FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV/ FCPX /FCExpress

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
charlie steiner
HDV/ FCPX /FCExpress
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:04:44 pm

I shoot for a client who edits on FCE 3.5.1. I've been transcoding original HDV to SD QT's because he thought he couldn't edit HD. I think he should get FCP X and assuming his computer can handle it, first of all does anyone know if you can have FCE and FCPX on the same computer, or if he could import old projects into X? It's a pity to downgrade HD material, especially since he uses it to make videos he projects quite large for theatrical productions. Any advice on the best way to proceed to get him good video he can cut? I have Adobe Media Encoder CS6 and Sorenson Squeeze 8.5 and can make just about any flavor of video from the HDV files (mts or mt2t which Macs don't seem to like).

Charlie

Return to posts index

Viktor Kamenick√Ĺ
Re: HDV/ FCPX /FCExpress
on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:54:57 pm

I would go with ProRes.

"You never want to get to get a call from the editing room"
Art Adams

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:13:44 am

Final Cut Express handles HDV natively...they can capture it themselves as HDV, or you can deliver as HDV. HDV has the exact same file size as DV...so you've been cheating him this entire time.

:)

Unfortunately there is ZERO ability to transfer FCE projects to FCX. None...zippo. Can't even open FCE into FCP 7 and then use 7toX. They'd have to start new projects in FCX.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

charlie steiner
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:20:07 am

thanks.
I doubt sony m2t hdv (ie mpeg) files can be imported to FCE as they're not even recognized by fcp7, but will try converting to something similar as QT or H.264.
I don't know what OS he has but do you have any idea if one can install FCPX and keep FCE operational, so he could keep his old projects going while starting new ones on X?

charlie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]