on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:18:08 pm

Downloading now!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: 10.08 released
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:21:29 pm

Highlights so far 4K XAVC Support ( we've just got a Sony F55) and a fix for the green frame bug

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:49:44 pm

[Steve Connor] "and a fix for the green frame bug"

Good. These green frames are killing me. And pink frames. (Is anybody else getting pink frames too, or is it just me?)

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:59:04 pm

-Ability to use key commands to adjust Clip Appearance settings in the timeline.

Nice. Just yesterday I really wanted key commands to increase/decrease clip height and was disappointed to discover I couldn't.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:26:34 am

Still can't unless I'm missing something. But you can apply the clip appearance to hot keys. I mapped waveform height to cmd+(up arrow) and cmd+(down arrow).

But clip height doesn't appear to be adjustable. Which is more what I would care about. Anyone see a command for clip height. Not the event browser one. For some reason they have a hot key for that.

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Mar 30, 2013 at 4:46:49 pm

Looks like I'm still disappointed. :( What would be the reason for not including this option among the zillions of other key commandable features?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:23:21 pm

At first glance, mostly a maintenance release. Interesting...

Return to posts index

Nick Gold
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:59:53 pm

There's a new Pro Apps Quicktime codecs release as well, which is really interesting to me, even if, as I'm assuming, they're just read/decode codecs for the third-party stuff. Has anybody played with this aspect of today's release at all, and gotten a sense of what it actually means for OS X users who have been having to deal with the slow migration of "Old Quicktime" to "New-Skool Quicktime" for the past few years?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:01:39 pm

"What's New" & "In Action" pages have both been updated as well.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:04:53 pm

How about this...

0.8 is the last version before 1.1 which will be previewed at NAB but will be a paid for upgrade.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:33:17 pm

Downloading at the moment -even if it just fixes coremelt flashes and crashes it will be useful.

[Michael Sanders] "0.8 is the last version before 1.1 which will be previewed at NAB but will be a paid for upgrade."

Well if it were a substantial update I'd be happy to pay. Probably better value than some of the plugins I've rashly bought over the last 2 years.

Return to posts index

David Lazaro Saz
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:44:11 pm

[Michael Sanders] "0.8 is the last version before 1.1 which will be previewed at NAB but will be a paid for upgrade."

¿Did you read that somewhere or are you speculating? Just curious because I can't find that at Apple's site.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:57:39 pm

Speculation.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:23:41 am

So what do you think they'll call the new app since its against the App Store rules to have upgrades. There is no upgrade structure or path in the App Store. Steve Jobs said so himself when he introduced it. It doesn't stop anyone from creating a new app with a different name, but it wouldn't be upgrade pricing because then anyone could buy it for the upgrade price. And that would mean discontinuing the previous app development or continuing to update and sell multiple versions of an app. I don't think the App Store wants you cluttering up the store with multiple apps either. So you'd have to discontinue one (and remove it from future downloads) and come out with a new app and a new name. I don't see any if it being a good marketing move for any company.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:03:33 am

I'm personally not betting on this being an issue until next year. I think we'll continue along the 10.0.X update path for a little while longer.

That said, under the current appStore rules there's only 2 options for a "10.1".

1. another free update to exiting users (basically the status quo)

2. Released as a new app at the full price. 10.0.X disappears as a purchase option for new users. But remains for existing users who don't upgrade as a path to updates or reinstalling the software down the road.

I think we'll have a clearer picture about the update based on what gets revealed at the NAB press event.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:28:03 am

[Marcus Moore] "NAB press event"

What NAB press event?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:39:18 am

The one they're having, from what I've been told. Press only.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:16:41 am

[Marcus Moore] "The one they're having, from what I've been told. Press only."

Has anybody else been told?

