FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X And The Future - fcproxuniversity

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Final Cut Pro X And The Future - fcproxuniversity
on Apr 12, 2013 at 7:39:11 pm

http://www.fcproxuniversity.com/FCPro_X_University/Extra_Credit/Entries/201...

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Final Cut Pro X And The Future - fcproxuniversity
on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:03:23 pm

er, this is the spear's tip PR push for Apple and FCPX? this guy?

Sure at least he's trying I suppose.

Still - I stand by this - that business man is feeling quite emotional about his business:

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:29:02 pm

Not much of a PR push beyond "stay the course" and everything is gonna be alright.

The odd thing is his other blog post was really an attack on Adobe's marketing.
Apple really has to get its own marketing house in order. If they're ridding on "FCPX will sell itself" that's not working all that well. Not that FCPX isn't selling but it's not being used all that much in the bigger facilities (with the deeper pockets).

I wish Apple showed as much passionate marketing for FCPX as he showed in his berating Adobe.

When I see this
• FCP X is being used by some major players, and by businesses in all categories, at all levels.
and
• Apple is working with major players in the film and broadcast industries developing FCP X into a power house.

Apple really has to name names beyond their "In Action" page.

and
• Anyone who doubts the abilities of FCP X, contact me, we’ll get the facts straight.
But a facility manager about to make a big financial decision really should be able to contact Apple and discuss viable workflows. That would be Public Relations needed by a professional.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:46:20 pm

But a facility manager about to make a big financial decision really should be able to contact Apple and discuss viable workflows. That would be Public Relations needed by a professional.

Totally agree. This silent approach was barely tolerable when there were actual resellers setting up systems, but now those guys have all shifted focus onto other tools as well and it's annoying as hell.

But this is a general problem through out the NLE corps. For instance after watching the Avid NAB demo Aindreas posted in the other thread, I went across to the Avid site for info on Interplay. All that's available is the most generic copy. If you want to know how to set it up, how much it costs, what is required etc you have to 'Contact' Avid.

Why? Why not have that information on the site? What is the point in showcasing a lame video with some guy from Fuse, a video that again is boiler plate and totally lacking in any specifics instead?

I was enthusiastic about Media Composer and Interplay when I got on the Avid site. But then after watching that Fuse video and the ridiculously terrible Media Composer promo video, I was just irritated.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:02:53 pm

[Craig Seeman] "The odd thing is his other blog post was really an attack on Adobe's marketing."

that - i thought was crazy - adobe are effectively state of the art at this point.

Gruber had a really good post on format native advertising:
http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2013/04/09/the-disruptive-potential-o...

the point is that while adobe may have a massive traditional ad spend, marketing, for want of a better word, is communication right?
and there is no one who communicates and responds like adobe do. there just isn't. not at their scale.

I asked a question - after the CS7 feature list came out - wondering on the phrasing of the project architecture and getting into other projects -
the shagging well Senior Engineering Manager for Adobe Premiere Pro responded for god's sake.

And what's better the answer was completely killer. We went nuts for it. Started throwing around futurama clips.
It's kind of a perfect - so called - marketing storm, the levels of communication are surreal, and the product is getting utterly savage.

And we're just the small beans like? - they are apparently knee deep on anywhere with scale companies all over - Hogarth in London I could personally reference.

there are also a bunch of guys at apple woking like madmen to get FCPX where they want it to be. it is a weakness on Apple's part that they do not see their participation in social user back and forth as a fundamental component to the success of the product.

They need only look at adobe for god's sake.
As much as apple would like it to be - It can't all be mystique and fancy ad copy. It feels a smidge last century?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:43:59 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "it is a weakness on Apple's part that they do not see their participation in social user back and forth as a fundamental component to the success of the product."

Last year, Apple participated in the Blackmagic Road Show. In addition to the stage show, they had a table so people could actually walk up and ask real questions. I don't know about events others might have attended but it was the last time I heard that Apple had someone publicly available to talk about FCPX.

