FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Anywhere

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Shields
Adobe Anywhere
on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:29:38 am

Those of you at the show, have you been impressed with Anywhere? It was one of the big things I was looking forward to seeing when I thought I was going. What are your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: Adobe Anywhere
on Apr 9, 2013 at 5:49:49 am

[Craig Shields] "Those of you at the show, have you been impressed with Anywhere? It was one of the big things I was looking forward to seeing when I thought I was going. What are your thoughts?
"

As I've been moving around, I've missed presentations about it thus far. The real push seems to be around Creative Cloud and CS Next, as they are temporarily calling it. I really haven't been focused on it, so I haven't asked about it. But I will tomorrow if I get a chance.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 9, 2013 at 6:24:03 am

I didn't see it anywhere...

Seriously though - one of the most impressive demos of the day for me was Lightworks - the Assistant Editor/Editor workflow is more powerful than anything I've ever seen. Funky looking program but great for long form feature work.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 9, 2013 at 6:47:51 am

[Lance Bachelder] I didn't see it anywhere...

Oh, the irony! ;)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 9, 2013 at 7:06:37 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Seriously though - one of the most impressive demos of the day for me was Lightworks - the Assistant Editor/Editor workflow is more powerful than anything I've ever seen. Funky looking program but great for long form feature work."

Yes. It was pretty cool. I haven't seen the full demo, yet. I hope to tomorrow, but the five minutes I got to see looked great.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:00:04 pm

It's being demo'd in the far corner of the booth. Check it out.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:11:00 pm

Here are a couple of vids on the workflow:

http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeanywhere.html

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:17:11 pm

Just in case you don't notice the second thumbnail at the bottom - here's Adobe Anywhere - looks as if CNN must have beta tested it:

http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeanywhere.html

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Apr 10, 2013 at 1:59:27 am

The datasheet available for Anywhere hardware requirements indicates this product isn't for the small shop: http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/anyw...

1 Collaboration server (running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-bit)
3 Mercury Streaming Engines (Servers also running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-bit)
At least 8 10GbE ports.
(None of which jives with the video here: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeanywhere.html#nerolimedia_split_adobe-an... - ...throw a server together, anywhere you have a network point....)

Using the datasheet, the foundational server/software costs alone could be $15K-$20K minimum, but perhaps you could build your own server and run something else, though I continue to wonder why Adobe doesn't pay more attention to enterprise Linux for back-end duties.

Hopefully they have something up their sleeve for smaller outfits and/or groups of local editors who don't have a data-center with 4 servers to spare... ;)

While I can't help but think they've designed the product so that smaller outfits need to turn to their "Cloud" (I'm a broken record I know), it looks nice for large organizations.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Doug Mann
on Apr 14, 2013 at 3:36:32 pm

The hardware requirements are an extraordinary disappointment. Adobe has chosen to build a brand new editing paradigm based on Windows server. This cannot be forgiven. They should have designed it around a Unix core, but instead threw us straight back into Microsoft's awaiting stranglehold and viruses.

Oh well, I guess it's back to hanging on to FCP 7 until a proper non-Apple replacement comes along. Are you listening Avid/Sony? *cough*(unix)*cough* .

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 14, 2013 at 3:54:55 pm

For Unix, Have a look at Lightworks

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Doug Mann
on Apr 15, 2013 at 4:15:09 pm

Thank you Steve - I had not considered Lightworks for a while. On a quick look, it seems that Lightworks is even less adept with audio than FCP or Premiere 5 (haven't tried current Premiere) so it's not ready for us.

Again, I don't see any better course of action than to suffer with FCP7 until a clearly superior solution for our studios is presented. Every system has strengths and weaknesses, but we need a compelling set of benefits to justify our once-per-decade facility wide investment.

I'll keep a wide open mind about all of them, but it could be that the "cloud" people will actually deliver something we can use. Doubt it, but watching closely.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 15, 2013 at 4:46:13 pm

Doug,

Premiere Pro CS6 and above have significantly improved audio options to the point that I would characterize the forthcoming version as probably the most powerful audio capable NLE out there (though many will doubtless disagree).

As for testing the 'cloud' people, at least for Adobe you can download a free trial. CS6 is available today and presumably the next versions will be out at some point with a free trial as well. When they do, I suggest you give it a try and of course ask questions where needed.

Cheers,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 10, 2013 at 8:29:21 am

[Kevin Monahan] "It's being demo'd in the far corner of the booth. Check it out.
"

I missed it, which is a bummer.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:18:10 pm

I got to demo it pretty extensively and got kind of lucky as the made woman demoing had to step away so actually one of the lead engineers on the team did it for me instead. He wasn't a good presenter but he clearly knew everything going on under the hood so I asked what I could.

First of all, it was very impressive, everything ran butter smooth and you didn't get any noticeable artifacting in the footage unless you were skimming very fast, but it was totally tolerable.

I asked the basic question, so am I basically just looking at an h.264 feed of my footage here, sort of like OnLive is for video gaming? He wouldn't commit to say it was specifically h.264, but he did talk about how its an Iframe codec being used. He noted this being important so they could keep the quality up, but also will require Up bandwidth to be fairly solid (which is where most people's bottlenecks really are). But they are already working on a Long Gop version of Anywhere that will allow much broader connection types to take full advantage but the engineering challenges of streaming long gop in real time with frame accuracy to an editors skimming desires is a huge challenge.

They haven't posted any minimum internet speed requirements yet, or price. They said they literally haven't even figured out yet what it should cost.

The demo they had was streaming footage from their systems near or in San Francisco.

Director, Editor, Colorist
http://www.trsociety.com

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:23:32 pm

But as I noted above they did post current minimum hardware requirements which are quite substantial depending on one's point of view.

To be fair however, Interplay seems to be very similar and will probably have even more specific Avid-centric requirements so I'm beginning to feel their initial goal is clearly larger organizations and infrastructure, as Interplay seems to be equally appealing to the suit-and-tie crowd.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:30:36 pm

I just saw this article, check it out: "Closing NAB 2013 Thoughts: Why Adobe Anywhere is the Only Tool That Will A...

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]