FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX, Premiere Pro and Finishing Echo System

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Mena
FCPX, Premiere Pro and Finishing Echo System
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:05:17 pm

A few editors I know have come to realize that they need to finally let FCP7 go and turn to one of the other NLE's out there. Personally I love FCPX and can't wait to actually get paid to use it. Some of these editors I know are a little scared still to jump on board and feel safer moving to Premiere. So, as a result I have been checking both Echo systems out. Now, the workflow consists of the creative edit, Mix in Pro Tools and Color Correction with Resolve. I have found that if you edit inside PP and decided not to transcode, when you Media Manage your project and send to Resolve you're in for a world of hurt. Where as if you make your edit with FCPX at any time you can optimize media and have no problem sending to Resolve. This seems HUGE to me. Has anyone else encountered this?

My only problem now is not being able to import an XML from PP to FCPX. As soon as Apple implements broad support for it's XML I'll be golden.

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJitHxgajDS3y4C0gZjH_ZJihqPLHB32p

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCPX, Premiere Pro and Finishing Echo System
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:38:53 pm

Premiere doesn't allow you to Transcode the final sequence to a uniform and useful codec Resolve can understand?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:43:29 pm

Not easily. You can transcode it to a self contained quicktime and use an EDL to notch it in Resolve, but there's no media manager that transcodes to an intermediate codec. It's a huge hole in the Premiere workflow.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:46:09 pm

That seems like a fine solution...QT and EDL. I think we all got spoiled with how COLOR did things...send back clips with handles.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:50:47 pm

[Shane Ross] " That seems like a fine solution...QT and EDL. I think we all got spoiled with how COLOR did things...send back clips with handles."

This should be the norm across all NLE's not the exception.

Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:51:05 pm

A flattened file is fine until you encounter a dissolve your CC can't ride through without looking wrong.

John

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:52:26 pm

[Shane Ross] "That seems like a fine solution...QT and EDL."

It works, but I still prefer AAF or XML so you can render from Resolve with handles, just in case there are last minute tweaks. Plus it makes working with transitions easier - they aren't baked in.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:53:14 pm

I know...I like that too.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:47:46 pm

It's a problem. I just got a sequence from a client. the footage was made up of H.264 and Mpeg4. Resolve didn't see the mpeg4 codec. I can either trancode those clips then overcut(time consuming) or I can send as a flat file. The problem is that my client fiddles with his timeline so I'd like to export from Resolve with handles. FCPX for the win on this.

Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:49:42 pm

Tell your client that once you send for color grading, fiddling is done. Or, that they need to fiddle BEFORE you grade.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:51:34 pm

If that was only possible. I like the way you think!

Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:40:36 pm

[Shane Ross] "Tell your client that once you send for color grading, fiddling is done. Or, that they need to fiddle BEFORE you grade."

If only clients could actually understand that when you tell them!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:08:22 pm

It's just odd that X (and legacy) are still the standout in this field, whilst companies like Avid create problems if you use AMA, and Premiere is just a problem because it essentially only supports natives and doesn't have a transcode codec.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:12:25 pm

[Bret Williams] "companies like Avid create problems if you use AMA"

...and think that you can edit natively. That's the catch. AMA works fine and dandy if you transcode to Avid codecs. It's when people try to edit things natively in Avid (which lovely Avid Marketing says they can do!) where things get iffy.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:23:53 pm

If I remember correctly that's what Walter was trying to do. Edit AMA, then transcode to Avid codecs, then round trip to resolve. Which didn't work and even the Avid rep. That came to visit couldn't figure it out. So they had to send resolve flat files. They figured if they were going to have to send flat files they might as well switch to premiere and that's what they did. I just kept thinking that X would allow him to do what he wants, but the timeline is just too different I guess. And perhaps OMF and such is a pain in X, but audio in general can be a real hassle in Premiere too.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:59:06 pm

[Bret Williams] "And perhaps OMF and such is a pain in X, but audio in general can be a real hassle in Premiere too."

Not really. I mean yes, if you don't understand what you are doing, but its got a seriously good audio set up. It needs to support control surfaces, though. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:40:58 am

[Chris Harlan] "Not really. I mean yes, if you don't understand what you are doing, but its got a seriously good audio set up. It needs to support control surfaces, though. Maybe in a couple of weeks.
"

are you referring to X or PP, Chris?

nick

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:47:30 am

I'm referring to Premiere, though everything I said probably applies to X as well. Except I doubt we will see an audio control surface for X anytime soon. Since Audition can take them, I'm hoping the next version of Premiere will be able to as well.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:32:14 pm

[Bret Williams] "Premiere is just a problem because it essentially only supports natives and doesn't have a transcode codec."

It's true that Adobe doesn't have their own proprietary mezzanine codec, but you could use a Prelude workflow to transcode and avoid the perils of a native workflow.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bat-Sheva Guez
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:02:50 pm

What if we all posted a feature request to Adobe? Maybe they'd create this feature for us. We need the equivalent of a Media Manager that copies and exports your sequence clips with handles and transcodes on export.

Could you elaborate on the Prelude workflow? Is this something we could use as a workaround?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]