FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and dealing with "time" is driving me nuts!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Lindahl
FCPX and dealing with "time" is driving me nuts!
on Apr 13, 2013 at 4:31:34 pm

I would love to hear how people deal with "time" in FCPX. It's completely driving me nuts not knowing how long clips are, where in a given clip I am, the relation of timecode in sequence A vs multicam sequence B. It seems impossible setting custom timecode to a lot of elements, markers added to clips in the event viewer that reside in a multicam sequence aren't transfered "downstream".

All in all... How do people deal with this? It's driving me completely nuts. I do like some aspects of the app for sure but the above just doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: FCPX and dealing with "time" is driving me nuts!
on Apr 13, 2013 at 5:18:42 pm

Project Clip duration is always displayed in the upper-Right of the Inspector, in both the Video and Info tabs. You an also get find out how long any clip is by clicking CTRL-D.

Sequence TC is displayed in the dashboard, and if you have Clip Skimming enabled, each clip's original TC is displayed in the same spot.

In Legacy FCP, you needed to double click on a clip to open it in the preview window and see which part of the clip you were using. In FCPX, "Reveal in Event Browser" [SHIFT-F] fills the same function.

But just like everyone else I'd like to see an expanded TC display. Probably as a HUD you can keep wherever you like.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 13, 2013 at 5:22:59 pm

[Marcus Moore] "But just like everyone else I'd like to see an expanded TC display. Probably as a HUD you can keep wherever you like."

Dumb question, but have you sent feedback to Apple requesting this? I think in many cases they prioritize added features based on the number of requests they get. Unless the requests are to bring back fixed tracks. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 13, 2013 at 5:33:01 pm

I haven't, since I figure it's tied into the larger issue of tracks to a certain extent.

In Legacy FCP, TC's in the Program window were labeled by track. Since those Identifiers are gone now, I don't see an easy way to display that information again until we see Roles better organized in the Program timeline.

This is all part of my unwieldy ROLES blog post that I've finish writing, but still need to generate some demo images for.

Though on the audio side, Resolve 10 looks remarkably like FCPX would with grouped Roles.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 13, 2013 at 7:12:27 pm

Marcus - thanks for the tip showing that clip duration is in the info panel! Silly as I've been staring at it for 2 years and never noticed it. This helps me a lot.

But, like you, I would really prefer to see that info on the TC display.

I have been requesting this from Apple and filling out lots of request forms. One thing I'd like back is the ability to select a TC or duration and copy paste it's value.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 13, 2013 at 8:09:04 pm

Someone else noted a while ago that there's a lot of dead space on either side of the Dashboard, perhaps we'll see more informational displays there in the future. But a HUD seems like the best choice, there when you need it, and gone when you don't- with configurable display options for what TCs you want to see.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2013 at 8:13:24 pm

One of my favorite and not oft talked about parts of fcpx is the little numbers below the timeline.

It constantly displays sequence duration, and when you select a clip or mark a range, it displays the range duration as well.

Very helpful, easy, and useful.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 13, 2013 at 8:22:29 pm

That's good to know. I didn't realize clip/range selection was shown down there. Handy when you won't want to keep the Inspector panel open all the time.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 13, 2013 at 8:18:33 pm

I've always felt, since 10.0, that a HUD could be a great, alternate use for the entire info panel. Great for effects, especially color. Hopefully with the ability to change the size as you need/want it. Doesn't motion have a HUD for effects settings?

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 13, 2013 at 8:21:19 pm

Yup. HUD is an integral part of of quick access to effects and layer properties.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 13, 2013 at 9:21:33 pm

[Michael Garber] "Doesn't motion have a HUD for effects settings?"

Yes. Always has. One of it's terrific features that everyone should emulate.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 14, 2013 at 6:59:24 am

Having one place to show the current TC of a clip and timeline isn't very practical. Especially not when FCPX seems to bug at time switching from event viewer to a project.

In a "classical" editing app you can easily have the sequence and source side-by-side showing exact frame matching as well as TC in, TC and TC on current frames. I guess this isn't something that's possible in FCPX?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 14, 2013 at 9:19:59 am

[Erik Lindahl] "Having one place to show the current TC of a clip and timeline isn't very practical. Especially not when FCPX seems to bug at time switching from event viewer to a project.

In a "classical" editing app you can easily have the sequence and source side-by-side showing exact frame matching as well as TC in, TC and TC on current frames. I guess this isn't something that's possible in FCPX?"

You'll get no argument from me on that. Add to it a lack of sync markers.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2013 at 10:17:44 am

[Erik Lindahl] " I guess this isn't something that's possible in FCPX?"

Unfortunately, no, and it surely needed.

In the event browser, there's an option called 'skimmer info' that displays TC.

Why this same skimmer info isn't present in the timeline is beyond me.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 14, 2013 at 10:34:45 am

If we had that skimmer option in the timeline things would be better. Still a mess but much better.

At the moment the lack of a source-viewer with mini-timeline with proper TC-readouts is really a pain in certain projects.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2013 at 10:13:33 am

Some plugins have a HUD. Red, for instance, has made their footage modifications for fcpx in a HUD. So even though it is limited, HUDs are somewhat possible in X.

I am 50/50 on HUDs. I think they are a design 'copout' at times, other times they could be examples of good design, and sometimes they are completely necessary to bring custom functionality and interfaces to a particular host. Floating windows aren't my favorite.

For readouts and display items, yes, but for direct manipulation of more tangible modification parameters? I'm not so sure. A good example is Autodesk Smoke. It takes getting used to, but once you grasp it, the interface becomes to feel like a cockpit where switches are placed in a fixed position and muscle memory takes you through navigation.

A HUD with its floating position, does not offer this kind of feedback and muscle memory.

SpeedGrade, with it's Widget tool, is another example of a great HUDless manipulation interface.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 14, 2013 at 10:32:36 am

I'd say a HUD is a good compliment to a fixed tool / function but is, in general, a terrible way of gathering tools and read-outs as their primary place to be. This since they don't have a fixed position on the screen and they by nature are an "overlay" on top of other tools or info.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 14, 2013 at 10:37:06 am

Having an on-screen HUD would be nice. Show details X and Y during playback, show details X, Y and Z when paused.

I understand Apples idea of going back to basics but it's actually more confusing now than NOT having all the TC-info everywhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]