FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?
on Apr 16, 2013 at 6:53:24 pm

[Bret Williams] "And maybe I don't hang out with enough designers, but I always thought plug-ins were the cheat, and real designers used plug ins sparingly."

For me, plugins aren't about getting a specific look from footage. They're really about extending the feature set of the host application and bringing more creative options in reach.

Any designer worth his beret (I kid, I kid) wouldn't just slap a single instance of MB Looks on a clip, load up the first preset in the list, call it finished and ship it -- unless of course that actually best solved the design problem at hand.

Single-effect processing with presets usually isn't design. Creating new elements or combining elements in different ways can serve design needs, and that's where plugins come in.

In FCPX, SliceX makes new things doable in FCPX.

In Ae, generative effects like Trapcode Particular, Trapcode Form or Video Copilot Element 3D open up all kinds of new visual possibilities that would be impractical or impossible to achieve otherwise.

Even standard processing/filtering effects can be used very creatively in support of design, given enough control and layering. I don't think there's any honor in building your own visual from built-in effects if you could have done the same thing in a quarter of the time with a third-party plugin.

I use plugins extensively, because they extend creative options or speed up my workflow -- but I use the defaults settings and/or published presets sparingly, because they rarely fit a project's specific design needs.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]