FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX at the tipping point? Sync-N-Link X outselling Sync-N-Link says Intelligent Assistance

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
FCPX at the tipping point? Sync-N-Link X outselling Sync-N-Link says Intelligent Assistance
on Apr 3, 2013 at 11:19:24 pm

Are the “Pros” at the tipping point with Final Cut Pro X?
http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2013/04/are-the-pros-at-the-tipping-point-wit...

Note that Sync-N-Lynk X is a $200 professional batch audio and video syncing app using matching timecode. While sales of the FCP Classic has only dropped slightly (still indicating heavy use), sales the FCPX version has now surpassed it. Sync-N-Lynk for FCP Classic is $495.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: FCPX at the tipping point? Sync-N-Link X outselling Sync-N-Link says Intelligent Assistance
on Apr 3, 2013 at 11:51:15 pm

Dear Craig,

How many ways can you dance without numbers?

Don't make me numberwang.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: FCPX at the tipping point? Sync-N-Link X outselling Sync-N-Link says Intelligent Assistance
on Apr 4, 2013 at 12:23:54 am

While Phil didn't give specific numbers (which few private businesses ever do) he did make it very clear that they've been selling a particular tool for network level workflow use into the FCP-Legacy market for some time - and now that very tool is selling more for the FCP-X market then it's selling for Legacy.

Unless you're making the backhanded allegation that Phil lacks either honesty, integrity or credibility (the exact opposite of the truth in my experience knowing him for some years) - it's a view of real world sales that should be seen as carrying some weight.

Phil's not the kind of guy who needs to BS about anything.

So address the facts or not. But Craig's post is on-topic, and Phil's opinions are those of a legitimate developer who has done video oriented production tools for quite some time.

Simple as that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:00:34 am

[Bill Davis] "While Phil didn't give specific numbers (which few private businesses ever do) he did make it very clear that they've been selling a particular tool for network level workflow use into the FCP-Legacy market for some time - and now that very tool is selling more for the FCP-X market then it's selling for Legacy."

Yes, so we now know that you can sell more plug-ins for an actual NLE than for one that has been EOL'd for almost 2 years. Bravo. Since no one has bought a new seat of Legacy for almost two years I would imagine that selling new plug-ins for it is not exactly a robust business, sort of like booking dinner reservations on the Titanic the night it went down. It's good to see the X crowd raising the bar of their expectations - what's next, the news that more copies of X have been sold this year than SONY 9000's.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:15:46 am

[Herb Sevush] "Yes, so we now know that you can sell more plug-ins for an actual NLE than for one that has been EOL'd for almost 2 years. Bravo. Since no one has bought a new seat of Legacy for almost two years I would imagine that selling new plug-ins for it is not exactly a robust business, sort of like booking dinner reservations on the Titanic the night it went down."

So this must mean your contention is that everyone's stopped using Legacy?

So Herb, what are you cutting on these days?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 4, 2013 at 12:33:40 pm

[Bill Davis] "So this must mean your contention is that everyone's stopped using Legacy?"

No Bill, my contention is that no one is buying Legacy. There are no new users, and that's been true for almost 2 years now.

All the older users are
1) considering jumping to a new NLE and/or
2) have already bought the plug-ins they need.

Because of these facts no one is developing new plug-ins for this market and very few are still buying old plug-ins - why waste the money when you're going to be jumping ship soon enough?

Speaking for myself I now only buy plug-ins that are cross platform and that I can take with me when I make my move - I doubt I am alone in this strategy. Which is why I'm not surprised or impressed with the news that a given plug-in, no matter how high-end the workflow, is selling more to X than to Legacy. After all 1 is infinitely larger than 0.

The larger point, which I have been making for awhile now, is that comparing X to Legacy in any way is moot - it's like telling me a certain girl is prettier than a corpse - that doesn't tell me too much about the girl.

[Bill Davis] "So Herb, what are you cutting on these days?"

Legacy, for one more year, and not exactly thrilled with the notion.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:01:06 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Legacy, for one more year, and not exactly thrilled with the notion.
"

So even with the new updates is PPro still not suited for what you do?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:36:00 pm

[Steve Connor] "So even with the new updates is PPro still not suited for what you do?"

Still to soon for me to commit, since I'm hoping my next workflow decision will be good for 5 - 7 years. The list of improvements from Adobe is impressive, but I'll wait to hear from the hands on reviews before I get too excited.

