Resolve 10 gets all "edity"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Resolve 10 gets all "edity"
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:05:31 pm

What's new in DaVinci Resolve 10

Resolve Live
• Grade Live incoming SDI video and save grading snapshots with metadata and stills

New Editing Enhancements for Project Finishing
• Multi track video and audio editing
• Extensive clip trimming support
• High quality optical flow image processing
• Static, lower third, scroll and crawl titles
• Compound clips
• Three point and four point fit-to-fill editing
• Transform, crop and opacity video effects
• Multiple Take selection
• Expanded XML and AAF roundtrip support
• Built-in generators for bars and test patterns
• Audio level controls with track mixing
• Matchframe linking for source and timeline viewers
• Stereoscopic 3D editing
• Media Pool list view now includes a filmstrip view

New Color Correction Enhancements
• Support for an unlimited number of industry standard OpenFX plug-ins per clip
• Unlimited Power Windows per node
• New Gradient Power Window
• Power Window presets to combine multiple windows
• PowerCurve Window freehand drawing and processing enhancements
• Copy and Paste of Tracking Data between Power Windows
• Power Window rotation available on the 4th trackball on the BMD control panel
• Motion Effects palette - In full version of DaVinci Resolve
• Chrominance control for Spatial noise reduction - In full version of DaVinci Resolve
• Temporal noise reduction - In full version of DaVinci Resolve
• Motion blur - In full version of DaVinci Resolve
• Enhanced blur with 10x range increase
• Contrast and pivot controls in 3-Way color and Primary palettes
• Split screen viewer display with SDI output
• CinemaDNG and ARRI Raw decoder options for half and quarter resolution
• Debayer and image scaling quality modes for systems with low GPU power
• Keyframe Timeline metadata now saved with Gallery Stills
• Drag and drop stills between Gallery pages
• Grab missing stills for all clips
• PowerGrades will now be append to the node editor with double click
• Enhanced Lightbox display with colour correction controls and SDI output
• Node based PTZR controls
• Corrector Node RGB/YUV selector for channel isolation
• Splitter and Combiners Nodes for single channel effects
• Optimized latency while grading complex node graphs
• Render Cache metadata is now saved with the project
• Global grade bypass for quick before/after grade review
• Auto Stabilization improvements to track shots with camera pans
• Additional External Matte Freeze and current clip settings
• Burn-in options for individual and global formatting and whether to display item labels
• User selectable LUT selection for GUI Viewer and Scopes
• Printer Light Hotkey grading
• Additional timeline filters to sort the colour and deliver timelines
• Keyboard shortcut to full screen viewer mode
• Media and Edit page viewer now includes a zoom to fit selector
• The switching clip selection now also in the node editor options menu
• Projects can now be arranged and saved within project folders for easy organisation
• Projects and project folders can be cut and pasted between project folders
• 3rd party panel improvements

Media Support Enhancements
• AVI clip decoding
• JPEG 2000 decoding
• Viewer display with side-by-side audio waveform or VU display options
• Auto Sync of Dailies audio and video using matching time code
• Edit clip metadata concurrently with audio and video sync
• User definable preset list of metadata to be displayed on screen
• Log ACES support
• Sony Slog2 IDT for ACES
• Canon C500 IDT for ACES
• Additional Media Pool fields for clip metadata includes shot, scene, take, angle, circled and camera roll #

Deliver Enhancements
• Audio tracks are now displayed in the timeline with video clips
• Audio VU meters with dBu and VU range selection
• Additional render option to JPEG 2000 for DCP generation
• Additional render resolution templates
• Render settings now include optional render job version name
• Integration with easyDCP using license purchased from EasyDCP (Available for Mac and Windows)

General Enhancements
• OpenCL support for multiple AMD GPUs on Windows
• Menu bar support on Linux
• Linux CentOS 6.3 support
• General performance and stability improvements

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: solve 10 gets all "edity"
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:31:51 pm

Massive update. Resolve becoming more and more a finishing tool. Would be interesting to know the OpenFX performance. Is it pure CPU-based or will they encourage real time filters?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:35:16 pm

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/software

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:40:54 pm

which websites are you using to get the latest NAB stuff?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:58:06 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "which websites are you using to get the latest NAB stuff?"

Starting with #NAB2013 on Twitter then some other Forums at the moment that are specific to what I'm looking for, NAB have a livestream, but it's only occasionally interesting.

