FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bother with PP CS6 or wait for CS7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Bother with PP CS6 or wait for CS7
on Apr 16, 2013 at 11:57:16 pm

Just curious if the changes were radical enough that I should just wait until 7 comes instead of unlearning and relearning everything. Or is it mostly added features?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Bother with PP CS6 or wait for CS7
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:06:49 am

If you are familiar with 6, 7 isn't going to need you to relearn.

You will only need to pick up the new features, and there's a lot of them, some if them are pretty significant.

If you are deciding to learn Pr, learning 6 is a fine place to start.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:10:36 am

The question is really if you want to start a Creative Cloud Membership now or later. If you start a Creative Cloud membership now, you will get CS6. When the next version of the products become available, you will automatically have access to the new versions. It's hard to lose either way.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:37:03 am

So I see, the creative cloud the only way to start with cs7?

Richard

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:44:59 am

[Dennis Radeke] "The question is really if you want to start a Creative Cloud Membership now or later. If you start a Creative Cloud membership now, you will get CS6. When the next version of the products become available, you will automatically have access to the new versions. It's hard to lose either way.
"

Dennis, if I take the 29.99 a month upgrade offer to get Cloud, does that mean I no longer have a stand-alone copy of CS 6? Or do I have a Cloud membership AND my old copy of CS 6? Also, if I take the upgrade, does that mean I will be ineligible to upgrade to a stand-alone CS 7, when (or should I say if?) such a thing is released?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 17, 2013 at 12:09:26 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Dennis, if I take the 29.99 a month upgrade offer to get Cloud, does that mean I no longer have a stand-alone copy of CS 6? Or do I have a Cloud membership AND my old copy of CS 6? Also, if I take the upgrade, does that mean I will be ineligible to upgrade to a stand-alone CS 7, when (or should I say if?) such a thing is released?"

Chris, if you have an existing 'box' copy of CS6, that is still yours. If you started a creative cloud membership today, you would have access to CS6 apps and when the next version comes about, you would immediately have access to it. If your membership lapsed or you decided to stop, you would still have CS6 with you.

As for upgrade eligibility and your other implied questions, I would defer until we actually have a product shipping. It should become clear at that time. At least I hope it will! ;-)

Dennis

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 18, 2013 at 2:25:49 am

Thanks for the clarification, Dennis.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:54:02 am

Dennis,

I'm based in Mumbai, India and I have to say, I'm really disappointed with Adobe's approach to Creative Cloud here. First off, all that's available is Creative Cloud for Teams, not the individual subscription model, and second, there is no monthly subscription model - we have to shell out upfront for an annual subscription.

You guys have been around this part of the world long enough to know that this model is not going to work. So why is this the only option on the plate?

Sandeep Sajeev.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 17, 2013 at 12:10:52 pm

Sandeep,

I have forwarded this over to some of my cohorts in your geography. I candidly don't know the first thing about what goes on in India and will take what you say at face value. I have asked for one of them to chime in and reply. Thanks for bringing this issue up.

Best,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Nathan Adam
on Apr 20, 2013 at 1:21:05 pm

Candidly, I seek out replies from Dennis in these threads for insight on how to be simultaneously 1) helpful 2) even handed and 3) gregarious, while still being forthright about the constraints he has to work within as part of a large company. Good on ya.

Return to posts index

Guru Vaidya
on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:41:44 am

Hi Sandeep,
The individual subscription model is coming soon to India. I would encourage you to follow AdobeIndia on twitter & facebook so as to be abreast of our offerings in the future.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:10:17 am

[David Powell] Just curious if the changes were radical enough that I should just wait until 7

A lot of the changes aren't really "radical", but they are things that will save time and lead to a better experience overall. Some of them seemed insignificant to me at first, but after giving them more thought I started to wish I had them now. Like adjusting the audio level of a clip with the keyboard- I liked this idea when I first read about it, but didn't see it as a "must have" item until I realized that it was going to save me from making a trip over to the track header to expand the track so I could see the waveform better. Now it can't get here soon enough... ;)

There are also other things that are much more significant. The media re-linking is much improved, and if you're planning on collaborating with others on a project where you're all editing different sections of it, and then plan on combining them into one project at the end, and there are sequences being passed back and forth a lot, I can't stress enough how much better and cleaner your workflow in CS7 is going to be, since it doesn't duplicate the master clips that are already in your project any more...

If you want to take a look at CS6 while you wait for the next version, you can download it as a 30 day free trial either by itself or as part of Creative Cloud:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_pro

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 17, 2013 at 6:17:27 am

Good advice - get the trial and play around but otherwise I'd wait to start your membership when the new version is available. There are some significant changes that will have to be learned in the new suite.

The only reason to upgrade sooner would be to take advantage of the $29 mo. upgrade special - not sure of the cut-off. Obviously if you have an upcoming gig and want to try out CS6 go for it...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 17, 2013 at 7:25:19 am

[Lance Bachelder] "The only reason to upgrade sooner would be to take advantage of the $29 mo. upgrade special - not sure of the cut-off. "

It's like in 3 days--the 19th, I think.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2013 at 12:01:53 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "There are some significant changes that will have to be learned in the new suite."