I start my next season end of May and if history is a guide I doubt PPro 7 will be available at that point, and I'm not so crazy as to switch platforms in the middle of a year long project.

More crucially I'm waiting on Apple to either deliver or not the next generation of Mac Pro's before I decide on my next workflow - my next NLe just might be Lightworks on Linux. Or it might be either Avid or PPro on a PC. Or, heavens to murgatroid, it might be X on a new MacPro.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 4, 2013 at 12:26:41 am

come on craig.

Phillip Hodgetts has been known to give forth, at editing panels, from the audience, about where FCPX is supposedly going.

Mark Raudinos, as I recall, was at one. I watched as Hodgetts literally roared at the broad editing cross platform editing panel about FCPX from the audience.
He's pretty passionate.

Full confession: I've been - maybe over vociferous - on Hodgett's blogs, and rightly banned as a result. I duly apologised.

but: it is beyond ridiculous to view Phillip as a NYT op-ed when he is completely financially vested in FCPX across multiple software products.

No more than ripple training - he is a guy on the line chasing a very long tail of prosumer to mid level pro for software and training cash.

He's not an independent financial analyst - he's a guy trying to bump the FCPX ecosystem on his blog.

to be fair - most of this noise is emanating from the grave of FCP - it was a gold mine populariser - and so thats where you get phillip, steve martin and the ripple training guys trying very hard to reset the ecosystem for the mid term on their terms.

Personally?
I rather look forward to a good cottage industry of PPro supplementary software and training professionals over the next 24 months. Nicely mixed in with prelude, audition and the rest.

A changing of the guard as it were.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:31:32 am

I think everyone who's plugging *any* NLE has an agenda. There are people who like X and they say so. There are people who like Pr or MC and they say so. There are a ton of people who are very mad at mean old Apple for EOL'ing Classic, so their comments are driven to some extent by that agenda. Oddly, I don't read a lot of posts from X supporters, here or anywhere else, bashing other NLE's. I'm sure there probably are some, but most of the bashing is coming in the other direction. This thread is a perfect example. Craig posted a link to an article positing a *possible* positive sign for os X. It took um... one post to sh*t on it. Now it's time to pile on right?

I really like X, so I say so. I acknowledge it's shortcomings as I see them. And while I might bring up things I don't like about other NLE's, I don't need to piss all over them when I do that. It's really sort of pointless. I think Philip is just reporting what he sees. Does he have an ulterior motive? Maybe. So what.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:00:13 am

I wouldn't say that Mr. Hodgetts has an agenda so much as he has a vision: intelligent use of metadata makes post-production better. He's been building tools around this idea for years, and he's identified FCPX as the best and most natural fit around the kinds of workflows he's been preaching since before they were practical.

He and Greg Clarke are a couple of seriously brilliant people, and their work is making FCPX better.

Personally, I am glad to see people passionate about their tools and I hope to see them profit handsomely from their efforts to make great products that people want to use.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:05:30 am

[Walter Soyka] "I wouldn't say that Mr. Hodgetts has an agenda so much as he has a vision: intelligent use of metadata makes post-production better. He's been building tools around this idea for years, and he's identified FCPX as the best and most natural fit around the kinds of workflows he's been preaching since before they were practical.

He and Greg Clarke are a couple of seriously brilliant people, and their work is making FCPX better.

Personally, I am glad to see people passionate about their tools and I hope to see them profit handsomely from their efforts to make great products that people want to use."

Yep. Not only brilliant, but incredibly responsive to end users. Philips e-book, "Conquering the metadata foundations of Final Cut Pro X" is a great read. It's $5 though. The horror. :-0

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:00:31 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "steve martin and the ripple training guys trying very hard to reset the ecosystem"

I do have to say that one of my very favorite Avid tutorials came from Ripple. It was quite good.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:21:23 am

[Bill Davis] "So address the facts or not. But Craig's post is on-topic ..."

[Aindreas Gallagher] "... to be fair - most of this noise is emanating from the grave of FCP"

[Charlie Austin] "I think Philip is just reporting what he sees. Does he have an ulterior motive?"

[Walter Soyka] "Personally, I am glad to see people passionate about their tools..."

[Charlie Austin] "Yep. Not only brilliant, but incredibly responsive to end users."

Tipping point or not? I think that clears it up.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:24:39 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Tipping point or not? I think that clears it up."

Clear as mud.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:27:18 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Tipping point or not? I think that clears it up."

Bringing it back on-topic, I see. A clever ruse!