The only mentions I can find of an Apple NAB press conference involve time travel. So, if you have info, I'm sure we'd love to hear about it. It was fun coming across this old stuff. Times certainly have changed.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1014199/10nab.html

http://macenstein.com/default/2008/04/exclusive-pics-of-apples-nab-presence...

http://www.creativemac.com/HTM/News/04_00/applepinnaclematrox.htm

Here's the list of NAB news conferences, btw. Of course Apple is not an exhibitor, so they aren't on it, but if you want to see who is:
http://www.nabshow.com/2013/newsroom/news_conferences.asp

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:15:11 am

If you look back to last year, you'll see some articles from Larry Jordan, Scott Simmons, Philip Hodgets, and others about sit-downs they had with Apple- talking about where the software is at, and some roadmap previews. Expect something similar. I don't have any other details I can share.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:51:07 pm

[Marcus Moore] "If you look back to last year, you'll see some articles from Larry Jordan, Scott Simmons, Philip Hodgets, and others about sit-downs they had with Apple- talking about where the software is at, and some roadmap previews. Expect something similar. I don't have any other details I can share."

I'm well aware that they have their little talks. Every company in attendance at NAB does. I don't consider those "press conferences," which is why I asked.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:28:10 pm

Sure thing. It might be more than one-on-one briefings, but my info in vague in that regard.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:21:19 am

[Marcus Moore] "That said, under the current appStore rules there's only 2 options for a "10.1".

1. another free update to exiting users (basically the status quo)

2. Released as a new app at the full price. 10.0.X disappears as a purchase option for new users. But remains for existing users who don't upgrade as a path to updates or reinstalling the software down the road.

I think we'll have a clearer picture about the update based on what gets revealed at the NAB press event."

There is a third possibility, depending on how you count. They could keep offering free upgrades to the core product, but also start offering in-app purchases for new functionality. They could have a "Pro Workflow Pack" that enabled EDL and OMF exporting, etc. That would actually be a really interesting pricing model for an NLE — make it cheap for people to get in the door with the basic version, but allow instant in-place upgrading for users who need more advanced features.

And of course, there's a fourth possibility as well. Since Apple controls the App Store, they can change the way it works anytime they want to. If they really want to offer upgrade pricing, they can do it.

Lots of possibilities here. Personally, though, I think they'll keep giving updates away totally free at least until some point after the general narrative on FCP X shifts to a more positive tone. We can be quite certain that if Apple shipped a paid update right now with, say, EDL exporting, the response would largely be "How dare they charge for this! It should have been there already!" (Almost regardless of what other features the update offered.)

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:34:49 am

I'll bet they take the most profitable road. You can buy either FCP X or FCP Xtreme. The former, always $299. The second costs $599 because it has an extra 16gigs of onboard flash storage. Eventually they're rename iMovie "FCP X mini." And soon after that, the FCP X watch for editors on the go.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:45:33 am

[Chris Kenny] "And of course, there's a fourth possibility as well. Since Apple controls the App Store, they can change the way it works anytime they want to. If they really want to offer upgrade pricing, they can do it."

I can't remember which app it was (it was an IOS app for the iPhone) but a couple of weeks back, I went to install something I hadn't played with in a while and instead of the usual "Install" button, I got a message that there was a new version and an "Upgrade" button, which I had never seen before. That only seems a step away from a paid update so I'd be fairly certain the mechanism for paid upgrades is in the app stores, just not currently in use.

Even so, other apps have released new versions and had users pay if they want the new features. The version number is part of the app name so there's nothing stopping Apple from discontinuing FCPX 10.0 and releasing a new app called FCPX 10.1 that everyone needs to pay full price for if they want it.

And I agree with one of the earlier posters, I think if 10.0.8 squashes the last of the major bugs, then I think the next version will be 10.1 as a paid update with new features. With Apple starting a new advertising campaign for FCPX, I'd be surprised if NAB didn't at least feature a preview of things to come in 10.1.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:30:58 am

There's a hint in the FCPX EULA:
B. Apple, at its discretion, may make available future upgrades or updates to the Apple Software for your Apple-branded computer. Apple may provide you any such upgrades and updates that it may release up to, but not including, the next major release of the Apple Software, for free. With respect to this Apple Software, for example, if you originally purchased a license for version 10.0 of the Apple software, Apple may provide you for free any software upgrades or updates it might release (e.g. version 10.0.1 or 10.0.2) up to, but not including, version 10.1 of the Apple Software. After the next major release of the Apple Software, Apple may also at its discretion continue to provide minor updates and enhancements to the Apple Software. Upgrades and updates, if any, may not necessarily include all existing software features or new features that Apple releases for newer models of Apple-branded computers and may, at Apple’s discretion, be provided with or without charge.

