FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Could Creative Cloud discourage plugin developers from embracing Premiere?
on Apr 16, 2013 at 3:21:57 pm

[Greg Andonian] "It seems to me people aren't going to want to spend a lot of money on plugins for software that they're only renting. That's like doing major renovations on an apartment, if you think about it..."

Personally, the plugin sets I use actually cost multiples of the price of the host apps. I spend money on plugins to save myself time, the benefit of which I can pass on to my clients as lower prices (spend less time on the job) or higher quality (use the saved time to iterate and improve elsewhere).

See a recent post of mine on the Ae forum [link] where I described three ways to accomplish a specific effect.

Option 1: use the expensive plugin that does exactly what you want out of the box, no muss, no fuss.

Option 2: use a cheaper plugin that doesn't do exactly what you want out of the box, but can be made to do exactly what you want with a little time and effort.

Option 3: use standard effects that don't do exactly what you want out of the box, but can be made to do exactly what you want with a lot of time and effort.

I don't think that a low cost barrier to entry means you can't sell expensive plugins on a platform. I do think that anyone who bought into a platform solely because it was inexpensive is simply not a candidate for a high-end, high-cost plugin.

In other words, while a low-cost host app may itself sell more copies, that doesn't automatically mean an increased market for advanced plugins for that host app.

Also, and again speaking only for myself, I think of Creative Cloud as a different way to pay for the upgrades I'd be buying anyway. I envision continuing to use Adobe applications after the end of the month or the end of the year, and I'd plan on continuing to subscribe just as I'd plan on buying Creative Suite upgrades.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]