From what I have seen in the press goodies, there are certainly a bunch of changes, but what you learn in cs6 won't go to waste.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 17, 2013 at 12:42:57 pm

thats basically true - just don't spend too much time trying to patch tracks - that mess from 6 is totally gone.

Well worth getting into the general swing of the media browser, footage settings, clip properties, keyframing, favoured layout, all the general punch the cushions stuff.

For instance - its not immediately apparent where the clip onscreen transform controls are - you activate them with a wee toggle in the clip effect properties - stuff like that.

But if you're buying the suite - if you still can -wait for 7.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:47:21 pm

A good question. Why bother with PP CS6 or wait for CS7?

I think that Adobes Creative Cloud business model is preposterous. Do you really want to continue giving a company, however great, a monthly sum for the rest of your working life?

And if you stop paying have absolutely nothing to show for it, no means of reviewing, ammending or updating your work?

( a bit like trying to leave your iTunes library to your kids when you die! )

From all accounts the software is great but the business model for the consumer is not, it's all slated in favour of the producer/ manufacturer.

With Final Cut Studio you paid a decent professional fee for the suite of software, received maintenance updates, and then if you chose paid for the next significant upgrade. With FCPX, I bought it 2 years ago for £200 and have received 8 upgrades since then. This seems like a great deal, OK so using the software ties me into using Apple computers, but I'd choose to use them anyway.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:13:39 pm

Anyone who owns the existing license for CS6 or earlier still has a license, and will still have a license when CSNext or whatever arrives. I've received dozens of updates to my CS6 Master Collection, and I'm very pleased with it, having been using Adobe products since the early 90s. I think it's a bit premature to throw stones at a business model which isn't yet fully realized. We'll either have something to yell about or not when it comes out...

I'm all for the perpetual license - I like to have the discs on my desk, just in case...but we can't cry foul until the ball has been thrown (another useless sports analogy).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:38:55 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I'm all for the perpetual license - I like to have the discs on my desk, just in case...but we can't cry foul until the ball has been thrown (another useless sports analogy)."

Undoubtably the software is top notch, and undoubtably Premiere Pro has become the default NLE for FCP7 users who want to carry on in the same paradigm, but surely with your discs on your desktop you will have no need for the Creative Cloud?, of setting up a perpetual standing order to Adobe, of needing to receive online accreditation every month, or is that the only way to get these new software versions or updates?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:48:45 pm

[Mark Dobson] "surely with your discs on your desktop you will have no need for the Creative Cloud?, of setting up a perpetual standing order to Adobe, of needing to receive online accreditation every month, or is that the only way to get these new software versions or updates?"

Adobe has stated, over and over, that version 7 will be available with a perpetual license. If Apple is to be believed about the upcoming Mac Pro, then Adobe should be believed about that.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:53:02 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Adobe has stated, over and over, that version 7 will be available with a perpetual license"

Problem is that they have stopped stating it!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:11:32 pm

[Steve Connor] "Problem is that they have stopped stating it!"

Since they stated it last week, I don't quite see the need for them to re-state it this week. When was the last time Apple stated they were coming out with a new MacPro? If it was yesterday I didn't see it, but I gather we're still to believe Cook's remarks from a year ago as gospel.

It seems to me the big question with Adobe is if they are going to continue perpetual team licenses, which is not the same thing, and quite frankly of no interest to me.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:23:11 pm

they took that back - if you mean the statement to Tom? That was rescinded.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:15:07 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] " That was rescinded."

Which statement was rescinded?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:22:35 pm

The statement to Tom Daigon on the adobe forums. Another adobe rep came and said to basically dis-regard that.

that's the only statement from adobe that I know of.
I am going headless chicken here but I'm serious:
I want my perpetual license annual upgrade - I'm self employed and I've got enough direct debits and council tax, dsl, line rental, stuff going on.

there is no way in hell my main toolset is going into that swamp - what if I want to change banks? (UK Gov are about to make that much easier)
What if I'm in the middle of a job, what if adobe customer rep gets it wrong when I go to update the details? Or the bank messes up the DD transfer?

The idea that my primary toolset is caught up in that potential web of crap is a non-starter.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:30:26 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "The idea that my primary toolset is caught up in that potential web of crap is a non-starter."

I'm totally in agreement. If the only way to get Adobe is through the Cloud, then I will look elsewhere.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:58:48 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Adobe has stated, over and over, that version 7 will be available with a perpetual license. If Apple is to be believed about the upcoming Mac Pro, then Adobe should be believed about that."

Oh Ok! That's reassuring because my business model is buy my equipment, computers, software outright, and recoup their cost within a given period and then make a profit through using them. Bigger companies might prefer to go down the leasing route.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]