FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple's Vulnerability: Public Image

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Campanale
Apple's Vulnerability: Public Image
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:57:35 am

So the company has made it abundantly clear it doesn't value what pros think.

They currently DO care, however, about their public image..... to the point of obsession.

The fact that Apple, media darlings, willfully mislead its customers for months on the release of one of its legacy products *is* dramatic enough to be newsworthy and should start making its way to some bigger blogs, perhaps?

All I want to see is Apple own up or at least defend themselves before I move on.

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
Re: Apple's Vulnerability: Public Image
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:22:06 am

"Newbies," "hobbyists," and "YouTubers" are gonna run with FCPX and make some stellar flicks with this "walled garden" application, perhaps even start production companies specializing in FCPX. In fact, now there's a forum right here on Cow entitled "FINAL CUT PRO X TECHNIQUES."

People are already using it for their creations while veterans are griping. Hey, get to work, boys! The newbies are coming!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:49:22 am

[Lemur Hayop] "Newbies," "hobbyists," and "YouTubers" are gonna run with FCPX and make some stellar flicks with this "walled garden" application, perhaps even start production companies specializing in FCPX. In fact, now there's a forum right here on Cow entitled "FINAL CUT PRO X TECHNIQUES."

People are already using it for their creations while veterans are griping. Hey, get to work, boys! The newbies are coming!"

Whats the point? This is now a hobby like scrapbooking or really more like being an amateur musician. So a bunch of DSLR shooters are going to run with X and make some YT videos.
Wow, should I be impressed, or what? How much money is there in that? And so what if there is a forum for X techniques? It doesn't give iMovie Pro any more cred. Guess what? There's also a forum for low/no pay jobs.
The FCP market is already over-saturated as it stands today. And when you consider that the potential number of X licenses is much higher that FCP, there is going to be a very, very diluted market. So those that are bragging that they are able to eke out a living doing this type of work will soon have double or triple the current level of competition.
How and why would you start a production company specializing in iMovie Pro? Who exactly is your market? Someone that can't afford to buy their own $300 piece of software? Well if they can't afford that, or a thousand dollar DSLR, it's a pretty good assumption that they don't have enough budget to pay someone else to do it for them. When there are 5 thousand guys in every major metropolitan town with the exact same gear, exact same software, doing the exact same thing, what to do think day rates are going to be?
If your goal is to be a YT hobbyist that is one thing. If your goal is to create a job for yourself and earn a living wage, that is an entirely different game. And you clearly don't understand the rules of that game.
You know who is going to make money on this? Apple, not you. Because they know they have a huge kool-aid drinking fan base that believes all that buzz word laced marketing hype and will spend huge money without putting together a business plan.
The naiveté of posts like yours give me quite a chuckle. This is the same mentality behind the people that spend half their paycheck every week at Guitar Center so they can go earn twenty dollars and a couple of beer coupons playing at some dive bar a couple of times a month.
So whoever said FCP X was a "game changer" was right. Looks like the game changed from Monopoly to Sorry!

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Eric Michael Cap
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:30:32 am

From today's L.A. Craigslist:

EXPERIENCED Video Editor - Expert in Final Cut Pro (Burbank, CA)

Date: 2011-06-23, 10:04AM PDT
Reply to: job-4z9je-2458002435@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

We are seeking for a full time video editor to edit short segment video clips for our network of websites.

These are the requirements to apply and you must meet every single criteria:

- An expert in Final Cut Pro. We are looking to upgrade to FCP X...any knowledge of this would be very helpful.
- Be able to work in an extremely fast, high energy, fun environment.
- An expert in different video formats and the MAC OS X environment.
- Be able to edit on the fly, EXTREMELY fast when asked to turn around a job.
- Have general knowledge of celebrities.
- Work very organized and follow edit bay's organizational system.
- You must be creative. We don't want to spoon feed you when asking for a clip. You need to be able to understand on quick directions and turn the job around FAST.
- Our videos are very high energy and fast (average video is around 1 minute). Make sure you can cut a quick clip and not lose the audience.
- Have transportation to get to the office.
- Able to use teleprompter software.

In order to apply, please submit your resume and a link to your reel.

Compensation: $15 per hour

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:24:45 am

Google David Pogue, NYTimes, Final Cut X

It's the responses to his article that are worth noting.

I'm willing to bet that it's only a matter of time before this makes it to the front page.
Journalists are only too eager to kick Apple. At least this time there's a good reason!

Mark

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:38:17 am

Regarding issues with Final Cut Pro X:
1) Don't hold it that way
2) Apple will announce the FCPX plugin program. Fill out the form and they will allow you to pick one plugin of your choice worth up to $40

Sorry, I just couldn't help it.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:51:32 am

[Joe Campanale] "They currently DO care, however, about their public image..... to the point of obsession"

Exactly. Hopefully Jobs has the same reaction to this as mobileme.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:46:09 am

I think that more than any other major corp, the bottom line is a higher priority. Apple is on a roll in terms of consumer markets that is where the money is. No highend customer support Should have seen the writting on the wall when "apple computers became just "apple"

rcardonna

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:04:12 am

Yes, but if we keep screaming legitimate complaint as loudly as we can anywhere we can, we will collectively be holding up Apple's only known kryptonite: bad PR. The conan piece was very funny, and sort of settled in my head what we kind of know: FCPX, in it's current state, is bullish*t software.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]