I did hear there were Apple folk walking around talking to vendors and some attendees (I guess) but even that's a bit different than just sitting out in the open with an Apple ID being approachable. I thought that was going to be a new pattern for Apple. Apparently it wasn't.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 12, 2013 at 10:20:09 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Last year, Apple participated in the Blackmagic Road Show. "

I remember you saying that - and fair ball basically, but, in a way, the point does go to the intent to fundamentally market and communicate.

the senior engineer for adobe premiere probably has one or two things to do in his day right?
His presence popping up at these junctures, and I'm not saying its on the clock - seriously - watch al mooney describing getting to work with the coen brothers- these guys are effectively bleeding the product -

but this back and forth represents a company wide considered effort - they are at it toto. it feels like a truly effective process on their part.
the dividends are huge right? I'm almost surprised apple are not in a position to answer what is a very serious mix of honestly keen and marketing smarts.

Adobe are not lashing out at apple at all, they are running, like total mad men, with the ball.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:39:57 pm

"I’ll start by reassuring everyone that Apple is VERY dedicated to FCP X and its future. They are listening and being driven by users. So filling out that feedback form (in the Final Cut Pro menu inside the app) is very important!"

And here I thought it was common knowledge that Apple never listens to users but skates to where the puck will be, marches to the beat of thier own drum , takes the road less traveled by ... oh well.

"Apple is working with major players in the film and broadcast industries developing FCP X into a power house."

When I see both "major players" and "power house" in the same sentence that means it must be so.

"The goal is to develop a first class NLE that allows creatives to create, not get bogged down with technical issues, as it should be. Since there is no logical need to go into technical engineering details, you shouldn’t be forced to."

I'm an editor and my job is often technical, as it should be. I guess I'm not a "creative."

"More copies of FCP X have been sold in overwhelming numbers than FCP 7 in the same time period. Logically, this means that FCP X is in fact outselling Premier Pro or Media Composer."

Well now we have "logical" and "logically" in back to back paragraphs. However I would like to see the evidence this claim is based on -- any evidence at all relating to sales figures of any of the products mentioned. I guess asking for facts is not very logical.

"FCP X is being used by some major players, and by businesses in all categories, at all levels."

Now we're back to "major players." Does this mean Derek Jeter uses X?

"Anyone who doubts the abilities of FCP X, contact me, we’ll get the facts straight."

You'd have to have a fact before you can get it straight.

"Closed Captioning? I can use Mac Caption with FCP X’s ProRes or other format output for super accurate, super fast CC work to digital files in pretty much any QuickTime format. All you need to supply MC is the QT file from FCP X and an SCC formatted text file. It only takes minutes to assemble, tweak, and output. Be aware that the FCC laws state any educational institution publishing to the web must be CC’ed, and if you broadcast something with CC originally, any posting to the web has to carry the same CC’ing. So this is not only “cool”, but it is the law!"

In other words X does not do closed captioning.

"The commercial third party plugin world for FCP X is growing faster than for any other NLE on the market today. Why would that be, do you wonder?"

Could it be because it's the only new NLE on the market and all the others already have a mature market of plug-ins. Nah, must be something else.

"FCP X is powerful, it is here to stay, and it will be the dominant player 7 was. That is not a rumor, that is not the mindless ranting of a fanboy, that is not wishful thinking, that is the cold, hard fact, dear readers."

As a famous rabbit once said "what an ultra-maroon."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:16:51 pm

Mel Blanc never had to put "ultra" in front of anything... his immaculate delivery said everything that needed to be said and never had to rely on superlatives.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:25:05 pm

[Bill Davis] "Mel Blanc never had to put "ultra" in front of anything"

Bully for Bugs. 1952 Warner Brothers Looney Tunes theatrical cartoon. Directed by Chuck Jones and written by Michael Maltese.

