FORUMS: list search recent posts

is the pro hardware next ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan early
is the pro hardware next ?
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:24:34 am

I had it all planned, this year get finalcutstudio 4 and upgrade my tower to a brand new macpro and I thought everything would be great. Now I am about to get cs5 instead and start that learning curve but before I do I am wondering will there still be a macpro tower in the future. I can see apple scrapping the pro hardware as well and selling just imacs and laptops.

I have never felt like this about apple before but my trust is gone. I love osx but are we limiting ourselves to toy computers in the future by sticking with apple while our pc friends can build professional towers and run avid/premiere. I'd hate to invest in cs5 or avid for osx and find that in a year or two's time my only hardware option is an imac ( great as they are I'd rather a tower ) or a laptop.

I think my halo effect which came via final cut pro may be imploding.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
Re: is the pro hardware next ?
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:38:43 am

If there is a real Video I/O for FCPX soon, the new Mac Pro will come. If there is none, then chances are it will not.

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:05:17 am

Not necessarily. They have thunderbolt now, and we know apple doesn't like you messing with their hardware. The new iMac's having custom firmware on their HDD so you can't replace them with your own is probably just the first step.

I believe the Mac Pro is indeed going to go the way of the dodo bird. It isn't a money maker, and Apple loves to tell people what the future of computing is a big towers certainly aren't it.

They love small and compact. The Mac Pro certainly isn't small.

The only reasons to stay with Mac have been FCP and Resolve. Now that FCP is gone, DiVinci Resolve is the only thing left, and if the Mac Pro is discontinued it will probably be rewritten for windows.

FCP and the Mac Pro are not compatible with the direction that Apple wants to go. They've jettisoned the one, how long will the other last?

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:15:52 am

JOhn

I kinda have to believe you on this but are you serious about the iMACS having some kind of Apple firmware on them so youhave to replace it with an Apple drive and spend 8000 dollars on it

Matt

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:06:02 pm

[Matt Stoltz] "are you serious about the iMACS having some kind of Apple firmware on them so youhave to replace it with an Apple drive"

Yep.

http://blog.macsales.com/10146-apple-further-restricts-upgrade-options-on-n...

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:28:06 am

Avid is platform agnostic in that the license is for both Mac and Windows so if you have to move on you can do so without any hassle.

Return to posts index

ryan early
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:38:11 am

Is premiere also platform agnostic like avid ?

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:41:20 am

Sort of. You have to call Adobe and tell them that you want a cross grade and they'll do it (maybe against a little fee, don't know). I had that with After Effects many years ago and it is still in the faq on Adobe's website that they'll do it.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:47:04 am

Premiere Pro and Production Premium are the same on Mac and PC. Same price, same functionality etc.

There are more qualified graphics cards for hardware GPU acceleration on the PC and a few extra (old) transition types but other than that, they are completely identical.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]