FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere CS6 perfomance lacks behind on MBP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
Premiere CS6 perfomance lacks behind on MBP
on Apr 18, 2013 at 9:51:43 pm

I really hope Adobe has optimized CS7 for mobile computing. I'm on my MBP i7 with 8Gb Ram, MacOS 10.7.5 - and put together identical edits with H264 material from Panasonic AF101 on both FCPX 10.08 and Premiere CS6.04. Premiere stutters and looses frames, even at half res, and with no effects. FCPX just plays through it all, and I can apply numerous effects without loosing performance.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
Re: Premiere CS6 perfomance lacks behind on MBP
on Apr 18, 2013 at 10:24:22 pm

Well, of course I can't say for sure, but I can't Imagine Adobe would let an entire upgrade cycle go by WITHOUT improving on the Mercury Engine... :)

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 18, 2013 at 11:23:57 pm

can't say i've had that experience - works fine on a 2 year old MacBook Pro - and it ROCKS on my MBP Retina.....but then everything rocks on that machine - even FCP7

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 18, 2013 at 11:43:01 pm

You're also aware that FCP dumbs down the preview rez?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 19, 2013 at 12:10:17 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "You're also aware that FCP dumbs down the preview rez?"

Not sure if you're talking about X, but if so, then I think that's a pretty big oversimplification.

X uses what I've come to think of as a "tier'd" preview strategy.

On import, it creates and uses quick thumbnails in order to get you working fast. Then as the engine crunches them into higher rez versions it substitutes those dynamically throughout the interface. So you can be working with low rez thumbnails one second, then suddently, you're working with higher rez proxys or even your full size files.

The metadata construction means everything is just a pointer to a fundamental asset, so switching pointers is simple and seamless for the software to accomplish behind the scenes.

So yeah, it "dumbs down the preview rez" for as long as your computer needs that to let you be productive, fast - but the software is also smart enough to know when it has a better source available and can link to that for higher quality screen representations automatically.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:29:25 am

We're talking about native playback of h264 aren't we? Not thumbnails. X only plays back a lesser version if it is set to better performance.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:58:24 am

Just out of curiosity are you running Premiere with GPU acceleration set to 'on' - I would guess it's OpenCL as it's a MacBook with an ATI card, correct?

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Apr 19, 2013 at 7:56:30 am

Enabling GPU in Premiere does not make any difference (CS6.02). I have the beefed up MBP with maximum 512 Mb VideoRam.

Sorry to say, I am not impressed with Premiere Pro. If the application cannot playback a simple stream of H264 on a powerful machine, I would suggest it is not optimized properly for Mac.

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 19, 2013 at 8:42:34 am

[Morten Ranmar] "Sorry to say, I am not impressed with Premiere Pro. If the application cannot playback a simple stream of H264 on a powerful machine, I would suggest it is not optimized properly for Mac."

Hmmm, something must be off with your set-up. I'm able to play 4K RED at 1/16 resolution on a late 2008 Macbook Pro without breaking a sweat. H264 cuts like butter.

One thought -

Are your h264 files wrapped as QuickTime .mov files? If so, try importing the raw h264 streams.

I recently ran into difficulty with some AVCHD footage from a Panasonic HMC40. Mountain Lion wants to wrap them in QuickTime during import. These AVCHD QuickTime .mov files were unplayable in Premiere. They'd drop frames, and freeze.

So I tried importing the raw AVCHD streams directly from a clone of the card. Premiere had no trouble with the raw streams at all. They play perfectly smooth.

If your files are wrapped in QuickTime, that could be what's messing you up.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:25:14 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Enabling GPU in Premiere does not make any difference (CS6.02). I have the beefed up MBP with maximum 512 Mb VideoRam.

Sorry to say, I am not impressed with Premiere Pro. If the application cannot playback a simple stream of H264 on a powerful machine, I would suggest it is not optimized properly for Mac."

Well, sorry to say your "powerful machine" does not have the required amount of video ram to run with GPU acceleration. The specs for PrPro are 1GB - you have 512MB. You may want to always first check the operator before placing blame elsewhere.

David

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:59:18 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Enabling GPU in Premiere does not make any difference (CS6.02). I have the beefed up MBP with maximum 512 Mb VideoRam."

How are you enabling the GPU in Premiere when you don't have a supported GPU? You shouldn't even have that option to begin with.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 19, 2013 at 7:08:59 am

Add your 1gb or more videocard to the supported gpu list for mercury playback.
This also will be a feature in next version.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:58:23 pm

[Paul Jay] "Add your 1gb or more videocard to the supported gpu list for mercury playback.
This also will be a feature in next version."

Except he has a 512MB GPU, so there's nothing to be done.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:09:07 pm

When CS6 came out there was no more than 512 Vram available - so obviously Adobe did not feel the need for Mobile Mac users to have a very good experience...

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:23:00 pm

I do believe it's the purchaser's responsibility to read the specs before buying the software...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:45:32 pm

My March 2011 15" Macbook Pro came with 1gb of RAM. Well before CS6 was released. I put 16 gb of RAM in it and it runs just great.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:55:22 pm

[Paul Neumann] "My March 2011 15" Macbook Pro came with 1gb of RAM. Well before CS6 was released. I put 16 gb of RAM in it and it runs just great."

