FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Plug-In maker chimes in on FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
A Plug-In maker chimes in on FCPX
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:58:08 pm

Just received this e-mail from FCP plug-in maker CoreMelt :

Apple released their latest version of Final Cut Pro on 22 June; Final Cut Pro X.

There's a lot of great new features, and we are investigating the best way of adding support for our current and future products.

Unfortunately, Apple choose not to give us any information about plugin support in FCP X prior to it's release today (22/6/11). We would like to support FCP X as quickly as possible, but until we have examined the work involved in detail we are unable to commit to any timescale for FCP X support.

We apologize for this situation which was beyond our control and not at all ideal to both us and to you, our valued customers.

However, let's be blunt, if you are a professional editor that works with R3D or other RAW formats, tape based ingest, has a hardware I/O board (BlackMagic, Kona or Matrox) or needs XML to work with RedCine X or to import from other editors, then FCP X is not yet for you.

It then goes on to reference many of the Cow articles posted on this forum.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
Re: A Plug-In maker chimes in on FCPX
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:08:42 pm

<>

No it's not, just like countless other first releases weren't on the dozens of systems we've run.

The key words are "not yet".

I'm quite sure that's why you're able to run 7 and X concurrently.

Major transitions and paradigm shifts are never seamless or acceptable to everyone.
I do think this will all be a lot more good than bad for most of us in the near future.

The pro features will be brought on line, the rest is whether you like Apple's vision going forward.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:13:10 pm

The pro features may sometime be brought on line, but the professionals will be gone, having moved on to others apps by that time. So its a moot point ;-)

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:16:20 pm

I'm sticking around to see what happens but it is quite odd that the hardware I/O & plugin developers have been completely left in the dark.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:18:01 pm

Chris -

but it is quite odd that the hardware I/O & plugin developers have been completely left in the dark.

Thank you, yes, that is the point.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:23:17 pm

And Noise Industries just guessed how to make theirs compatible from the get go?
I have a hunch some were privy and some were not.

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:28:34 pm

Thanks for posting this Herb. We don't have any inside information, but we suspect that even a company as large as Blackmagic Design did not get given early access. It's very strange that there is still no statement on BlackMagic Designs website about when or if they will support FCP X.

BlackMagic's low cost cards for Mac were one of the key partnerships that allowed FCP to dominate the editing marketplace, and it's inexplicable to me that Apple thought they would somehow benefit from not providing them early access.

Some people have asked us how it's possible that Noise Industries is supporting FCP X already. Quite simply they must have been given early access and as far as I know they are the only company that was. If we had been given early access we would have had plugin support ready at release day.

I simply cannot understand why playing favorites in this way benefits Apple or end users in any way, and the Apple management must be aware that they have created a huge amount of ill will among both development partners and end users by the way they have handled this release.

In my opinion Apple should immediately announce that will continue to sell and support FCP 7.0 and lay out a clear roadmap for putting back essential key features in FCP X.

-
CoreMelt V2 plugins

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:37:05 pm

[Roger Bolton] "BlackMagic's low cost cards for Mac were one of the key partnerships that allowed FCP to dominate the editing marketplace, and it's inexplicable to me that Apple thought they would somehow benefit from not providing them early access."

Apple always treated BMD as a nuisance so that's nothing. AJA was their buddy and what AJA released to support FCPX is much more revealing. Real Video I/O wasn't planned for FCPX by Apple and probably still is not.

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:12:24 am

Apple might not provide an SDI capture and output module for FCP X but I do believe that this will end up being provided by third parties (at a cost). FCP X is $299 but by the time you buy the add on's you need to bring back FCP 7 functionality it will probably still cost $999.

Again just an educated guess I have no inside information.

-
CoreMelt V2 plugins

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:38:43 pm

Hey Roger, I'm a big fan of CoreMelt. Just wondering if Apple has yet given you guys the info needed to start developing plugins for FPCX?

-Grant Gomm
http://www.blacklionproductions.com

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheffield
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:18:53 am

Speaking as a developer, we asked for months for any info about support for FCX. We were told by Apple engineers, "We can't say".

And yet - as others have pointed out, FxFactory obviously knew.

The info's out there now, but personally, I will require some time to evaluate the best way to support both FCP7 and FCX clients.

Patrick Sheffield
Sheffield Softworks

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:56:11 am

To add to Patrick's comments. I have beat my head against the wall trying to get early access for over two years. CoreMelt Complete V2 was a staff pick on the old FCP Downloads section and we have over 200 plugins available for FCP and Motion.

Basically in discussions with the relevant managers at Apple we have been told "sorry we only have so many beta slots, and they are filled". Hey, so how about create some more slots? Does Apple have to create diamond gem encrusted dongles for every beta partner and they can only afford so many? Otherwise I find it hard to understand this mentality.

In contrast, other host partners, Autodesk, Adobe and the Foundry freely give us access to beta's even when we have not yet shipped any products for that platform. The contrast is really night and day, and I know from private conversations there is a bunch of developer partners seriously considering if it makes any financial sense to keep working as part of the FCP ecosystem.

-
CoreMelt V2 plugins

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:07:37 pm

I can't understand why Apple would give some of developers access over others. It's self defeating.

You'd think Apple would understand the widest possible support from all FCP developers would improve FCPX acceptance in the market place. I can't see how secrecy overrides that. Developers understand NDAs.

Even Apple's obsession with secrecy doesn't justify how they've handled the developers. What "leak" could be more deleterious than the lack of support?

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:28:39 am

I think Blackmagic may have something to say about FCPX at tonight's Supermeet in London. I understand they are working with closely with Apple on this. More than that, I cannot say. But - it's inconceivable that support will not be forthcoming.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

james carey
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:54:06 pm

Received the same email as well. the Graphics card in my my two Mac Pros (ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT) are not supported by FCPx - another big sigh.

Jim Carey
Director of Video, Radical Entertainment
linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jcarey256
mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,17212/

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:29:39 pm

Well, if the plug-ins are based on FX plug, once Apple provides FXplug ability into fcp-x, the old and busted plug-ins will be useable again, no? I don't know whatn I'm talking about but it seems to me the plugs that were written with a standard like FXplug in mind should be translateable to some new standard, without needing a complete re-write for each plug? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheffield
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:50:55 pm

Yes, all plugins are now based around FxPlug2 - an expansion of the first FxPlug SDK. They must be re-compiled or re-built, and "Rigs" must be constructed for them in Motion 5, and these must be married to an installer. There are still outstanding questions amongst developers, but none of this should have been top secret. If Apple had provided a very small amount of information, vendors could have been prepared at FCX release.

FxScript plugins, of course, have been dropped completely. Apple could have supplied an FxScript interpreter FxPlug plugin, but why worry about that? Why worry about anything legacy? Like maybe FCS7 projects?

Patrick Sheffield
Sheffield Softworks

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:33:12 pm

Exactly, fxplug2 is basically the same api with 64 bit extensions, no surprise there. Having to wrap them in a motion template to work in FCP is a bit weird but whatever.

At this stage we are thinking we may be able to have at least some CoreMelt plugins available within 2 weeks but we won't commit to that yet.

-
CoreMelt V2 plugins

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheffield
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:43:49 pm

It's too bad the Motion templates can't be locked or protected in some way. I could think of some awesome development opportunities, but no way to protect them from piracy.

Patrick Sheffield
Sheffield Softworks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]