FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Cloud is the future! Except...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
The Cloud is the future! Except...
on Apr 2, 2013 at 6:56:28 pm

... when it doesn't work. As i write this, YouSendIt, which tons of people rely on, is down. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Including mine, as I can't get to the VO I just read to cut into the spot that needs to go out now. Apparently WireDrive was down off and on yesterday as well. Yeah, I want my ability to work and meet deadlines tied to the vagaries of the internet. Not. </RANT>

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: The Cloud is the future! Except...
on Apr 2, 2013 at 6:58:48 pm

Wetransfer has been experiencing downtime too over the last few days, is there something going on I wonder?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 2, 2013 at 6:59:41 pm

[Charlie Austin] "... when it doesn't work. As i write this, YouSendIt, which tons of people rely on, is down. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Including mine, as I can't get to the VO I just read to cut into the spot that needs to go out now. Apparently WireDrive was down off and on yesterday as well. Yeah, I want my ability to work and meet deadlines tied to the vagaries of the internet. Not.
"

Been there. Feel your pain. I know that doesn't help. But, yeah.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:13:59 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Been there. Feel your pain. I know that doesn't help. But, yeah."

Fortunately this isn't a "have to get it on air now!" deadline, but it still sucks. Oh well...

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:04:49 pm

Aigh! I just did a test upload and the upload works - just the download fails. That's totally not scary. At least FTP still works.

Stupid interwebs!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:11:07 pm

[John Davidson] "Aigh! I just did a test upload and the upload works - just the download fails. That's totally not scary. At least FTP still works.

Stupid interwebs!"

Yep. I can see that the file is there, I just can't get it. And the best part is that the narrator basically hit send, put on his coat, and is driving somewhere and can't just email it or something. Wheee. I can't wait for the "Our activation server is down. Please wait an indeterminate amount of time while we try to fix it" message when I fire up my shiny new cloud activated NLE. You know, the one I will never in a million years use.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:34:30 pm

Charlie -

Have you tried SoShare? It's found at SoShareIt.com, and it lets you send up to a TB for free. You create an account - free - then you just email the link to the receiving party. I've used it on several large projects recently, and it works like a charm!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:38:44 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Have you tried SoShare? It's found at SoShareIt.com, and it lets you send up to a TB for free. You create an account - free - then you just email the link to the receiving party. I've used it on several large projects recently, and it works like a charm!"

Joseph, I signed up based on your recommendation, but haven't used it yet. Glad to see you still pimping it, because I plan to try it with the very next client who already doesn't have a pre-set solution I have to use.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:43:34 pm

I had an instance where SoShareIt was down for a day. Sent a file to the client and the link was dead when they got it. I couldn't log in and see that the file had uploaded, either. The next morning it was live again. Like anything - have a backup plan waiting. If a file just has to be there I send it through a combination of YouSendIt, SoShareIt, WeTransfer and/or FTP.

But SoShareIt was great when I had 24GB to send to somebody - took less than a day to upload and deliver.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:37:34 pm

Yeah, Gary. And I pay 100 bucks a year for my Dropbox account, too! It's not that I'm totally in love with SoShare at this point - it's still in Beta after all, and it doesn't have the "storage of critical files" capability that my Dropbox account has, since a file transfer only lives for 30 days...but that said, I've had some reaaally large files transfer to my clients in roughly 2 thirds or less the amount of time it took via Dropbox.

I think of it as a Dropbox alternative, when I've got really big stuff that needs to get there more quickly. And what I've liked about SoShare is that the developers get in touch via email to see how things are going, and ask for input - I sure don't get that from Dropbox!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:45:33 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Have you tried SoShare? It's found at SoShareIt.com, and it lets you send up to a TB for free. You create an account - free - then you just email the link to the receiving party. I've used it on several large projects recently, and it works like a charm!
"

Heard of them, but no. This problem is with the senders service, though I use yousendit on occasion We actually use Interdubs for our client approval and general transfer service, as we need the security features. They are, in a word, awesome. Not free, but waaaay cheaper than WireDrive, Beam and other similar services. Thanks for the heads up though.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:59:52 pm

Yup, it's not like the good old days when tapes never got lost in the mail, severe weather never delayed shipments and people never had to wait a day or two (or longer) to get their package. ;)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:55:54 pm

It was so much more reliable in the old days when you'd just wrap up the dub and UPS or FedEx would lose the package for you... Or the client wasn't there to get the package and had to wait an extra day to get it.

All time best story was when a shipper lost a 1" master which had to be rush shipped without a protection... and have it show up in the office 4 years later with a shipping label from Tokyo... this was a New York to New Jersey package!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:03:47 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It was so much more reliable in the old days when you'd just wrap up the dub and UPS or FedEx would lose the package for you... Or the client wasn't there to get the package and had to wait an extra day to get it.

All time best story was when a shipper lost a 1" master which had to be rush shipped without a protection... and have it show up in the office 4 years later with a shipping label from Tokyo... this was a New York to New Jersey package!"

Nice. lol Yeah, while we still use them, waiting for messengers isn't fun. The problem is we depend on the "tubes' so much now and there's the expectation that things just happen instantly. It's the norm now. So when it doesn't, havoc ensues. True for editing as well. Adding a couple dissolves when you're cutting on film used to take a day or more. Now? you're expected to do a complex multilayer matted green screen composite animated rotoscope shot in about 2 minutes. Which, of course, you can. ;-) I guess what I'm saying, is that I am old. :-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:20:10 pm

Louis CK on Conan last year, Everything is amazing and nobody is happy.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8m5d0_everything-is-amazing-and-nobody-i_...

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:27:17 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Louis CK on Conan last year, Everything is amazing and nobody is happy.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8m5d0_everything-is-amazing-and-nobody-i_.....

"

One of my favorite bits. I need to watch it at least five times a year just to remind myself to shut up already.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:39:03 pm

[Chris Harlan] "One of my favorite bits. I need to watch it at least five times a year just to remind myself to shut up already."

Mine too. I've watched it a number of times and it never gets old.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 3, 2013 at 4:07:07 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Louis CK on Conan last year, Everything is amazing and nobody is happy."

I think its older than that, but never more true.

I don't know the accreditation, but a number of years ago the story went around that a retiring or leaving-the-position flight steward issued the following departing message to the passengers (paraphrasing): Welcome to [city, time, and temp]. We hope you enjoyed your flight, and the next time you feel like hurling yourself through the stratosphere at just under the speed of sound in an aluminum tube, sitting on 3 tons of kerosene, please think of us, and thank you for choosing [airline].

Which is kind of the way it is.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:04:53 pm

Cloud computing is the way of the future. And it does offer a lot, not only in the world of video. But it does come with caveats. As one who works in IT, the biggest frustration is that you no longer have a piece of hardware to work with when things go wonky.

Time, that in the past was used to troubleshoot and run diagnostics, is now spent fighting your way through the many tiers of help-desk techs and opening trouble tickets. It is a feeling of helplessness. It is out of your hands. And you are not always sure you are getting straight answers. And when it will be fixed is anybody's guess.

Ah, the cloud, with its many wonders. I use it and am glad it is there. Still, in a way, it is like religion. You have to give up a measure of control and have faith it will work in your favor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]