FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple refunded my money!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Dortch
Apple refunded my money!
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:25:30 am

I just got an email from Apple refunding my money for FCPX. I submitted a complaint simply based on the fact that as a user of FCP for over a decade, I purchased the new version expecting a certain level of functionality. I told them that based on all of the pro features missing, I felt I had purchased beta software and that I didn't appreciate paying $299 for that privilege. They just replied by refunding my money in full and apologizing for the delay in response.

Now let's see if we can get some functionality back in FCP!

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Brian Nichols
Re: Apple refunded my money!
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:40:32 am

I was refunded here is the reply:

Due to higher volume of requests we were unable to process your request within the committed time frame. I sincerely apologize for the delay in assisting you.

I'm sorry to hear that the Mac application "Final Cut Pro" you recently purchased is not functioning as expected. I know how eager you are to have the charge reversed. I will surely help you in reversing the charge.

Return to posts index

ryan early
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:49:46 am

This sets an interesting precedent !

Return to posts index

Rob Fourchalk
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:06:22 am

Silly question but did you get to keep the download after they refunded you?

Return to posts index

Brian Nichols
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:56:49 am

Yes I kept it. I may play around with it but really I can't use this in a pro situation. Kind of like a demo software with it limited functionality. Now I have to get my money back for Motion and Compressor!

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:08:08 am

Here is my question. I heard there is no serial number anymore --so if you got your money back and still have the app-pass it around! How does Apple keep people from buying the app and then sharing with with their friends?

Just curious

Return to posts index

Brian Nichols
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:00:33 pm

Yeah no serial number (should tell you right there its not 'Pro'), you can share with friends (all 2GB worth), but I would only wish this software on my direct competitors and enemies!

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:19:19 pm

Why did you make a $299 investment without doing your homework first? Even if the software was $99, that would warrant at least reading a couple of reviews on the web before handing over your credit card.

I'm a little confused by the people jumping on the refund bandwagon. Buyer beware! Quite frankly, it's kind of cool (and surprising) that Apple is refunding the purchase price in full. Especially considering you get to keep the merchandise. I would have expected them to issue you an apology and a $50 App Store credit or something.

Making early adopters pay for buggy software (and the eventual updates that fix it) sucks, but it's becoming standard operating procedure for a lot of developers. And the only real way to avoid wasting money on it is to exercise patience and diligence with your purchases.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:32:06 pm

[Mike Molenda] "Why did you make a $299 investment without doing your homework first? Even if the software was $99, that would warrant at least reading a couple of reviews on the web before handing over your credit card."

I've been using FCP for over a decade. We buy the newest version to begin testing ASAP, and frankly I was really excited to see what a 64-bit FCP could do, despite the interface changes.

What I didn't expect, what none of us could have fully expected was how castrated this software is. There were no reviews when I made the purchase, the reviews from us seasoned professionals who made the plunge over the last few days are what has started this storm. Have you purchased the software? Or have you been actively reading all of our feedback and concerns benefiting on our knowledge and reports but holding out on purchase? I hope it's the latter.

Frankly, as a business purchase $299 for software is nothing, and the refund I requested wasn't even about the money. It's the principle. Apple is advertising and selling this software as Final Cut Pro, noting none of it's changes or shortcomings compared to the previous product. In reality, FCPX has almost nothing in common with the legacy and capability of FCP, the platform upon which I've based my entire career and company around.

The full refund is well deserved, and even if the software keeps functioning, it's little more than a beefed up iMovie Pro beta at this point. It's not "Final Cut Pro."

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:20:58 am

You're right, I have benefitted from reading the reviews of early adopters. But after the months of speculation on how exactly FCPX was going to "revolutionize" post-production, I figured it might be prudent to tread carefully. I've gotten pretty comfortable with my usual workflow. Turns out "revolutionary" to some means (at least temporarily, fingers crossed) abandoning legacy pro/prosumer compatibility for amateur/consumer compatibility, so I guess I bet on the right horse there.

I'm sure you made your upgrade in good faith. After all, Apple has given us a product we could rely on for years (I cut my teeth on pre-FCP HD). But at the end of the day, you're paying for publicly untested and hitherto barely seen technology, so you can't know for sure what you're getting.

I was getting pretty cheesed with the number of people seemingly jumping on the "I hate X, give me my refund" bandwagon. Why not wait a day for the bloggers and professional reviewers to clear up some of the uncertainty instead of affirming Apple in releasing broken/incomplete products by helping to send FCPX to #1 in the App Store, even if you get your money back?

Sorry I took my frustration out on you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]