FORUMS: list search recent posts

just mastered to HDCAM our first FCPX job

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Cole
just mastered to HDCAM our first FCPX job
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:06:37 am

One of our clients came in with their first FCPX project and asked us to master it to tape. Simple.
Just exported it to a file from a MBP and put it onto our mastering MacPro and played it out to tape. Hmmmm . . .

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
Re: just mastered to HDCAM our first FCPX job
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:31:25 am

That's nice. You see, you have a job laying files out to tape. Good for you.
How about if a client comes in and asks you to edit. For broadcast. And it involves footage shot over several days. From 2 different cameras? Now, you won't need multi-cam - but how are you going to color-correct? And what if some of his audio needs cleaning up. Not all of it - just say half. And up till now you've relied on Waves Noise-X filters in Logic or ProTools to give you the best results. What are you going to do? And let's say that some of the footage needs a little roto work, and since it was shot at 24P, you'd like to work with those particular cuts in their native format - but not the entire clip - just the length of the cut. What are you going to do? Or are you going to give him a chair and ask him to do it himself, after which you'll export the file and send it to tape?
I guess it works if the client doesn't care that you can't use a vectorscope and waveform monitor with it. I guess it's OK if the client doesn't mind you jumping through hoops exporting every single clip that needs special treatment outside the FCPX universe (which is very small). I guess it works if you're satisfied that everything you do within FCPX must then be limited to FCPX, since there's no way to get the project out to another non-FCPX edit system.
So why are you satisfied with this? You do realize that the longer you wait for Apple to get its act together, the more time your competitors move further ahead of you. Not the competitors that don't know what a broadcast monitor is for. The other ones -that make the big bucks.

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:46:55 am

Yup - I agree with you all the way. But we, as an on-line mastering facility have to be able to handle anything a client throws at us.

So I have a client that edited a surf video on FCPX; good for him.

I have to be able to get it out to tape for him. Done.

We go with the flow, we still have 5 FCP 7 edit suites all working well and will be for a while yet. But we will also help those poor unfortunates who hit the brick wall when they can't go any further with their shiny new FCPX; all audio mixed and colourgraded on their little MBP; thats what Apple want isn't it?

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:10:52 am

OK. I was grouchy. Thought you were promoting the idea that FCP X sins can be forgiven simply by exporting quicktimes, heh, heh.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:39:39 am

Very nice. You should post these types of things in the other FCPX Technology forum.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]