Volume of noise across most sites should be ramping up about now as people find those hidden goodies.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 8, 2013 at 6:12:28 pm

it'll be interesting to see whats included in the lite vs full versions.. I cant imagine all that Finishing stuff will be free.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 8, 2013 at 6:17:48 pm

nevermind, looks like its roughly the same accroding to their compare page. Lite users just dont 3d and 2k+ and the motion/noise reduction stuff.

pretty effin amazing.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 8, 2013 at 6:18:10 pm

[Neil Goodman] "it'll be interesting to see whats included in the lite vs full versions.. I cant imagine all that Finishing stuff will be free."

The differences in 10 are the same as 9, everything else is included.

My thought that BMD might one day buy Avid might be wrong, they are clearly building out their own end to end workflow!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 8, 2013 at 9:11:31 pm

[Steve Connor] "My thought that BMD might one day buy Avid might be wrong, they are clearly building out their own end to end workflow!"

Resolve is still far from being an NLE though. If BMD did want to cover everything from shooting to editing to finishing I would be surprised if they built an NLE from scratch vs grabbing one that already exists at an affordable price (kinda like how they ended up w/DaVinci).

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 8, 2013 at 10:36:12 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Resolve is still far from being an NLE though."

Maybe, but it sure is starting to look like one

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:14:15 am

I still don't understand why Premiere (and Avid for that matter) still has to look like Windows 95. It may very well be all amazing now, but yikes it's still ugly. And still cluttered. Way too many boxes and outlines and buttons. Look at DaVinci, Motion, FCP X, etc. The thumbnails in X for example. They're just an image. No border. No box. Clean. Even when you mark a range it's visible without any highlighting of the thumbnail. And the play buttons in DaVinci - no box. No "button." Just icons. When depressed there is a box. Minimalist. It and X are definitely going in the same direction. But even FCP legacy was nice and clean.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:23:44 am

[Bret Williams] "I still don't understand why Premiere (and Avid for that matter) still has to look like Windows 95. It may very well be all amazing now, but yikes it's still ugly."

LOL, Have you looked at Sony Vegas? It *really* looks like Windows '95. I think Premiere and Avid look fine.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:22:40 pm

I was drawn into learning Motion recently and was surprised at just how more modern it "looked." After a few projects I was wowed by some things like how it looked and the rt playback engine and the reflections features. But not wowed by it's lack of depth when you really started working in it, and of course the million other features that AE supports by comparison. But for 80 of ones motion graphics needs, it's a good fit. Until you start trying to nest or do any intense keyframing. Even in Premiere, Adobe just "gets" keyframing. They understand it.

So ugly or not it has nothing to do with function that's for sure. In fact, I still find X's ispector pretty inefficient. Always scrolling down for the most basic stuff, like opacity. Some reason we can't adjust opacity and composite modes in the timeline easily anymore?

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Apr 10, 2013 at 10:02:24 am

starting to look like fcpx! lol

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 8, 2013 at 6:26:21 pm

http://www.engadget.com/

are at the show

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 8, 2013 at 6:27:30 pm

autodesk is live streaming pretty much everything. although its just a reel loop at the mo.

http://area.autodesk.com/nab2013

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
Re: Resolve 10 gets all "edity"
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:56:04 am

Interesting enough the only NLE pictured in their 2013 printed catalog is FCP X.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:36:58 am

[Jari Innanen] "Interesting enough the only NLE pictured in their 2013 printed catalog is FCP X."

Resolve 10 seems to be somewhat influenced by FCP X with respect to UI (the new filmstrip view, the general appearance of the timeline) and certain features — compound clips, and... does 'multiple take selection' mean something like auditions? I'm not sure.

FCP X also gets top billing on Resolve 10's workflow page.

I wonder if Blackmagic — and all the plugin and workflow tool developers who also seem pretty enthusiastic about FCP X — are seeing something happening in the market that isn't being reflected in the Internet narrative about FCP X just yet.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:10:02 am

[Chris Kenny] "I wonder if Blackmagic — and all the plugin and workflow tool developers who also seem pretty enthusiastic about FCP X — are seeing something happening in the market that isn't being reflected in the Internet narrative about FCP X just yet."

Media Composer has Symphony. Premiere Pro has SpeedGrade. Smoke has Lustre. FCPX has a workflow hole. Why wouldn't you develop for it?

What is the "Internet narrative" about FCPX? Seems to me that it was a product with a botched launch that has been steadily adding features and addressing objections.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:16:36 am

[Walter Soyka] "Media Composer has Symphony. Premiere Pro has SpeedGrade. Smoke has Lustre. FCPX has a workflow hole. Why wouldn't you develop for it?"

