FORUMS: list search recent posts

My NAB Show takeaways on Apple, Adobe & Avid

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Kleczewski
My NAB Show takeaways on Apple, Adobe & Avid
on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:40:20 pm

First off, this is coming from a guy who's used FCP and FCPX during both products entire lifetime, I'd consider myself an expert at both, and then of course used Media Composer my entire career on large projects like Discovery shows, feature docs etc.

Apple:
Not much to say here, they were not on the floor with anything new, only there to promote what was new in 10.0.8 and then specifically only as it related to Sony's new stuff. I absolutely love FCPX for what it is, and am currently cutting a feature doc on it with over 10,000 clips of video and about 300 hours of raw footage with very little issues. Having said that, I was pretty disappointed Apple didn't surprise us with a preview of what 10.1 will have in store, even if it wasn't coming any time soon. I figured they had to be thinking about it since it was well known the other big boys would be releasing totally new versions.

Avid:
Finally Finally Finally removing all the stupid limitations working with AMA files. Avid never wanted to admit it before, but there are countless instances when "waiting" to use their native mxf file system just didn't work on jobs that couldn't afford the time spent. Yeah if your a big hollywood production you don't care about all that, but for everyone else it wasn't helpful. Also, I dont care what anyone says, yes the media management in Avid is the best in the business, but, only when it works. When something goes wrong, its the worst in the business for you trying to figure out what the heck is wrong. So this is huge, good job! and of course now Background Transcoding helps mitigated some of what I said above here too which is great. LUTs, audio, cool stuff. My issue with Media Composer is and i guess will always be, its still MC at its heart in terms of how you actually edit on a cut to cut basis. I don't care what anyone says and I've seen some master level editors work, theres no way to be as fast/efficient on a macro basis with Avid as you can be with FCP either version. Again, big hollywood features don't care about that, but the rest of us do. Protools 11 looked awesome actually. 150X speed improvements in some places, crazy.

Adobe:
Again remember what I said above, FCP and Avid guy all the way. Never edited with Premiere ever... I think many people on the floor agreed, Adobe probably won NAB this year, and not just in comparison to the other two, but literally the whole show. Closest in my mind would be Blackmagic who continues to put out ingenious products and updates to their software (Resolve 10 fixes nearly every nitpicky thing i could think of). You couldn't help but feel the infectious vibe meeting the Evangelists and actual Developers instilled in the crowds that came to see the demos. I dont think I've ever felt more that a developer actually "cared" about what we the end users need. They had no problem being humble, even making fun of themselves for features that were missing for too long or stupid decisions they had made in past versions. They would literally take notes on the floor from people who had good ideas saying things like how they think it'd be no problem to incorporate in a small update in the future. It just feels good to know theres guys passionate about what they do, and what they are passionate about is making sure your work can be made even better.. And I haven't even mentioned the actual software yet.

I've always joked with people that my ideal NLE would probably be something like if FCP and Avid had a baby. Well it kinda seems to me thats exactly what Adobe is doing with Premiere. New paste attributes, ripped right from FCP. New script sync abilities, right from Avid but better. New media relinking, the ease of FCP, but with the flaggable power of Avids relink. Really cool stuff.

I have an entire production and post agency with locations in NYC, LA, Vegas, and Virginia to switch over in the coming months. I've been devising ways to "make FCPX work" hoping a 10.1 would bring proper shared collaboration abilities, but after all this I will strongly be considering Premiere.

Adobe Anywhere looked great too. The engineer i spoke with said it relies on an Iframe codec for now (he wouldn't say it was h.264 or not) so bandwidth up speeds need to be good, but they are working on a long gop version that will make it work fine from crappy hotel connections anywhere. That to me could be the biggest game changer since the advent of NLE to begin with.

very very impressive performance from Adobe, great job guys!

Director, Editor, Colorist
http://www.trsociety.com

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
Re: My NAB Show takeaways on Apple, Adobe & Avid
on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:03:19 pm

It does appear that Premiere has caught up with FCP7 which is a good development. Time to finally put in some time learning Premiere as I assume I will start getting requests for it at some point in the future.

On the other hand, our local PBS affiliate just put out a call for someone to train the whole staff in FCPX.

Interesting times.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:19:35 pm

The NAB crowd isn't Apple's target market for FCX. That market is very small compared to all the other markets it enjoys.

We are 2% of their business.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:43:44 pm

But they don't show up to CES or Mobile World Congress either; and consumer electronics IS a majority share of their business. So does that mean they don't care about those customers either..?

The simple fact is that Apple long ago stopped formulating their product release schedules based on anyone else's timetable; the end of their attendance at MacWorld was the final nail in that coffin.

Every FCPX feature update adds back more Pro functionality to FCPX- I can't think of one "consumer/prosumer" oriented thing that the FCPX dev team has chosen to focus on since 10.0 was released 2 years ago.

FCPX isn't explicitly for any market. Just like Premier or AVID, it's constrained purely by it's current feature set. Premier's announced update will allow it to be used where it couldn't before. And FCPX's use cases will similarly expand as the software matures. It's as simple as that.

Marcus R. Moore
FCPX Certified Pro [NAB 2013] AND Creative Cloud Subscriber.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:53:17 pm

[Marcus Moore] "FCPX isn't explicitly for any market. Just like Premier or AVID, it's constrained purely by it's current feature set. Premier's announced update will allow it to be used where it couldn't before. And FCPX's use cases will similarly expand as the software matures. It's as simple as that."

Exactly. We have an evolving NLE market that will be guided by personal preference much more than in the past. That seems to me to be a good thing. Having one NLE dominate the market isn't good for anyone.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:55:08 pm

I would have to agree Marcus,

When you set-up for Red, Alexa and now the Sony F55

You have some of the top cameras in the world.

