FORUMS: list search recent posts

Someone out Apple Apple?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Bachelder
Someone out Apple Apple?
on Apr 19, 2013 at 7:01:31 am

a 13" ultrabok with i7 and touchscreen - Wonder how new Adobe suite will run on it?

http://us.toshiba.com/kira/specs/i7touch

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
Re: Someone out Apple Apple?
on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:29:57 pm

The PC side is banking on people wanting to touch their screens. I don't want to touch my screen on a laptop or workstation.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:34:27 pm

Craig -

I'm on the PC side, and in no way, shape, or manner do I want to touch my screen, on a laptop, or a desktop. I own a Blackberry Playbook with a touchscreen, and that's the only screen I ever want to touch.

Touchscreen technology, in my opinion, as a graphic artist, is a poor excuse for accuracy, little better than using a mouse to draw, which is like using a potato...I'll stick with my Wacom tablet, keyboard shortcuts, and mouse when I have to use it. Touchscreen is to computers, as 3D is to feature films, a fad which will pass.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:40:42 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I'll stick with my Wacom tablet, keyboard shortcuts"

Same here.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:04:21 pm

I don't even like to touch the touch screens on my cameras in the field.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:31:31 pm

The new Windows 8 Start Screen is wasted without touch - it's very elegant and much more customizable and useful than an iOS or Droid interface. Touch aside, I just thought it was funny after months of rumors of a retina display on the Macbook Air, someone else actually did it first and in a pretty sweet package - which is available without touchscreen by the way.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:42:48 pm

I love the touch screens. (though the only time I've actually touched them is during my once monthly visit to Best Buy.) But I would not want the touch to replace the track pad / mouse totally.

As a Mac user, I have to think there would need to be a significant rewrite of OSX to to accommodate
them so i don't think we will see them anytime soon. Maybe in OSXI, the lovechild of OSX and iOS.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 19, 2013 at 5:24:14 pm

Lance -

I tried the touch screens with Win8 at a Staples, and I must say that I liked the mechanics of the software. Navigation was easy, and simple, and made sense.

But I don't trust that the granularity of movement is tight enough to make the touchscreen practical for work inside Illustrator, Photoshop, AE, or PPro. I see the comparison between touchscreen and say, a Wacom tablet, as being akin to comparing finger painting to working with a Speedball crow quill pen.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to sacrifice accuracy just to have the coolness of the touch interface. That said, I have already bought a license of Windows 8, just to be on the safe side (when it on a special offer for 20 bucks). Who knows what the next generation of small computers will actually be?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 19, 2013 at 6:45:29 pm

I agree - beyond the new Start Screen touch gets less useful - I've been spending most of my days lately living in Photoshop and can't imagine using my fingertip for critical work. I still think it's a bitchen ultrabook and I want one... now!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 20, 2013 at 12:02:54 am

I think it was at the "Back to the Mac" event from a few years ago when they intro'd the 2nd generation MacBookAirs. Steve Jobs stated implicitly that they'd done tones of testing on this and just found that ergonomically, touch screens on desktops and laptops didn't make any sense.

And while Apple has been known to downplay something then adding it later (video on iPods), here I think they're correct in their assessment- and I'd be very surprised to see a touchscreen Mac anytime soon.

The ONLY configuration I can see it working is in a "Drafing table" style iMac. But again the OS just isn't set up for broad touch input.

In a drafting-table style configuration with a iOS style UI, I can see it- otherwise... nope. It's just a gimmick.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:17:58 pm

[Marcus Moore] "And while Apple has been known to downplay something then adding it later (video on iPods), here I think they're correct in their assessment- and I'd be very surprised to see a touchscreen Mac anytime soon."

Frankly, I'd be surprised if we don't see a touchscreen Mac is this next update cycle. Why else are they "iOS"-ifying OSX?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 23, 2013 at 1:54:01 am

The iOS'ificaion of OSX has been largely overblown in my estimation. It's basically about sharing good ideas in both direction, and creating a more cohesive identity between the two. iOS has basically brought the appStore (which has been in many cases a great success), and Launchpad (which you can choose to ignore), and option for tighter security restrictions (which again you can choose to ignore). Beyond that it's making sure the same apps have the same names across both platforms. Nothing that's ever worried me.

Microsoft seems to be on a faster path to UI convergence than Apple- unless they back right off their Windows8 initiative.

As for gestures, in that same presentation was when they launched the multitouch trackpad, and shortly after the magic trackpad. That seems to be their solution to touch on the Mac side for now.

Until it becomes a complete commodity feature to add touch to a screen, I don't see it. And even then, I don't see Apple adding it until it makes sense- and it doesn't make sense with the UI of OSX.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 22, 2013 at 8:15:15 pm

Based on not one but two very bad experiences with Toshiba laptops and Toshiba's support it would be very hard for me to buy anything with that name on it even it it came with a lifetime complimentary membership (initiation fee included) in American Cinema Editors.

Tim

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 23, 2013 at 5:20:30 am

I have a non-touch Toshiba ultrabook now and love it - zero problems. One of the Adobe Product Managers at NAB has the same model as mine - loves it and is running Premiere on it and cutting HD...

I've had lemons from all the major brands including Apple and HP - sucked...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]