FORUMS: list search recent posts

Paste Attributes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
Paste Attributes
on Apr 13, 2013 at 7:09:11 am

As a long-time Premiere Pro user, I never understood the huge brouhaha over Premiere's lack of an FCP-style Paste Attributes panel- because I've been achieving the same thing this panel does for a long time- just going about it differently.

You can copy one effect from one clip to another by going to the Effect Controls Panel and highlighting it, then copying, then highlight the clip you want to paste it to and paste. You can copy multiple effects the same way by holding down the control key and selecting them. Then copy them, highlight the destination clip or clips and paste, and VOILA- multiple attributes copied and pasted without having to paste everything first. This works for motion, opacity, audio, effects, everything- and it's been there for ages.

Of course, with the new way you don't have to switch to another panel if you have another one open, and using the keyboard will speed things up, but the Effects Control Panel method does do the trick- and if you're on Premiere and want something to hold you over until the new version gets here, this should help...

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Paste Attributes
on Apr 13, 2013 at 9:37:16 am

Can you paste the attributes on multiple clips at once? That's what I did in Legacy many years ago before I figured out that it had a Paste Effects Panel. It works faster that way, it was one of my very few big issues I had with FCPX 10.0.1, there was no way to copy effects, until 10.0.4, or use an adjustment layer.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 13, 2013 at 9:47:12 am

[Nikolas Bäurle] Can you paste the attributes on multiple clips at once?

Yes, you can.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 13, 2013 at 11:50:52 am

I used to do it this way in Legacy FCP as well before pass attributes came along, and that's the way I've always done it in AE.

CTRL C saves several steps vs having to go to the Effects Control panel, and then selecting all, or more tediously having to Option Select the specific effects you want to copy. Especially if you have lots of effects with the controls expanded.

Pasting effects was then a simple checkmark box of elements you wanted to paste to the selected clip or clips.

I give credit to FCPX for improving paste effects when they reintroduced it in 10.0.6. Adding more granularity to the panel (pasting specific effects vs just "effects"), as we'll as the option of either maintaining the timing of any keyframes in the copied clip, OR automatically retiming the keyframes to the duration of the new clips.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 13, 2013 at 1:29:40 pm

Still can't paste content. And that was the big one for me. I use that constantly in 7. But you can do it in Premiere or AE by option dragging a clip from the bin.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 13, 2013 at 3:09:08 pm

Yeah, I never use replace content, though I could imagine uses.

But it does work in FCPX like I think you're saying in Pr. Except its not a special command- just drag a clip from the Event browser on top of a timeline clip and you're presented with several Replace options (favour Event clip in point, out point, use Event clip's duration, or add to Audition).

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 13, 2013 at 4:39:16 pm

[Bret Williams] "But you can do it in Premiere or AE by option dragging a clip from the bin."

I used to use this all the time and was wondering if it was possible in Pr. Thanks!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 13, 2013 at 5:05:06 pm

Yeah, I never use replace content, though I could imagine uses.

But it does work in FCPX like I think you're saying in Pr. Except its not a special command- just drag a clip from the Event browser on top of a timeline clip and you're presented with several Replace options (favour Event clip in point, out point, use Event clip's duration, or add to Audition).

*EDITED TO ADD----

Thinking about it at they gym: are you saying that option-dragging a clip from a bin to the sequence replaces the clip content but maintains all it's effects and attributes? FCPX is just a straight replace as I described above. Though I guess it would be a simple 3 part process:

1. Command-C on a clip [to copy its Attributes]
2. Drag and replace clip in the timeline
3. Paste Attributes

Though it doesn't seem to me that dragging a clip from the Bins is fulfilling the same function as pasting clip content- since pasting Attributes is typically something you do from one sequence clip to another.

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Apr 13, 2013 at 10:17:49 pm

[Marcus Moore] "are you saying that option-dragging a clip from a bin to the sequence replaces the clip content but maintains all it's effects and attributes?"

Yep. That's exactly how it works. To me, it seems silly to have it any other way.

