FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?
on Apr 16, 2013 at 9:17:46 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Effects sets like BCC and Sapphire may be staples on big finishing systems like Smoke or DS"

Actually not. These are used extensively by Media Composer editors among other. I would consider that mid-tier. But your basic point is still correct.

[Walter Soyka] "With Resolve Lite 10 being free, the number of seats of OFX-capable software will skyrocket, but how many of those new users are really potential customers for BorisFX or GenArts?"

Lots of potential with probably zero buyers. I don't hold a lot of stock in vast numbers of Resolve users. The only editors I know (not counting DITs) who have touched Resolve are those who already understood grading apps like Color. That's a small subset of all working editors.

[Walter Soyka] "I'm not convinced this is a case where a rising tide lifts all boats. I think that some of the effects we're discussing are simply niche products, and that niche is not growing nearly as fast as the market as a whole."

Completely agree. For better or worse the market has been devalued. If anything the high-end niche is struggling even more. I think a prime example is Smoke 2013. The Sparks (Autodesk plug-ins) developers had to make a strategic decision to reduce the cost of the plug-ins in order to play in that arena. These plug-ins have historically been tiered to the cost of the host. Sapphire was more for Flame or Pablo than Media Composer or After Effects. Now you've got a much lower priced host and those owners won't pay the Sparks prices that Flame owners had.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]