FORUMS: list search recent posts

I would just wait.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Goodman
I would just wait.
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:17:17 pm

Im not sure why everyone is talking jumping ship, etc at this moment. FCP 7 still works and its only been two days so why not wait for the dust to settle or at least till the first update is released to see where apples head is at?

I understand people have businesses to run, etc - Hell i work at a major network which uses FCP 7, AVID, SMOKE, etc etc, and no one here is really freaking out yet. Imagine if they didnt release anything at all, we'd all still be in the same boat as we were last week, and would be continuing to work as normal. Still having to convert to Pro res ourselves with our un magnetic timelimes, etc.

Most of the work i do at work is on the Avid's but were still on version 3. For home and freelance i use FCP 7, i mean, honestly if you cant be versatile and switch back and forth between NLE's well thats a the biggest problem in itself. That said, am i gonna go home and buy MC 5.5 for freelance work? Hell no. I'll use FCP till it wont run anymore, then i will make that decision based on where the market is at that day, not where i think it will be. I just like FCP 7 better, but thats all personal preference.

I'll probably buy FCP x in the next few weeks or try it somewhere else to see if it works for, or is something id want to work with in the future, but for now im gonna keep on keeping on, until my clients and my network forces me to change.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
Re: I would just wait.
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:34:24 pm

1) If full support for your editing and finishing tool has been eliminated, would it be wise to continue working on big projects carrying forward that risk? Some of us will but there are other alternatives out there now very capable of doing all the things FCS3 did and more.

2) I think I can speak for a lot of people here who have been waiting patiently to move towards an NLE with more guts. This is not it, the patience has worn thin, gotta make a choice. The price point alone as well makes it easy. We can always return

3) I think a lot of trust was blown here. Pulling support and sales of FCS3 without any buffer to transition knowing full well the limitations is leaving a lot I'm sure soured. I'm stunned to be honest. We all know the counter-arguments, thanks apologists, yes it's typical to pull old product, but not like this. And without ANY warning...*knowing* X's limitations...

For myself, this is not what I want to do, Apple has just made my choice easy though. I look forward to them improving it, but I don't see how it can recover some of the things lost...it has no effin timeline! lol

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:37:14 pm

i see all your point and hope like i wasnt coming off ass an an apologist. Ive always hated apples way of doing things but always had to deal with it cause of the tools i like to use. Im ean, i also use Logic Pro on a daily basis, if they do the same thing to it and make it a garage band pro it would be a huge slap in the face as well. Im jsut saying before going out and spedning tens of thousands of dollars, just chill out for a few. Weve been waiting this long for an update, whats a few more weeks/months/maybe a year ?

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:44:37 pm

There really is no alternative though. The ground work is there right...?

It's not like they released a product even similar...yes they can build on it, but at the end of the day, it doesn't even have in the architecture to play well with others...

I think the "knee-jerk" reactions some have here are actually misconstrued. They aren't the ones in denial lol. They see not what they want to see, but how it is and if you are looking at it objectively, how can you really see it any other way...again, it has no timeline! lol

I didn't see you as an apologist at all. I see you simply as a rationalist. Sorry if I was harsh in my response. You are totally right, but then, so is Walter

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:50:26 pm

Understand what you are saying and I mostly agree. But that brings up the question of how long to wait?

I too, am completely miffed by the total lack of communications from the company on the matter. I only wonder what they might come out and say in the next week or two that would restore an inking of hope that they are not completely abandoning the pro market for iProducts?

Budgeting for next year is still a few months off, but it's going to become increasingly difficult to justify continued expenditures on Mac products. I work in a shop that is mostly PC's and had to sing and dance mightily to get FCP in the door. Now I'm wondering if I've just been torpedo'd by the tools I love.

A disturbing day at best.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:55:58 pm

Yea, i mean like i said, its up to the user how long to wait. For me, its when my profits start to slide, then i'll know. If all my clients start asking for Avid all of the sudden, then ill know its time to switch, but im gonna wait it out, take the new tool with a grain of salt, and hope hope hope its gonna turn into something great.

in the meantime, im still making that dough.

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:36:19 pm

[Neil Goodman] "FCP 7 still works and its only been two days so why not wait for the dust to settle or at least till the first update is released to see where apples head is at?"

+1 to that. And come to think of it, many pros (that bought FCP X) now have at least 4 NLEs on their systems to use; FCP 7, Adobe Premiere, FCP X and iMovie. All useful in some way. I remember when we were lucky to have one.

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:58:54 pm

Indeed. FCP7 still works, and only frustrates me on DSLR jobs anymore.

Thoughts of jumping ship to Avid or Premiere are thoughts of fear and uncertainty, but not based on any REAL need to do so just yet, unless I'm impatient and just need to have transcodeless DSLR or Red jobs right this second.

I see enough things I like in FCPx to give it another few months (months, not years) to get it's act together. If it doesn't then, after all this bad publicity, then I'll make a sea change in my business.

Jumping to Avid or Premiere right now is a guaranteed disruption of some sort. Sticking with 7 and FCPx later so far is just a "maybe" disruption.

Besides all that, I know I like the conventions and methods of Apple and it's media products. I tend to dislike Adobes, and don't understand Avids.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:12:19 am

honestly, it looks like it would be way easier to switch to Avid or Ppro and pick up the workflow then it would be to wrap our heads around the timeline in fcpx. Atthe end of the day, for all its unnecessary intricacies, Avid is alot like FCP interface wise.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:45:51 am

It took me one night to 90% figure out the new school, and to learn Position mode and work the old way if I like as well.

The new timeline isn't rocket science. It's a hierarchal system that let's you group shots together and move them around based on priorities.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

James Lenger
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:40:09 pm

I personally like the clean fill to it. It's great for all of the videos I make, however I can see why many people are complaining about it. Basically just an improvement of imovie. Luckily it was super cheap compared to what it used to be.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:21:27 am

But if it is just an improvement to iMovie, then isn't it actually more more EXPENSIVE than it used to be? I mean, iMovie was once free.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:35:54 am

@ Chris Jacek,
Are you the same Chris Jacek that came into my studio while you were on vacation here in Alaska many years ago? You were doing production work at the time, I believe for the Cowboys?

If so shoot me an email! rich at frostlineproductions dot com

if not.... just ignore this... sorry to waste your time.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]