Tipping poing: The point at which a series of small ineffective changes acquires enough pressure or importance to cause a larger, more significant change.

I don't think that the changes to FCPX are small or ineffective, and while I have no doubt that FCPX has become more appropriate for more people, I'm not seeing any large significant change in my little corner of the industry, either.

My vote is no, not a tipping point.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:41:20 am

[Walter Soyka] "Bringing it back on-topic, I see. A clever ruse!"

Craig has an obsession about proving wide adoption (and Aindreas an equally rabid disavowal of same) - the thing is that Apple wants to keep it secret, so these are all exercises in fortune telling.

I'm interested either way, but I'm very much not interested in false numbers or hype.

To address Bill's point - the facts - what Phillip Hodgett's has claimed could be true for sales of 10, and it could be true for sales of 10,000.

Either figure would be interesting. Each would have a very different meaning.

Franz.

Edit - All of this, of course, dances around the issue of the ongoing comparison to Final Cut Pro 7 - released in in 2009, and since discontinued by Apple, as Herb has pointed out. One might choose a better standard for "tipping point".

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:47:00 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "To address Bill's point - the facts - what Phillip Hodgett's has claimed could be true for sales of 10, and it could be true for sales of 10,000.

Either figure would be interesting. Each would have a very different meaning."

Well said.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:53:36 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Craig has an obsession about proving wide adoption"

Not in the least. I look for beach heads. That's all. That's all I'd expect for FCPX at this point. I've repeating over and over again that it's going to be an attrition battle for FCPX.

I don't think Philip uses "tipping point" as any form of industry dominance. If you read the must recent comments from "Duane" and Philip's response, I think that's clear. Tipping point means "viable" not "dominant."

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:09:40 am

[Craig Seeman] "I don't think Philip uses "tipping point" as any form of industry dominance. If you read the must recent comments from "Duane" and Philip's response, I think that's clear. Tipping point means "viable" not "dominant.""

It seems to me that most folks referencing the "FCPX is not professional" line at this point are the ones trying to refute the same. With whom are they arguing?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:23:36 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "To address Bill's point - the facts - what Phillip Hodgett's has claimed could be true for sales of 10, and it could be true for sales of 10,000."

While this is certainly true, the sales of 10 copies into 10 facilities that do quality work at an upper level would also be more impressive than 10,000 sales to folks cutting cat videos. (And I say that fully aware that some folks making cute cat videos and using same to drive internet clicks to collect checks from Google AdSense are likely making vastly more money this week than I am.)

Lets not forget, lies, damn lies, and statistics, after all.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:03:01 pm

The information is interesting in that it show an uptick in usage, vs stagnant or declining.

FCPX hasn't reached widespread acceptance/adoption, but data points like this are a heathy indicator that the market is growing among a non-trivial group of users.

Philip outlined the data clearly.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:43:45 am

[Walter Soyka] "I don't think that the changes to FCPX are small or ineffective, and while I have no doubt that FCPX has become more appropriate for more people, I'm not seeing any large significant change in my little corner of the industry, either.

My vote is no, not a tipping point."

Given some of the other blog posts from Philip Hodgetts, I suspect he has a reasonably close relationship with Apple. Given his tools are "primary function" rather than glitzy plugins, he may be a very important roll player. Possibly filling shoes that Apple might have expected from Automatic Duck.

I'm wondering if his vision of "tipping point" is influenced by some things he might be aware of, not yet visible to us. He even hints at it in his blog when he mentions the push to get his tools out the door for broadcast use.... even though the immediate earning where meager for this tool for a while thereafter.

I suspect his relationship with Apple is reasonably close and they seem to be looking over his shoulder. That he's selling a tool geared toward higher end production with sales he finds reasonable, posting a blot just before NAB, at the time when Apple is supposedly stepping up its marking.... it's not coincidental.

Somewhere in there Apple spotted a beach head and Hodgetts has a role in it somewhere.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:49:47 am

[Craig Seeman] "I suspect his relationship with Apple is reasonably close and they seem to be looking over his shoulder. That he's selling a tool geared toward higher end production with sales he finds reasonable, posting a blot just before NAB, at the time when Apple is supposedly stepping up its marking.... it's not coincidental."

Coincidental, no. But maybe it's just marketing.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:02:20 am

[David Lawrence] "Coincidental, no. But maybe it's just marketing."

Yea, Apple marketing and Philip's as well of course... because there's something about to be sold and they can taste the buyers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]