My March 2011 17" MacBook Pro also came with 1GB...I knew beforehand that the Mercury Playback Engine required 1GB of RAM on the GPU, so I made sure to purchase the one that had that, even though, at the time, OpenCL was not supported.

You're probably also referring to the 2010 MacBook Pro with the NVIDIA 320M (I believe it was) that came with 512MB...so even though you may have "beefed up" your MBP, it's still 3 years old now, and with a dual-core i7 to boot (2011 and up is quad core i7).

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Apr 19, 2013 at 8:14:59 pm

My MBP is the late 2011 top model with Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB. This card was not offered with 1Gb VRam, and was at sale at the same time as CS6 came out.

But let go of the technical discussion. My concern is that Premiere will not give me same performance as FCPX on a relatively new machine.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:06:20 pm

My late 2008 MBP also does pretty well. No trouble with multiple streams of h.264 or 720 or 1080 prores. Sadly not the same for my early 2008 MacPro.

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:34:27 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Sadly not the same for my early 2008 MacPro."

Mine works very nicely with PPro6

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:46:54 pm

[Steve Connor] "Mine works very nicely with PPro6"

I'd still like to hear from the OP about what kind of h264 files he's trying to cut. My money's on QuickTime as the culprit in his problems.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 19, 2013 at 10:02:18 pm

Well, it's not been too long so I have to consider that fact that I might be doing something wrong.

Tim

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Apr 20, 2013 at 12:51:43 am

Hi Morton

I know you didn't want to get bogged down in the tech discussion (don't blame you) but Just to clear up the tech confusion although you describe your machine as the "beefed up top model" it was not quite. The late 2011 MBP's included a i7 2.4 gig and 2.5 gig model which had the 6770M card fitted which does have 1GB video ram. This was in both 15" and 17" versions.
Yours must be the late 2011 2.2 gig version which was the only one fitted with the 6750M card which indeed is 512gig as you describe.
That may be why yours is perhaps a little slower in that regard

You can check out all the specs here if thats your kind of thing

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7...

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 20, 2013 at 2:44:49 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "But let go of the technical discussion. My concern is that Premiere will not give me same performance as FCPX on a relatively new machine."

My problem is that you stated:

Enabling GPU in Premiere does not make any difference (CS6.02). I have the beefed up MBP with maximum 512 Mb VideoRam.

Because you don't have a supported GPU (with 1GB of RAM) Premiere doesn't even give you that option.

So what did you do exactly that made you think you enabled the GPU in the first place? It may seem trivial, but it may be indicative of a lack of understanding of what your settings are, which could lead to poor performance.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 19, 2013 at 6:14:57 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "When CS6 came out there was no more than 512 Vram available - so obviously Adobe did not feel the need for Mobile Mac users to have a very good experience..."

Please see my post above. You don't need hardware acceleration to cut h264 and have a good experience with Premiere Pro. I'm doing just fine with a late-2008 MacBook Pro. My theory is you're having trouble with QuickTime.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:47:42 pm

Were you working with the native files there, or was background transcoding turned on?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 20, 2013 at 2:45:25 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "Were you working with the native files there, or was background transcoding turned on?"

Background transcoding in Premiere?

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 20, 2013 at 2:58:22 pm

[Gary Huff] "[Kevin Monahan] "Were you working with the native files there, or was background transcoding turned on?"

Background transcoding in Premiere?"

Kevin meant background transcoding to Prores in FCPX. If so, and Morten didn't realize it, he could have thought that FCPX was playing the native AVCHD files considerably smoother than PrPro when in fact it was playing the Prores intermediates.

David

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Apr 20, 2013 at 1:07:40 pm

I will try to ingest directly in Premiere and let you know if it works better...

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Premiere CS6 perfomance lacks behind on MBP - SOLVED
on Apr 21, 2013 at 1:18:56 pm

David you were right. The problem must have been related to using media that was previously imported in FCPX. When I import directly in Premiere, I get smooth playback, even at Full quality.

But regarding the GPU questioning, the program does opt me to choose Mercury GPU acceleration in Project settings, even though my GPU apparently is not supported.

The question for me was not wether I have GPU acceleration or not, but the ability to edit a single stream of AVCHD with approximately the same performance, including a color grade. And yes I can.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Apr 21, 2013 at 4:35:30 pm

BTW - I was not transcoding the clips in FCPX, but working natively. Experienced an error on output, where a covering clip had moved one frame, and exposed an error - reexported, and the error disappeared...?!!

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:06:00 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "But regarding the GPU questioning, the program does opt me to choose Mercury GPU acceleration in Project settings, even though my GPU apparently is not supported."

512MB of RAM does not meet the minimum requirements for GPU acceleration. You really need 1GB of RAM (maybe 768MB) to get any kind of performance boost. Internally, we could flag it to truly turn it on and our testing showed that it didn't give you boost. If you've done the 'hack', then you can probably light it up but you just won't really see any performance improvement.

I tend to think that Apple goes light on GPU RAM because in most use cases it doesn't need it and the RAM takes up space in a tight enclosure and creates heat which makes the design form a problem. I could be very wrong though - that's just my personal opinion.

Hope this helps,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]