COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Soyka
Adobe NAB Sneak Peeks
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:53:08 am

Here's Adobe's official reveal page:
http://adobe.ly/10wKtF4

Specific to Premiere Pro:
http://success.adobe.com/assets/en/downloads/events/nab-2013/Preview_Premie...

Some highlights:
Redesigned (yet non-magnetic) timeline
Improved relinking
Apply SpeedGrade looks in Premiere Pro
Audio clip mixer
Native support for DNxHD MXF
Improved Mercury Playback Engine
Automatically synchronize multiple camera angles
Improved interchange
Multiple GPU support
Adobe Exchange panel (in-app add-on browser)
RapidFind search results

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Adobe NAB Sneak Peeks
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:06:59 am

Lots of great stuff! Let me know if you have questions.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:21:54 am

[Kevin Monahan] "Lots of great stuff! Let me know if you have questions."

Kevin - in the demos, the audio waveforms are displayed in the half-wave style. Is this a preference? Can it be set to display normal full-waves if we prefer?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:17:56 am

[David Lawrence] "Kevin - in the demos, the audio waveforms are displayed in the half-wave style. Is this a preference? Can it be set to display normal full-waves if we prefer?"

Rectified waveforms are the default, but you can toggle it off for traditional waveform display.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:23:47 am

[Walter Soyka] "Rectified waveforms are the default, but you can toggle it off for traditional waveform display."

Yay! :)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:24:15 am

It's been so long since I've heard anyone around here saying "yay" to much of anything. :-) Must admit, I'm very excited about this.

Transcript integration through Story is HUGE for doc work. Hope it works as well as they demo it.

I'm hoping they have audio volume key maps like in 7 and X. But if not, the clip mixer could work nicely.

Looks like there are a bunch of ex-FCP "classic" engineers now at Adobe furiously bringing it up to date. Hope it's as good as the tease makes it out to be. Still some missing features for me that I'll keep griping about (no find in timeline, built in 3-way cc is just plain weirdness, wanna gotta haveta open multiple projects)

I feel like I could cut something on it. Can't wait to "sync" my fingers into it. Yuk Yuk... oh hell, it's late.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:29:51 pm

[Michael Garber] "wanna gotta haveta open multiple projects"
You can import individual items from project files while viewing them in the Media Browser. Essentially, it's the same functionality.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:33:54 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "You can import individual items from project files while viewing them in the Media Browser. Essentially, it's the same functionality.
"

Does that include sequences?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:16:13 pm

[Steve Connor] "Does that include sequences?"

Yes! And the clips are linked to the master clips in the project you're importing to if they already exist.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:45:22 pm

[David Lawrence] "Yes! And the clips are linked to the master clips in the project you're importing to if they already exist."

That will be a very useful addition, they're certainly ticking off quite a few important items from my wish list

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:40:57 pm

Hi Kevin,

First off, everything looks very impressive. Looking forward to the release. Can you tell us when you'll announce the release date?

Regarding importing, well, it's kinda the same (but not really). In 7, I could open a project and just bring in a few clips from a sequence. Is that possible? Or would I need to bring in the entire sequence?

Is there a demo vid online to show the new way to import the from other projects?

Thanks.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:42:57 pm

Yes you can import, clips, bins or sequences from other projects :)

Cheers

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Senior Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:25:47 pm

[David Lawrence] "Kevin - in the demos, the audio waveforms are displayed in the half-wave style. Is this a preference? Can it be set to display normal full-waves if we prefer?"

Yes, in the panel menu, you can switch them back.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:19:55 am

Does the XAVC support include 4K?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:34:25 pm

[Steve Connor] "Does the XAVC support include 4K?"
Yes.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:38:03 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "[Steve Connor] "Does the XAVC support include 4K?"
Yes."

Great news, when will the release date be announced?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:47:31 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "[Steve Connor] "Does the XAVC support include 4K?"
Yes.
"

How about cinema dng support for the BMD camera and proper RAW control in Speedgrade? I like Speedgrade a lot and would like to use it more.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:54:57 pm

[Steve Connor] "How about cinema dng support for the BMD camera and proper RAW control in Speedgrade? I like Speedgrade a lot and would like to use it more."

Good question Steve, I really want to know this too... Kevin, will 12Bit CinemaDNG be supported in the next version of PPro and SpeedGrade?

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:43:31 pm

Speedgrade already supports CinemaDNG from BlackMagic Cameras.

Cheers

Dave

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:49:12 pm

[David McGavran] "
Speedgrade already supports CinemaDNG from BlackMagic Cameras."

Ah, good to know. It seems like most people are going into Resolve or Lightroom, then to PPro. Glad that SG is also an option... though it would be nice to have the option to drop c.DNG directly onto the timeline like .R3d. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:53:30 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Ah, good to know. It seems like most people are going into Resolve or Lightroom, then to PPro. Glad that SG is also an option... though it would be nice to have the option to drop c.DNG directly onto the timeline like .R3d. :-)
"

I'm no expert on Speedgrade but it seems very fast with dng files, faster than Resolve on my system. However it doesn't seem to have the RAW control that Resolve has

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:05:47 pm

[Steve Connor] "I'm no expert on Speedgrade but it seems very fast with dng files, faster than Resolve on my system. However it doesn't seem to have the RAW control that Resolve has"

That's helpful, thanks Steve. Now I just need the camera... waiting for MFT production numbers to ramp up. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:07:47 pm

It's worth the wait, it's a great little camera

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Brad Davis
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:55:12 pm

With the audio updates...Have you discussed/overhauled audio routing management? Primarily, we bring in a multichannel QT's. The audio gets reassigned in Premiere and exported to different than SMPTE. Also, have you addressed nesting 5.1 without to rename the sequence?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:07:44 am

Looking good! Clip audio mixer FTW!!!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:09:11 am

Lots of good looking (and much needed) stuff here - and it looks like the interface has been cleaned up a bit more.

