exporting ProRes also works for DNxHD.

RE-BUILT AAF- The AAF Importer has been completely rebuilt by Automatic Duck.

REVEAL SEQUENCE- You now have the option to "reveal" your current sequence in the Project window.

CONTROL SURFACES- The same control surface support that's in Audition has now been transplanted over to Premiere. In addition to full-blown hardware mixers, you can also use a mixing app on an iPad, wirelessly.

PROJECT BROWSING- Browsing through other projects is super easy, and works really well from what I saw. When you find one in the Media Browser, it has a triangle next to it that can be twirled down. You click that just like you would for a file directory, and the top-level bins and sequences of the project appear. You can drag a whole bin up into your project, or go inside of it and browse the contents. David brought a sequence in from a duplicate project and it worked flawlessly- no duplicate masters, no re-linking, nothing. Just dragged it in and it was good to go. It was GLORIOUS....

--------------------------------

When I was watching this demo, for the first time it really began to sink in just how significant this release is, and how far it's come since the last release- even when I was watching things that I had already seen and read about online. I mentioned in a post to my other thread that watching short videos about individual features doesn't do this thing justice. Seeing them all used together in succession, one after the other on the same project, really gave me a sense for the first time of just how much better and more efficient Premiere's workflow as a whole has gotten. This new Premiere makes CS6 look like something that came out two upgrade cycles ago.

Now, admittedly, my perspective on this is probably a lot different than a lot of people here, since I've been using Premiere Pro for a long time. I imagine there's a lot of stuff in the next Premiere that made me excited that a lot of FCP7 editors wouldn't think much about- although, I imagine some of them will be very excited to have them BACK after loosing them. ;)

But nonetheless, this release is really something and Adobe is just getting going- now that they're about done patching holes and bringing Premiere up to speed, it will be interesting to see where they take this thing.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: My thoughts on the next Premiere Pro after seeing it
on Apr 20, 2013 at 6:37:26 am

Thanks for the review, Greg. Can't wait to try it!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 20, 2013 at 11:28:24 am

me too, until that is, I have one of my sudden characteristic changes of heart and start screaming about end times and direct debits..

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 20, 2013 at 2:39:35 pm

Why would you have a direct debit? I use a credit card for creative cloud. For almost a year now. Since I had a bundle of cs5 already, I've been paying a whopping $29 a month.

I guess it would debit if you had a fake visa/master card. But who would do that?

A lot of good demos and insight from retooled.net on vimeo. They show off most of the stuff listed above.

A most bizarre feature- trim to zero. You can trim a clip back until it disappears. Me, I'd just delete or ripple delete it. Weird feature. If I saw that I'd think its a bug.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 20, 2013 at 3:10:52 pm

well let's just say my freakout is at an end. If they really do go cloud, being honest - I'm buying it, or renting it. What else am I going to do, start using X for real? Properly learn avid? And me half an AE guy?
let's be serious.

Plus, in the end, I'm basically just itching like crazy to get my hands on that suite and PPro7 and speedgrade, audition, prelude, start figuring out logging workflow, mess about with C4D in AE, SG grading round tripping, try out the retooled conform plug-in - all that stuff.

me wantee now.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Apr 20, 2013 at 4:35:37 pm

[Bret Williams] "A most bizarre feature- trim to zero. You can trim a clip back until it disappears. Me, I'd just delete or ripple delete it. Weird feature. If I saw that I'd think its a bug."

FCPX has this feature as well. I thought it was odd at first. But now use it every once in awhile when I want to keep the same program duration.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Apr 20, 2013 at 7:06:48 pm

I'm trying to find this in FCP X (trim to zero) I can't find any mention of anything like this in the manual.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Adobe CS6, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.2

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Apr 20, 2013 at 7:35:27 pm

[Dave Jenkins] "I'm trying to find this in FCP X (trim to zero) I can't find any mention of anything like this in the manual."

Only works with the trim tool as far as I can tell.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 21, 2013 at 3:42:55 pm

Doesn't work for me. Trim tool or not. Or in precision editor. Leaves one frame.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 20, 2013 at 6:07:30 pm

[Bret Williams] "A most bizarre feature- trim to zero. You can trim a clip back until it disappears. Me, I'd just delete or ripple delete it. Weird feature. If I saw that I'd think its a bug.
"

I'm guessing you don't use Media Composer, then.

Return to posts index

Jok Daniel
on Apr 20, 2013 at 6:33:25 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I'm guessing you don't use Media Composer, then."

It's a very useful feature. It means I can keep trimming back a long clip on V1 even when the associated audio tracks have several shorter clips in the same space.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 20, 2013 at 6:58:26 pm

[Jok Daniel] "It's a very useful feature. "

I agree. Or at least I agree that it is a useful option. I don't know why Brett perceives it as a "feature" instead of simply part of the trimming rules. Or why he thinks its limited to Premiere.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 20, 2013 at 8:24:42 pm

Why wouldn't you just delete the clip? Or video portion of the clip? Still seems bizarre. Apparently you couldn't do it in CS6 is the only reason I mentioned it. They demo it on retooled as a new feature. In 20 years of NLE editing, Avid included for a few, I've never desired a clip to be trimmed into nothing. But doesn't bother me that the function exists. Good for it.

