http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Avid-Product-Announcements-at-NAB-2013

Avid have a V7 too!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Avid announce MC7
on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:42:02 am

looks like a solid update for me considering theres not too not much i'd change besides bug fix's and workflow enhancements. I was hoping for updated multicam.

The AMA editions are huge, and the background transcode/consolidate in dynamic folders will be great.

Welcomed audio enhancements for sure.

All in all not a huge release, kinda underwhelming but its easy to think that since the other two A's are still in "catchup mode". Well CS7 looks pretty caught up minus a few things.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:47:12 am

Looks like some form of resolution independence as well. And LUT support maybe. Those are pretty significant in my workflows - very excited to learn more.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:52:09 am

[Michael Hancock] "Looks like some form of resolution independence as well. And LUT support maybe. Those are pretty significant in my workflows - very excited to learn more.
"

yup although its still limited to HD resolution proejects

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:16:29 am

AMA updates sound very promising (the background processing is a nice cue from FCPX). All that and more for $999. I wonder what the upgrade price will be.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:51:06 am

I also wonder if anything was axed to make the package cheaper like Avid FX. MC 5 came with Boris CC and that was axed in 6. Avid FX is the only secondary color grading solution available. I would've like have seen updated color controls and a multi-cam solution for start/stop camera that doesn't involve Reality TV style multi-grouping. Of course if a ref file could be imported via AMA that would fix that problem.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:19:24 am

Avid fx and squeeze still bundled. Symphony is now an add on. I agree on muliticam. Needs an update for sure.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:41:07 am

That being said, if a mixdown master can happen in the bg, that would still make it usable for me, and opens up more possibility of Ditching X for this kind of work.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 8, 2013 at 8:41:22 am

[Neil Goodman] "All in all not a huge release, kinda underwhelming but its easy to think that since the other two A's are still in "catchup mode". Well CS7 looks pretty caught up minus a few things.
"

Yes and one day Avid will "catchup" with Native 4K

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 8, 2013 at 8:52:29 am

…and maybe a GUI from the 21st century? MC7 might be better in that regard compared to MC6 and I know I got the comment "would you seriously choose your editor based on it's GUI?!" and my answer is to a degree yes.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:58:54 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "…and maybe a GUI from the 21st century? MC7 might be better in that regard compared to MC6 and I know I got the comment "would you seriously choose your editor based on it's GUI?!" and my answer is to a degree yes.
"

The GUI's just fine. And its much more flexible than X in terms of being able to arrange it. Of course its not as entertaining, no animation to enjoy, but in terms of an editing tool it's far more serviceable and useful.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:04:00 pm

MC6 felt like jumping back into OS9. Uggly and mildly depressing.

I never said FCPX was great. It has huge flaws on the flexibility side for sure.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 8, 2013 at 6:39:33 pm

[Chris Harlan] "The GUI's just fine. And its much more flexible than X in terms of being able to arrange it. Of course its not as entertaining, no animation to enjoy, but in terms of an editing tool it's far more serviceable and useful."

If you wanna see a GUI that's really stuck in the last century, take a look at Sony Vegas. The Avid GUI is perfectly fine. I honestly don't understand people who think it's backwards. It's visually clean, flexible, and works well if you know what you're doing.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:17:44 pm

[David Lawrence] "If you wanna see a GUI that's really stuck in the last century, take a look at Sony Vegas. The Avid GUI is perfectly fine. I honestly don't understand people who think it's backwards. It's visually clean, flexible, and works well if you know what you're doing.
"

It apparently lacks sufficient pizzaz. The funny thing is that if the flat, minimalist GUI direction that Jonathan Ive has started with iOS bleeds into OS X and other Apple apps then MC's GUI could come full circle and be 'in' again w/o ever changing. ha!

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:47:05 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "The funny thing is that if the flat, minimalist GUI direction that Jonathan Ive has started with iOS bleeds into OS X and other Apple apps then MC's GUI could come full circle and be 'in' again w/o ever changing. ha!"

So true! I'm hoping Ive's design influence will make Apple software look good and work better.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 8, 2013 at 8:03:14 pm

Not quite. You can do minimalistic good looking and minimalistic bad looking. At least MC6 falled in to the later. How they managed to not even have anti-alised text and use the same icons our AVID had 1997 is quite impressive. I'd be very surprised if Ive was remotely close.

To some this is just "nonsense" but I reckon GUI design is really important. Part of these issues might be cross-platform related as i've seen similar issues in Adobes software. Text-rendering is still really poor on Windows compared to OSX and applications like Preview render PDF's better looking than Adobe's Illustrator or Acrobat Reader (Quartz vs cross-plattform engine I would think).

It's similar to another thread where someone didn't quite understand me questioning the scopes in PrPro CS6. They look terrible - doesn't fit into the app at all in 2013.

That said - sometimes you have no options.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 8, 2013 at 9:07:24 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "How they managed to not even have anti-alised text and use the same icons our AVID had 1997 is quite impressive. I'd be very surprised if Ive was remotely close."

My Ive's comment was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.

I think you are the second person recently to comment about the text in Avid's GUI and to be honest w/o someone bringing those types of things up they never would've crossed my mind. I'm pretty utilitarian though (I love Honda's Element and my favorite plane is the A-10) and Avid's GUI aesthetics don't get in my way so I'm pretty okay with them. I'd rather Avid concentrate on fixing workflow problems first (like it seems they did w/the AMA improvements) and save the big GUI improvements for a cherry on top down the road.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:20:30 am

[Erik Lindahl] "To some this is just "nonsense" but I reckon GUI design is really important. Part of these issues might be cross-platform related as i've seen similar issues in Adobes software. Text-rendering is still really poor on Windows compared to OSX and applications like Preview render PDF's better looking than Adobe's Illustrator or Acrobat Reader (Quartz vs cross-plattform engine I would think)."

It sounds like you must be using Windows because on Mac OS 10.8, the fonts on MC look just fine. They seem to be anti-aliased and are clean, clear and easy to read.

You realize that Avid's fonts are *completely* user-customizable?

If you don't like the way the default fonts look on your system, try changing them to something that works better on your system. There are many Mac and PC fonts specifically optimized for non-antialiased, bit-mapped displays that look fantastic.

Seriously, have you looked at Vegas? It *really* looks like Windows '95.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:28:08 pm

[Steve Connor] "Yes and one day Avid will "catchup" with Native 4K"

touche'

as far as the interface, i actually like it.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:58:26 pm

The GUI is nothing to write home about atheistically but it doesn't bother me. Of course I really didn't mind Color's GUI either so I guess as long as function is sufficiently present I'm not picky about the form.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]