"Bugs taunts Toro once again by calling him, among other things, an "imbecile" (which Bugs pronounces "im-BESS-il") and an "ultra maroon"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_for_Bugs

You can attack my credibility and call me all the names you like, but don't ever question my devotion to Looney Toons. Chuck Jones is one of my gods, and Mel Blanc is his oracle.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 13, 2013 at 12:50:47 am

[Herb Sevush] " Chuck Jones is one of my gods, and Mel Blanc is his oracle."

And, Doc--Bugs is their Prophet.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 13, 2013 at 2:31:25 am

And if you've never read Chuck Amuck, you're in for a real treat:

http://www.amazon.com/Chuck-Amuck-Times-Animated-Cartoonist/dp/0374526206

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:29:36 pm

well thats true. Blanc FTW.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:21:50 pm

[Herb Sevush] "As a famous rabbit once said "what an ultra-maroon.""

I was thinking of another word that begins with a C and ends with a T and it isn't 'carrot' but I've heard that ad hominems are never used on this forum. Still I appreciated the allusion to maroons and laughed out loud.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 12, 2013 at 10:11:33 pm

I will chime in on one part of this one:

FCP X is powerful, it is here to stay, and it will be the dominant player 7 was. That is not a rumor, that is not the mindless ranting of a fanboy, that is not wishful thinking, that is the cold, hard fact, dear readers.

No, it is a cold, hard opinion - and nothing more. To state otherwise would be 'ultra-maroonic'. ;-)

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 12, 2013 at 11:29:32 pm

OK - so the guy who is writing this owns a company which makes its' money selling classes on FCPX, right? What else is he going to do but try to make it look as if FCPX is going to rule the world, and Adobe is out to rule the world, but in a most evil way.

Anyone can take it for what it's worth - but I don't ask a barber if I need a haircut...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 13, 2013 at 4:48:36 am

Quoting:

Updates will be free and incremental every 3-4 months or so. This has always been the plan from the beginning. There will not be any one big, huge, overwhelming update at any time. What has been will continue to be.

This is a very interesting model, and I speculated that's what we might be seeing with FCP X. I wouldn't be surprised to see Adobe move to something more like this once they've got more of their users on Creative Cloud (there are already hints of it). This approach is certainly going to get features to market a lot sooner than waiting for the old 12-24 month release cycle to roll around, and it lets the direction of the product respond to market changes much faster.

But this also raises another interesting question about the way the market is evolving, and about the divergent needs of different market segments.

Right now, with most desktop apps, there are two development 'branches' at any time — one for the current release, to which bug fixes are applied, and a second for the next release, where major new features are added. Sometimes bug fixes are even provided for older major versions, even.

FCP X development seems like it's going to occur on one branch (at least as far as the external world is concerned; there might be other internal branches to deal with features that take more than one 3-4 month release cycle to implement). This means you're not going to be able to get bug fix updates without installing updates that bring new features and possibly changes in UI or other behavior. For most users, this is a great trade off for getting new functionality sooner. But some customers — I'm thinking here particularly of core Avid-type customers like major broadcasters — probably aren't going to be happy about this. Larger shops tend to value consistency and predictability above new functionality.

So, the adoption of this model makes FCP X less appealing to those customers. But then, if Avid doesn't adopt the same model, that will make Media Composer less appealing to other customers.

Of course, with enough resources you could do both of these things. You could push out new releases containing both features and bug fixes every 3-4 months, and also, every 12-24 months or whatever, ship a particular release that you designated as one you would support with fix-only updates for two or three years. But Avid probably won't do this, because they're looking to cut costs to return to reliable profitability, and Apple probably won't do this, because Apple in general has little tolerance for investing resources in legacy support.

The next few years sure are going to be interesting....

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 13, 2013 at 9:56:04 pm

I will point out that a lot of that blog post comes straight from Apple's talking points. There is absolutely no basis for making the statements about pricing that were made. In fact, making such claims in some official capacity would probably be a violation of financial rules, were they to be made by a public company.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]