Return to posts index

Jok Daniel
on Apr 20, 2013 at 8:44:28 pm

[Bret Williams] "Why wouldn't you just delete the clip? Or video portion of the clip? Still seems bizarre."

A trim tool that requires me to manually delete clips to clear space before using it doesn't sound very useful to me.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 20, 2013 at 9:08:56 pm

[Jok Daniel] "[Bret Williams] "Why wouldn't you just delete the clip? Or video portion of the clip? Still seems bizarre."

A trim tool that requires me to manually delete clips to clear space before using it doesn't sound very useful to me.
"

I agree, but when you are mostly mouse driving, that particular move is fairly swift. The sweet spot for trimming in Legacy was/is quite different than in MC. For me, trimming in Legacy was at its best when using a mouse or trackpad. That, I think, is where the disconnect is.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 20, 2013 at 9:01:22 pm

[Bret Williams] "Why wouldn't you just delete the clip? Or video portion of the clip? Still seems bizarre. Apparently you couldn't do it in CS6 is the only reason I mentioned it. They demo it on retooled as a new feature. In 20 years of NLE editing, Avid included for a few, I've never desired a clip to be trimmed into nothing. But doesn't bother me that the function exists. Good for it."

Because you happen to be trimming at the moment, using the keyboard, and it is the fastest way to do it, especially if you are trimming with JKL. Your particular process doesn't work that way, so you've never noticed a reason for it. When I'm cutting on Avid, I probably end up trimming a clip out at least several times a week.

Here's an example: I'm trimming an insert shot and it isn't feeling quite right. I'm dynamic trimming the out point, and I wonder do I really need this insert. I hold the J key a beat or two longer and the shot is gone. Yes, I could have deleted the clip, but in that particular instance it was faster and less jarring to my process not to. I don't have to take my hands off where they are on the keyboard, I'm still in trim mode, etc.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 22, 2013 at 12:13:47 am

Can you add back frames after you've trimmed to zero?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 22, 2013 at 1:32:53 am

[Craig Alan] "Can you add back frames after you've trimmed to zero?"

No. Cmd Z to fix. I see I also failed to mention that when dynamic trimming, you need to nudge the trim key for the last frame.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:10:06 am

It would be cool to be able to go back in the other direction. Trim to no frames, play around play head, add back a second of frames, play around play head. But yeah command z will undo the trim. But delete will delete the entire clip and I thought the logic here was extending the trim function from zero to end of clip's media.

Personally I like Apple's decision to have three ways of doing many operations. It helps prevent fatigue and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:27:30 am

[Craig Alan] "It would be cool to be able to go back in the other direction. Trim to no frames, play around play head, add back a second of frames, play around play head."

Depends. I personally prefer that you are now trimming the new cut. But we are getting beyond granular in focus, here; aren't we?

[Craig Alan] "But delete will delete the entire clip and I thought the logic here was extending the trim function from zero to end of clip's media."

No. The point is that you don't have to leave trimming mode. But, hey, if it suits you delete it instead.

[Craig Alan] "Personally I like Apple's decision to have three ways of doing many operations. It helps prevent fatigue and carpal tunnel syndrome."

Yes, that's nice. But why do you think that's "Apple's way." If anything, X offers much less choice than it has in the past. And both Premiere and Media Composer offer many different approaches to any particular operation. As far as trimming variations go, MC is probably the current winner. Premiere Next might take that; we'll have to see.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:14:53 am

[Chris Harlan] "Yes, that's nice. But why do you think that's "Apple's way." If anything, X offers much less choice than it has in the past. And both Premiere and Media Composer offer many different approaches to any particular operation. As far as trimming variations go, MC is probably the current winner. Premiere Next might take that; we'll have to see."

I get you. You're in trim mode. I tend to work on a section of the time line rather than a function. I'm not very fluent.

Very true about Apple and X. I was really thinking of FCP legacy. And I think this was the Apple way and others borrowed from it. And you are correct - Apple is moving more towards less choices in their design and interface.

The Apple certification exam for FCP 6/7 for example (which has little to do with the professional world) often asks the three ways you can apply a blah blah blah.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:32:14 am

[Craig Alan] "The Apple certification exam for FCP 6/7 for example (which has little to do with the professional world) often asks the three ways you can apply a blah blah blah.
"

Ah! I get it now.

[Craig Alan] "I get you. You're in trim mode. I tend to work on a section of the time line rather than a function. I'm not very fluent. "

I go back and forth. I'm not a mode maniac by any means, but I've enjoyed it more this time around. It's kind of fun to get in a grove for a few minutes where you don't think of anything other than cuts and transitions and how they work together. Still, I do most of my work sectionally, moving between modes.

[Craig Alan] "Very true about Apple and X. I was really thinking of FCP legacy. And I think this was the Apple way and others borrowed from it. "

I can certainly agree with that. For me, the most beautiful thing about Legacy is/was how flexible it was/is. You could come at it from almost any angle and find a way to make it work. It was really quite brilliant, and I'm still a touch sad that it got junked. But that was then, and this is now. You are right, though; a minimum of three different ways to do everything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]