At least in the indie feature world, I'm not seeing Symphony or SpeedGrade used that often as alternatives to Resolve. I'm not sure they're enough of a force that it would make sense for Blackmagic to particularly target FCP X merely because it doesn't have a first-party equivalent of those products.

[Walter Soyka] "What is the "Internet narrative" about FCPX? Seems to me that it was a product with a botched launch that has been steadily adding features and addressing objections."

Your summary of the history of FCP X to date is fair, but I think the "standard Internet narrative" often also attaches something like "But pretty much nobody uses FCP X for anything serious". Given that Resolve is pretty damn serious software, the interest Blackmagic is showing in FCP X suggests they believe otherwise.

--

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:37:43 am

[Chris Kenny] "At least in the indie feature world, I'm not seeing Symphony or SpeedGrade used that often as alternatives to Resolve. I'm not sure they're enough of a force that it would make sense for Blackmagic to particularly target FCP X merely because it doesn't have a first-party equivalent of those products."

Do most of your edits come in from FCP, or do you see a lot of MC/Pr work as well?

I haven't seen SpeedGrade much out there, either, but I would be surprised if that didn't change some as Adobe's integration efforts play out.

Resolve already targeted all the classic/legendary NLEs, via EDL/AAF/XML, in previous versions. It's not like they chose FCPX and ignored the other NLEs. I think that lifting design cues from FCPX is probably good marketing -- people buying a $300 NLE may well be drawn to a free color corrector and some hardware that suits both.

[Chris Kenny] "Your summary of the history of FCP X to date is fair, but I think the "standard Internet narrative" often also attaches something like "But pretty much nobody uses FCP X for anything serious". Given that Resolve is pretty damn serious software, the interest Blackmagic is showing in FCP X suggests they believe otherwise."

I do like Resolve -- I bought in the day it was released for Mac -- but isn't Resolve now suffering (perhaps to a lesser degree) the same perceptual issues that FCPX suffers?

What about last year when BMD added DNxHD/MXF support to their recorders? BMD is smart -- they play all the angles.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:59:03 am

[Walter Soyka] "Do most of your edits come in from FCP, or do you see a lot of MC/Pr work as well?"

It's about 50/50 MC and FCP 7. We've gotten a couple of inquires about FCP X for narrative stuff, and a couple of music videos have come through that were edited in Premiere.

[Walter Soyka] "I do like Resolve -- I bought in the day it was released for Mac -- but isn't Resolve now suffering (perhaps to a lesser degree) the same perceptual issues that FCPX suffers?"

Not around here. I know of a couple of name-brand colorists who have left major facilities to start their own operations, who swear by Resolve. I also know that several major facilities have Resolve suites (though they often also have other systems as well). I think Resolve's history in the industry and the fact that it's still possible to build a pretty expensive Resolve system (between its multi-GPU support and the existence of those $30K panels) prevent perception problems that might otherwise exist as a consequence of the low base price.

Blackmagic's extremely aggressive pace of development helps as well. It forestalls arguments along the lines of "Resolve isn't a serious app because it doesn't have feature X", because with a high probability the next release is going to have feature X. Heh.

--

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:45:26 pm

[Chris Kenny] "Blackmagic's extremely aggressive pace of development helps as well. It forestalls arguments along the lines of "Resolve isn't a serious app because it doesn't have feature X", because with a high probability the next release is going to have feature X. Heh."

Case in point: Resolve 10's support for OpenFX.

This is a really, really big deal. I think it's on par with the editorial timeline itself. Resolve's biggest "problem" has been that it's been limited to conform/color. Support for OFX opens up all kinds of new possibilities to Resolve.

Should I start assuming that BMD will add a compositor in v11 next year?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:03:04 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Should I start assuming that BMD will add a compositor in v11 next year?"

It wouldn't be that crazy. They've already laid the groundwork in the node graph with alpha outputs and multiple image inputs. The node-based PTZR in 10 also seems relevant.

--

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:10:55 pm

[Chris Kenny] "It wouldn't be that crazy. They've already laid the groundwork in the node graph with alpha outputs and multiple image inputs. The node-based PTZR in 10 also seems relevant."

Agreed. Compositing seems a logical next step, and its addition would make Resolve a pretty fierce finishing system.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:50:51 pm

Here's a demo, it's actually in English, just introduced in French! There's screen shots a few minutes in.

It's looking very good!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]