FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reading the chicken guts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Owens
Reading the chicken guts
on Apr 18, 2013 at 7:16:09 pm

For those who take stock in this sort of thing -- that is stock prices -- and how AVID must be going down if its stock is suffering... then what of Apple?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/inside-the-market/market-view...

A new MacPro is not likely going to fire the imaginations of the gadget-frenzied, and so... really, what possibly could? No matter what our community does or says, we are not their customers. Those billions of dollars in sales are not coming from me, that's for sure. Is Cupertino going to take a RiMming? Interesting that Microsoft is mentioned in this report, looked on as a better value under some qualifications, even though they are looked on as producing things that are not more exciting than blocks of solid metal. Losing half its stock price is not trivial -- and the prognosis is that there is more (devaluation) to come.

Who said that whom the gods would destroy they first make great?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Reading the chicken guts
on Apr 18, 2013 at 7:41:07 pm

Yep, the end is near for Apple

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 18, 2013 at 7:41:11 pm

Apple's stock may have been seriously overvalued. Their sales isn't hurting. Their profitability isn't hurting. On the computer side everything is declining but Apple is declining less.
On the smartphone side their profits continue to be healthy Keep in mind it's profit/revenue, not market share that counts.
On the tablet side Apple's profits are still healthy as well.
People are suspicious about the decline in parts orders though.

Avid's revenues are dropping. That's a different story.

Dell is going private because the "stock game" actually impedes their ability to make the moves to right that problematic ship.

Stocks really don't tell the whole story. They're more about market confidence and speculation rather than just revenue and profit.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 18, 2013 at 7:47:17 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Apple's stock may have been seriously overvalued."

Yes.

[Craig Seeman] "Their sales isn't hurting. Their profitability isn't hurting. On the computer side everything is declining but Apple is declining less."

Apple just earned more profits on computers than the five biggest PC vendors combined, and narrowly missed out-profiting the entire rest of the industry:

http://www.asymco.com/2013/04/16/escaping-pcs/

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 18, 2013 at 7:50:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Apple just earned more profits on computers than the five biggest PC vendors combined, and narrowly missed out-profiting the entire rest of the industry:"

Oh but Apple doesn't care about computers at all. They're a phone maker, Haven't you heard?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 18, 2013 at 7:54:13 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Oh but Apple doesn't care about computers at all. They're a phone maker, Haven't you heard?"

I've never said they don't care about computers. I'm sure they love selling MacBooks and iMacs!

More than anything, I think this shows that Apple is the only company in the industry that can maintain a reasonable margin.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:05:12 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I've never said they don't care about computers"

But there's scores who insist exactly that.

[Walter Soyka] "More than anything, I think this shows that Apple is the only company in the industry that can maintain a reasonable margin."

They're doing an excellent job diversifying. The greater the diversity the greater than can sustain some risk in new product development.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 18, 2013 at 10:47:42 pm

I guess we cold go back o the pre intel days where all they made were computers and those computers were slow compared to their PC counterparts.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 18, 2013 at 11:57:15 pm

[Bret Williams] "I guess we cold go back o the pre intel days where all they made were computers and those computers were slow compared to their PC counterparts."

Funny, that made me think of the old Apple "Snail" commercial. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 18, 2013 at 7:53:31 pm

Apple should divorce itself from the stock market as well. I don't see what good it does them.

They get beaten up on rumours which get published because anti-Apple articles bring in page hits.

They get beaten up not because they're not profitable, but because they miss profit targets from idiots who not only have no idea what they're doing, but also potentially profit from Apple stock drops.

Apple's stock goes down on record profits, but Amazon's go up when they loose money. I think the stock market is as divorced from reality as Hollywood gossip is.

I wish I could be in as much "trouble" as Apple is.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 18, 2013 at 10:53:02 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Apple should divorce itself from the stock market as well."

Interesting but this has come up in some business circles.
Here's on article on the problems involved with that.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/04/17/taking_apple_private_makes_s...

and John Gruber's post on that.
http://daringfireball.net

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 18, 2013 at 11:27:04 pm

Just because I noticed the relatively modest size compared to Blackmagic, AJA, Adobe, Avid, et al booths - here's a show floor shot of the Microsoft presence at NAB 2013.

Big data?

Interesting.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 19, 2013 at 12:27:39 am

[Bill Davis] "Just because I noticed the relatively modest size compared to Blackmagic, AJA, Adobe, Avid, et al booths - here's a show floor shot of the Microsoft presence at NAB 2013.

Big data?"

Big data is kind of a marketing term. It's all about sorting, organizing, managing and extracting meaningful information from the increasing amount of data being generated by internet (cloud) connected users. Microsoft and it's partners have industry specific solutions for dealing with "Big Data"... mostly built around custom applications, Windows Azure and SQL Server. MS actually has a pretty big footprint in enterprise class media (streaming, hosting, applications). The real traffic at their booth was probably in the private meeting rooms. :-)

Come to think of it... Accenture usually has a booth of that size at NAB too.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:22:21 am

[Joseph Owens] "A new MacPro is not likely going to fire the imaginations of the gadget-frenzied, and so... really, what possibly could?"

A screen between 3.5" and 3.9987". It's never been done before. It will astound and amaze.

The Apple stock price is the biggest (legal) racket we have seen thus far.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]