Also, I should mention that while Option will use the in-point of the incoming clip, holding option-shift and dragging the new clip in will use the in-point of the existing clip. Very useful trick, for example, replacing a scratch effect with a better version you just got sent. Option-Shift will swap the files and keep the in-out points from the old file. (you could also replace the old file in the Project Browser but I dislike doing that cause I've had weird stuff happen.)

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 13, 2013 at 11:15:48 pm

That's good stuff. Most of this seems to be covered in the "Replace" dialogue in FCPX when dragging clips from the Event browser. Except for Replace with effects/settings. But I would like to see that for sure.

To be clear, I think Replace and Paste Attributes are for entirely different use cases. Replace is for Event/Source clip to Timeline operations, while Paste Attributes is for Timeline to Timeline use cases.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2013 at 12:58:00 am

Copy, replace, and then paste attributes is a fine approach to the one step adobe, 2 legacy process, but the problem is the Keyframes just seem to land anywhere they please. I can't see why anyone would want the Keyframes anywhere but right where they were. Paste content, or option drag ensures that none of that changes and simply changes the media.

Sure you could relink to new media, but that would change every instance that you've used that media.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 14, 2013 at 1:23:50 am

I'm not sure how you're getting the results you do, but both the "Maintain Timing" and "Stretch to Fit" options work consistently for me as far as pasting keyframes is concerned.

But again I think we're at cross purposes. Replace is for when all you want to do is replace the media of one clip in the timeline. Paste Attributes has always been, for me, about copying setting/effects from one timeline clip to one/several others.

I would love to get that Option-drag function in X, for all the reasons you use it. But that's not what I use Paste Attributes for. Though in my everyday workflow, I'm primarily using Replace to switch out evolving Graphics elements. For that, X's replace works just fine.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 13, 2013 at 11:55:58 pm

[John-Michael Seng-Wheeler] "Also, I should mention that while Option will use the in-point of the incoming clip, holding option-shift and dragging the new clip in will use the in-point of the existing clip. Very useful trick, for example, replacing a scratch effect with a better version you just got sent. Option-Shift will swap the files and keep the in-out points from the old file."

Just tried it and works perfectly! Super useful when working with animatic stills or title cards. So great to still be able to do this. Thank you!!!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 13, 2013 at 3:25:47 pm

Wow -

We could do that back in Edit*. Not being snide or anything...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Apr 13, 2013 at 6:12:35 pm

You can also select multiple effects and right click to save them ALL as a single preset. I use this all the time mostly for Ultra Key/Scale/CCR scenarios where all the talent was shot on the same set on the same day sorta stuff. Big time saver and helps keep a consistent look. Literally get one shot keyed and corrected then save it off and apply it one time to a group of clips and everything is ready to go.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 14, 2013 at 5:58:45 pm

[Paul Neumann] "I use this all the time mostly for Ultra Key/Scale/CCR scenarios where all the talent was shot on the same set on the same day sorta stuff. Big time saver and helps keep a consistent look. Literally get one shot keyed and corrected then save it off and apply it one time to a group of clips and everything is ready to go."

FWIW, someone posted about doing this in X on a FB group. Very nice trick:

Here's another reason I love FCP X. To quickly colour grade interview clips in a 28 minute project, I did a basic grade of the first appearance then selected Command C to copy. In the Timeline Index, I selected all instances of the interview setup (Command click), then hit Shift Command V to paste attributes. The grade is applied to all selected clips. It's faster than looking for the clips in the timeline. Of course you could do the same for audio sweetening - EQ, compression.

The X TL index is something we don't talk about much here. I've been using it more lately and it's a real nice implementation.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 14, 2013 at 8:09:09 pm

During my FCPX Level 1 certification course at NAB, I came to the same conclusion about the timeline index.

In this scenario, the process is even simpler than described. Just use the search tool to find all instances of a specific clip or interview subject; then just Command-A all clips and then Paste Attributes.

A great expansion to this would be to have all clip metadata searchable in the timeline index filter tool- to search for clips in the Project with certain keywords, or shot on a certain camera, etc., etc...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 15, 2013 at 12:07:06 am

Selectively removing attributes from a bunch of clips is just as important to me as adding. Any tricks and tips for Pr for this? If I understand the release info, that is something that CS7 is addressing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]