Who uses those cameras? On What type of productions?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:01:57 pm

Indeed. If Apple is going after the consumer market, they're making the most illogical development choices imaginable.

After seeing Blackmagic's new offerings at NAB, I just hope that native CinemaDNG RAW support follows soon. Perhaps by the time the new cameras ship in July?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:36:16 pm

The new camera does support Cinema DNG files. They screwed up in their literature. I asked the lead engineer about all of that. It's def in there

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 12, 2013 at 7:53:37 pm

Yeah, I actually talked with that guy. He was killing himself for mucking that up in the interview.

I meant native CinemaDNG support in FCPX like RED and ALEXIA. Considering how much BM have supported FCPX in Resolve, it seems a foregone conclusion to me.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:48:56 pm

there is no way under god you could call FCPX consumer focused software at this point.

I may have tried once upon a time, but even I have stopped that racket.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:24:37 pm

Wait just a second... I thought the conventional wisdom was that it was designed to be iMovie Pro and targeted to rich skateboard kiddies.

You mean all that in hindsight, all the knowledgable pro opinionating relentlessly bandied about two years ago got the whole thing completely wrong?

Wow.

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:46:25 pm

[Bill Davis] "I thought the conventional wisdom was that it was designed to be iMovie Pro and targeted to rich skateboard kiddies."

well... it did rather seem a good debating narrative at the time, said he.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Apr 12, 2013 at 7:20:57 pm

Is that why this gentleman quotes
I Saw it running at many vendor booths. Lots of software and hardware systems work just fine with FCP X. If you’re in broadcast, film, web, any type of media production, know that everything you need is there for FCP X. Here is what I came away from NAB Show 2013 with, FCP X wise.

Final Cut Pro X And The Future
http://www.fcproxuniversity.com/FCPro_X_University/Extra_Credit/Entries/201...

Not saying I agree... but there is a good point

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:00:33 pm

[James Culbertson] "It does appear that Premiere has caught up with FCP7 which is a good development."

I wonder will the following scenario work in the latest Premiere:

Dual system. Non-matching timecode. Clapper slate.

– copy a shooting day worth of clips to timeline;
– rename from whatever camera generated to Scene-Take;
- park on a frame sticks hit;
– load matching sound take into source;
- hit Replace;
- repeat until there are no more clips;
- select all;
- copy back to project;

Without ever touching the mouse.

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:57:33 pm

Hi Nicholas,

Glad you enjoyed what we have to offer at NAB. The team is working really hard because we love allowing you guys to make great stuff. If you want to have a longer conversation reach out to me...

Cheers

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Senior Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Apr 13, 2013 at 5:53:26 pm

Hey David
I would be interested in talking some more! I could not for the life of me figure out contact info or messaging on here, my email is nicholask [at] studiocenter [dot] com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 13, 2013 at 12:22:23 am

[Nicholas Kleczewski] "I have an entire production and post agency with locations in NYC, LA, Vegas, and Virginia to switch over in the coming months. I've been devising ways to "make FCPX work" hoping a 10.1 would bring proper shared collaboration abilities, but after all this I will strongly be considering Premiere."

Not sure this is the case, but if you prefer X and your "sticking points" are collaboration and/or better audio capabilities, I think waiting a bit longer, assuming you can, might be worth it. Just based on my own speculation... Not any actual facts or anything. lol

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 13, 2013 at 5:38:56 am

[Charlie Austin] if you prefer X and your "sticking points" are collaboration and/or better audio capabilities, I think waiting a bit longer, assuming you can, might be worth it. Just based on my own speculation... Not any actual facts or anything.

I say go with Premiere. It has what you need, RIGHT NOW, so there won't be any more uncertainty. And you'll be dealing with a company that really cares about what's going on and will communicate with you, instead of one that lives on a high mountain behind closed iron doors...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 13, 2013 at 6:13:10 am

[Greg Andonian] "[Charlie Austin] if you prefer X and your "sticking points" are collaboration and/or better audio capabilities, I think waiting a bit longer, assuming you can, might be worth it. Just based on my own speculation... Not any actual facts or anything.

I say go with Premiere. It has what you need, RIGHT NOW, so there won't be any more uncertainty. And you'll be dealing with a company that really cares about what's going on and will communicate with you, instead of one that lives on a high mountain behind closed iron doors."

If Pr is a better fit for someone, absolutely. But if you like X, switching to something else RIGHT NOW because you think Apple is just sitting still is, to me, not a great reason. That's all. Also, I'm pretty sure Apple does care what's going on, and even though we don't hear about it, I bet they do communicate with people. I know I've gotten follow up responses to feedback forms I've submitted. Just because they're not trolling around on user forums doesn't mean they're not doing anything IMHO. Now, whether or not they should troll around on forums is another subject altogether...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 13, 2013 at 6:48:15 am

[Charlie Austin] "But if you like X, switching to something else RIGHT NOW because you think Apple is just sitting still is, to me, not a great reason."

I agree completely. With the speed of updates over the last couple of years, Apple has certainly demonstrated to my satisfaction that they are seriously focused and concerned with furthering the software. Their pace to bring X up to scratch has been commendably rapid, and people who were disappointed because they were expecting something from NAB, are perhaps expecting too much from the X development team. For one thing, they've made it quite clear that NAB is not their bag.

I don't know if X will ever develop into something that is right for me, but I have no doubt that it will continue to develop. If X appeals to you, there is just nothing else like it. As others have pointed out, this isn't a race.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 16, 2013 at 12:26:33 am

Agreed completely.

And I don't think a market with one, Highlander-like, NLE is what anyone should want.

Competition breeds progress.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]