However, the posts are maddeningly (ominously?) vague about whether audio key-frames travel with clips or are still registered only with tracks:

Take control of your sound with the Audio Clip Mixer. Adjust each clip independently for a perfect mix. Get hands-on with an audio control surface for precise control. A host of new real-time audio effects allow for even better sounding projects. Need more effects? You can use third-party VST3 plug-ins. On the Mac you can also use Audio Units (AU) plug-ins. The integrated ITU Loudness Radar from TC Electronic makes it easy to ensure that all your deliverables comply with new broadcast standards.

Franz.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:24:21 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Take control of your sound with the Audio Clip Mixer. Adjust each clip independently for a perfect mix."

I took this to mean that clip key frames are attached to the clip. I hope so. Otherwise, what would the point be?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:58:24 am

Yes the clip mixer creates clip keyframes :)

One of many many many new features that we hear from forums like cow!

Hope to see many of you next week!

Cheers

Dave

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:27:19 am

We've just posted a complete overview, including some interviews with Adobe peeps. I think you'll find it very interesting indeed.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:49:31 am

[Walter Soyka] "Native support for DNxHD MXF"

Yaaa-hoooo!! That makes my heart sing!

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
Cold Mountain moment?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:55:56 am

The press release mentions that the Coen brothers are cutting their next feature on Premiere Pro.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Cold Mountain moment?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:01:54 am

If by Cold Mountain Moment you mean "the film with a hugely impractical workflow requiring the massive efforts of an international team, a workflow so bizarrely complicated that it took an entire book to explain how they crawled over the software's glaring shortcomings," then, well, we'll have to wait and see. LOL

But probably not. Joel & Ethan's film may be analogous in that it's the first high-profile feature cut by an A-list director(s), but I predict that the workflow will be so much smoother as to be not even vaguely comparable to that previous ordeal. We may even need to start referring to "The Coen Moment." Maybe "The 'Premiere Pro Abides' Moment."

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:37:03 am

Nope. I meant a noospherical game changer...a cataclysmic paradigm torque that blows the frontal cortex off the mincing minions...a sublime moment when the teeter totters, awe descends, and the great eye mote blinks and knows the world anew. In other words, a delusional fugue that the marketing types love, and the easily impressed can ride when it suits their cult identification, and denigrate when it doesn't.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:02:47 pm

[Tim Wilson] "f by Cold Mountain Moment you mean "the film with a hugely impractical workflow requiring the massive efforts of an international team, a workflow so bizarrely complicated that it took an entire book to explain how they crawled over the software's glaring shortcomings," then, well, we'll have to wait and see. LOL

But probably not. Joel & Ethan's film may be analogous in that it's the first high-profile feature cut by an A-list director(s), but I predict that the workflow will be so much smoother as to be not even vaguely comparable to that previous ordeal. We may even need to start referring to "The Coen Moment." Maybe "The 'Premiere Pro Abides' Moment.""

ROTFL

How about "The Dude Adobes?" Or, dudes, rather.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:15:44 am

Hmmmm....

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:17:59 am

Nothing new on scopes (!) but they have added audio loudness monitoring.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:22:06 pm

Some interesting things here. I've already made my move to FCP X, but I like to see innovation across all video editing products.

For me the most interesting things would be:

-Story (but only if I can easily load interview transcripts and have it automatically sync with the video with minimal user input)
-Loudness meters (seems like it would be easy enough for every editing program to have this, but good for Adobe for making it actually happen)
-Project Browsing (opening one project at a time was a deal breaker for me going with Premiere, however I wonder how well it will really work)

I can understand how some people like the audio mixer (especially coupled with a desktop control surface). But for me, I've found I like fewer keyframes and don't like to "ride" levels. In FCP7 I rarely used the mixer anyways and preferred manual keyframing.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:47:50 pm

Loudness meters is great but I really hope they deliver on the SCOPES as well. This is vital for grading, finishing and mastering.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:30:35 pm

[Brett Sherman] "-Story (but only if I can easily load interview transcripts and have it automatically sync with the video with minimal user input)"

In theory that would step on patents by Nexidia (Avid ScriptSync, PhraseFind). So they would have to do it using a method that wouldn't violate the patent.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:37:43 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Brett Sherman] "-Story (but only if I can easily load interview transcripts and have it automatically sync with the video with minimal user input)"

In theory that would step on patents by Nexidia (Avid ScriptSync, PhraseFind). So they would have to do it using a method that wouldn't violate the patent."

Seeing as the guts of this feature has worked flawlessly since CS4/5 there's really no problem. Does it work well? Extremely well with decent sound! (my experience from prior versions).

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:40:26 pm

Click here and watch the video called: Adobe Premiere Pro and Prelude: Find clips faster based on a script

It seems to do what ScriptSync does, but in way more steps and with much less elegance. That said, it's a start.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:45:30 pm

[Michael Hancock] "It seems to do what ScriptSync does, but in way more steps and with much less elegance. That said, it's a start."

He shows it from Prelude. It can quickly be done inside Premiere by context clicking on a clip, selecting analyze, pointing to the story script and hitting enter. It's then analyzed in the bg by AME and done. Not too many steps, I think.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:50:03 pm

Not as many steps as the Prelude route, but still not as elegant as importing a text file and syncing footage directly to the script. The fact that you have to use Story complicates everything unnecessarily, in my opinion. But I am glad that the option is there - I just hope to see it improved and simplified.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]