FORUMS: list search recent posts

fix the Autosave function

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ransley
fix the Autosave function
on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:32:11 pm

Now that FCP-X has been shown to the world there is one feature that I would like them to fix and that is the Autosave function (not the Autosave Vault, it's OK)

I've been a non-linear owner/editor since 1993. Back then there was one feature that both D-Vision & LightWorks had that was just wonderful! Each edit was saved when created. If the power went out or if the system crashed none of my edits would be lost. None! Nor would I have to worry about saving my project every few minutes as I do now. Neither was there the intrusion of Autosave every few minutes. Now when my system crashes I get very frustrated knowing that I will loose the last 5 to 10 minutes of my work. (30 minutes if left in the default setting.)

If you are as frustrated with this problem as I am, I encourage you to write to Apple using the "Provide Final Cut Pro Feedback" under the "Final Cut Pro" menu. My hope is that this problem can be buried forever.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: fix the Autosave function
on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:08:12 pm

If X is like iMovie and most of apples newer apps, there isn't any saving. You'll probably be able to revert back or have an undo history but the idea of saving is probably gone.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 16, 2011 at 6:35:56 pm

Indeed, it saves every move you make...

Said so in the demo.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 16, 2011 at 2:41:16 am

[David Ransley] "If you are as frustrated with this problem as I am, I encourage you to write to Apple using the "Provide Final Cut Pro Feedback" under the "Final Cut Pro" menu. My hope is that this problem can be buried forever."

Autosaving and document versioning are standard OS-level features in Lion. Apps have to do a bit of work to support them, but I'd be surprised if FCP X didn't.

Digital Workflow/Colorist
You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Is FCP X a professional app? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Apr 16, 2011 at 5:40:44 am

Anybody experience , like me, the ASV just not actually working. Set the period, wait for an autosave. Nothing...

Might all be moot anyway with the release of Lion with "Autosave" and "Versions"

from Apple's website:

"Autosave" Say good-bye to manual saving. Auto Save in Mac OS X Lion automatically saves your work — while you work — so you don’t have to. Lion saves changes in the working document instead of creating additional copies, making the best use of available disk space. The lock feature prevents inadvertent changes from being saved and automatically locks documents after two weeks. And the revert feature returns you to the state the document was in when you last opened it, so you can feel free to experiment with confidence.*

"Versions" Versions records the evolution of a document as you create it. Mac OS X Lion automatically creates a version of the document each time you open it and every hour while you’re working on it. If you need to revert to an older version or retrieve part of a document, Versions shows you the current document next to a cascade of previous versions — in an interface similar to that of Time Machine — so you can see how your work looked at any given time. You can revert with a click, or quickly copy and paste work from a previous version into the current version.*

More info at Appleinsider.com
Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Auto Save, File Versions and Time Machine
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/01/insider_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_au...

Return to posts index

Steve Douglas
on Apr 16, 2011 at 5:14:02 pm

Automatically saves every hour? Heck I save every few minutes. A lot of work could be lost in an hours time. I rarely have ever had to use the Auto Save function but the few times I have since its inception, it always worked for me just fine.
Steve

Steve Douglas

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 16, 2011 at 5:41:04 pm

[Steve Douglas] "Automatically saves every hour? Heck I save every few minutes. A lot of work could be lost in an hours time."

Lion (with an app that supports the new saving features) automatically saves everything immediately. It automatically creates a new version every hour (that you can revert back to in the future). Or you can create a new version manually whenever you want to.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read What is FCP X’s relationship to iMovie? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Justin McAleece
on Apr 17, 2011 at 1:46:33 am

Sounds like a great idea. No doubt Apple will do it some day though and claim that they thought of it.

Justin McAleece
Production Manager

Video Production Services

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:37:49 am

I have Auto save set to 5 minutes. You can do a lot in a 5 minute time span. Never had any problems with Auto Save either.
Tom

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]