FORUMS: list search recent posts

End of FCPX discussion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clay Coleman
End of FCPX discussion
on Apr 14, 2013 at 10:47:29 am

Blackmagic Design is imho currently the leading company in the world. Check this review of DaVinci Resolve 10 (english starts after the intro).

Being able to edit, composite, add fx, grade and then play out to just about anything including dcp is the biggest game-changer to come along since this whole digital film revolution thing started. The fact that DaVinci Resolve 10 is free is beyond awesome.

Congratulations to the BMD team for a fabulous product.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: End of FCPX discussion
on Apr 14, 2013 at 12:35:26 pm

I have a hard time seeing Resolve replace an editor but it does seem very interesting as an online-tool in conjunction with for example After Effects like a lot of FCP / Premier people use it.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Apr 14, 2013 at 12:47:39 pm

Looks like FCPX with fixed tracks:-) but at the moment I prefer the magnetic timeline:-))

I doubt it has as many editing features as dedicated NLE. For Editors who don't do much or any serious color grading it probably won't be the the right tool at the moment.

I would be cool if Resolve developed into something like Smoke. Then Blackmagic should come up with their version of a Pro Desktop PC, capable of running FCPX, Avid and Premiere.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 14, 2013 at 1:10:19 pm

I love Resolve and all it can do, and this is a natural progression for it to go in to reduce the number of steps and such with round-tripping for color correction only. But it is very early on to call it an editor and Erik nailed it with being a conform editing system which is the same way I use smoke today. Depending on the program type, this may or may not fit the needs of the program itself - but it is a great first step in that direction.

Michael

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Apr 14, 2013 at 2:15:08 pm

What i heard and read (was not at NAB) they stressed this is NOT an NLE! They are a finishing tool, digging more into the SMOKE market than into NLEs.
You edit in FCPX (or whatever) and finish in R10 with Grade and Titles. It will allow you to tweak the edit, but it won´t have the database like FCPX to handle tons of footage.
Maybe wellscripted and shot ads can be done.....but I doubt you would like to edit a documentary on it. Especially once you got rid of tracks, who would EVER want tracks again?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 14, 2013 at 2:59:54 pm

[alban egger] "You edit in FCPX (or whatever) and finish in R10 with Grade and Titles. It will allow you to tweak the edit, but it won´t have the database like FCPX to handle tons of footage."

If it saves me one xml trip back to an NLE when yet another client doesn't understand what "picture lock" actually means, then I'm looking forward to it

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 14, 2013 at 4:08:17 pm

Exactly. And from what Blackmagic says, that change can go back to the FCPX edit, so you still have offline continuity.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 15, 2013 at 1:46:06 am

After looking at all the press photos and videos of 10 - it's crazy how much it looks like FCPX - it really resembles the FCPX most of us would have preferred as far as having tracks and even the FCP legacy drag and drop into record window etc.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 15, 2013 at 12:48:15 pm

Resolve 10 is certainly an NLE - just that it is an "online" editor, meaning a finishing tool. The issue there is the lack of effects, compositing and transitions capabilities. For it to work as such a tool, the sequence has to be pretty plain vanilla. Cuts, dissolves, speed changes and basic titles. If you added effects like some of the fancy motion template transitions, then you are still going to have to roundtrip back to X.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Apr 15, 2013 at 8:37:58 pm

I demo'd this quite extensively at NAB. It is in no way whatsoever meant to be a NLE replacement. Its there to fix mistakes in conform, do some basic onset playing around of ideas, and watermarked proxy generation. For those purposes its fully featured, to even remotely compare it to any tool on down to iMovie is just incorrect.

Director, Editor, Colorist
http://www.trsociety.com

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Apr 16, 2013 at 4:42:02 pm

An yet this is something different. And despite the fact that it is not intended as an NLE, in this forum anything that is different than FCPX is better than FCPX. That is the basic thought process of some folks in this forum.

Lance

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 16, 2013 at 4:46:20 pm

Maybe in this forum, but not in this thread. I just notice that in any forum, a free software solution is always better whether or not it meets one's needs or not.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Apr 20, 2013 at 5:33:51 am

(apprehensive)"It's not a magnetic timeline?"
(calming) "no no no...heheheheh...(reassuring) and this is linking or unlinking audio, so if you want you can move the clips independently from the audio as well.."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]