FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X at NAB

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
FCP X at NAB
on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:20:05 pm

Apple had its round of meetings during the weekend. No new pre-announcements of features, though indication that there would be several updates during this year.

Promoted the new features in 10.0.8, such as Log C and 4K Sony codec support. Discussed third party ecosystem and X evolving into a platform. Discussed "in action" case studies. Briefly demo'ed Cantemo Portal integration.

Pointed to sales of FCP X surpassing FCP 7 (not all of legacy).

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FCP X at NAB
on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:52:26 pm

And the purposes of meeting with the press to tell them what they already know was....?
So this is their "marketing campaign?" Seriously? What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:58:29 pm

Doesn't sound like much of a briefing if it's true. Apple could do with some more interesting PR as the Adobe updates will be all everyones's talking about. Apart from Avid MC7 of course!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:40:55 pm

Maybe it's just me but if I were a reporter I'd be a bit P.O'd.
NAB is crazy busy enough for a trade journalist and to take time out to go to a briefing of stuff one already knows from Apple's site and any Google search... how does that win support from the media?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:45:29 pm

Yeah. I give every credit to the development team. But their PR is totally counterproductive. Better to not have shined a light on yourself at all when you don't have anything to say.

Return to posts index

Russ Johnson
on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:00:47 pm

Did anyone press them on the possibility of a new MacPro?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:59:49 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Better to not have shined a light on yourself at all when you don't have anything to say."

That's not how it works. It's the opposite. Apple didn't talk to anybody for years because they didn't have to. Everybody on the freaking planet was falling over themselves to give their perspective on Apple, no matter who they had to crush to do it.

And I thank each and every one of you. LOL

But many of the people covering this space have never spoken to anyone at Apple before. A nice, non-hostile briefing affirming that they're staying the course, continuing to add pro features with a few specifics sprinkled in -- look for some warm, if not overly enthusiastic coverage, to keep people talking about Apple during the rest of the hub-bub, and leave some writers feeling just a little bit better about Apple caring about THEM too.

Do notice, though, that "we're staying the course, things will be getting better" has been a theme for a lot of people. Maxon built an entire NAB campaign around enhanced integration between C4D and AE. They've had some integration since January 2003. So what are the new integration features? Dunno. Th press release just "The best is yet to come!" Yes, the quote from Maxon's CEO had an exclamation point.

No disrespect. You'll certainly see quite a few similar announcements from other companies. Integration is worth talking about, even if there's nothing to show right this second. More people SHOULD be publicly talking about partners.

This, like Apple, is exactly what you do when you don't have anything. Talk to people. Stay in the news cycle. Remind people that you're there -- I'd sure forgotten about Maxon, hadn't you? --and that there might be something coming soon. "Watch this space" IS an actual announcement.

Certainly for Apple, who has taken their lumps for radio silence.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:17:05 pm

[Tim Wilson] " Integration is worth talking about, even if there's nothing to show right this second."

Tim, how about:

"Blackmagic will have the affordable 4K camera recording direct to ProRes for our 4K handling FCPX.
While you'll certainly love their included Resolve and how it'll take advantage of the two GPUs in your next Mac but we understand some of you want to track your grade mattes right in FCPX. CoreMelt's SliceX will do that with Mocha's Planar tracking right inside FCPX."

Two developers get some additional marketing spin from Apple Reporters leave feeling they've see Pro support and a clear hint at a MacPro.

Might have created a little bit of buzz.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:30:13 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Might have created a little bit of buzz."

I happen to know that the PR people for Blackmagic work like demons...but really, is there an easier job in the industry than trying to build buzz for Blackmagic? LOL

I'm just disappointed that Blackmagic didn't show the transporter that Grant personally demoed to us in December. Maybe for IBC. Heck, maybe they'll TRAVEL to IBC using the transporter.

That really is about the only thing that could create more buzz for them.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:59:12 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I'm just disappointed that Blackmagic didn't show the transporter that Grant personally demoed to us in December."

Although I'm hearing they'll have a time travel device so you can go straight to the actual camera release dates.

It's Apple's PR that needs to take advantage of Blackmagic buzz. BM decided to use an FCPX screenshot after all. I mean haven't they (BM) heard that "Pros" don't use FCPX so there's no point using that in their marketing material. Why weren't they using an MC7 screenshot, the NLE choice of "Hollywood?" Sarcasm deliberate. Apple's PR is seriously asleep at the wheel. They're treading water at best. A dog and pony show involves bringing the dog an pony and Apple hasn't reached out to either.

BM chose to use FCPX for a reason and Apple should ride the wave they've been given.

It's great to make waves but the great surfer should know how to ride them. This is called missing the wave.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Apr 10, 2013 at 9:48:35 am

Well maybe they didn't use Hollywoods choice cause nobody in Hollywood won't be using the BlackMagic Camera. If it ever ships!

I a, starting the bad PR was the best PR Apple ever did. Up to know nobody is talking about Premiere (why would they). but everybody is all in FCPX!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 10, 2013 at 4:47:55 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I'm just disappointed that Blackmagic didn't show the transporter that Grant personally demoed to us in December. Maybe for IBC. Heck, maybe they'll TRAVEL to IBC using the transporter. "

Actually he did. There was a secret room. Turns out that the transporter, still pre-Beta, not only links through space, but through time as well. You are right about IBC; we got taken there (2015) to watch the official release announcement. It worked well going, but coming back there were glitches, though nothing unprecedented for pre-Beta. I now have a third eye, which was certainly unanticipated, but has proved to be quite useful.

I'm a little hesitant to be sharing this because of the NDA I signed, but since a couple of square inches of my right buttock remain in 2015 (after the NDA was lifted) I feel fairly confident that I'm on solid ground.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]