Even if major updates require full re-purchases, $299 every couple years is a major bargain. Barring Lightworks (which I haven't spent any time with to know if it's a serious competitor), no one else has maintenance priced this low.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:33:03 am

Thing is, FCPX runs with so much lag on my 2 year old Mac Pro that the £200 bit of software has already cost me an additional £350 in ram and graphics card updates and still necessitates at least £3000 more for a new i7 iMac or, if they can ever be bothered to release one, a new Mac Pro.... Which actually makes FCPX a not very affordable or cheap software shift really.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 29, 2013 at 10:27:23 am

[Walter Soyka] "Even if major updates require full re-purchases, $299 every couple years is a major bargain. Barring Lightworks (which I haven't spent any time with to know if it's a serious competitor), no one else has maintenance priced this low."

This is very true, there's a lot of discussion about what might happen but if this was the worst case scenario then it's not a problem for me at all.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 31, 2013 at 7:09:06 am

[Steve Connor] "[Walter Soyka] "Even if major updates require full re-purchases, $299 every couple years is a major bargain. Barring Lightworks (which I haven't spent any time with to know if it's a serious competitor), no one else has maintenance priced this low."

This is very true, there's a lot of discussion about what might happen but if this was the worst case scenario then it's not a problem for me at all.
"

Yes, its a great deal. 300 bucks every few years is about the price of the traditional upgrade, anyway. Its a lot of software for the price. They could upgrade and do supportive maintenance in the same way they do OS X, just not as often.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:25:17 am

Re: in-app purchasing. That's an interesting idea, along with Alex4D's ideas about a in-app plug-in store. Though FCPX already catches a certain amount of flack from detractors for needing 3rd party software for things like AAF export and Legacy project import. So it would be a tricky balance. Collaborative workflow tools could be an interesting add-on. Since FCSv was always an additional product.

Apple could definitely add upgrade pricing. But the earliest timeline is likely to be an announcement at WWDC in June, with it perhaps included in 10.9 update in the fall. It's certainly my belief we won't see any 10.1 before then.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:23:07 pm

[Marcus Moore] " It's certainly my belief we won't see any 10.1 before then."

Fcpx 10.0.4 was released right before NAB last year.

I can't imagine that the folks at Apple would release an fcpx update, and then announce a new update a week later.

I agree that it will be a little while before we see a major update, and if I had to wager, it would be tied to a new hardware release, but I'm goofy for thinking that, just like you. ;)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:55:21 pm

Well that's actually what they did last year: Released 10.0.4 just before NAB, and then unveiled features for a future "2012" update in select press briefings. At the time, they were careful not to say "next" update, because that turned out to be the 10.0.5 update released at the June WWDC tied to Retina MBP.

So again, I think we'll see some product roadmap announcements- and we'll just have to watch their language to see what we can pull from it. After 2 maintenance updates in a row, it's a no- brainer that the next update will be feature oriented. If I had to guess, I'd say any features they'll talk about will either be tied to "June" or "Summer".

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:11:18 pm

Well my 2008 8 Core Mac Pro with lowly Ati 4870 GPU is playing back 4K XAVC in real time with CC and reframing applied!

Nice update, thanks Apple & Sony!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 30, 2013 at 8:47:31 am

Steve, as your projects get bigger do you experience the insufferable lag on your machine? I've reached a point in a current job where my soul sinks every time I get an amendment or tweak to do because of how frustratingly slow the project has become. I ask as you are running an older machine too, and I even maxed out my ram and got a far better graphics card and still no improvement.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 30, 2013 at 9:37:25 am

Julian, how big is your event? How many clips? and how long is the project?

I tend to break down long projects into 15-20 minute segments, things can slow down with larger projects.

The only impact I see if I have lots of clips in the event is that the event will take a while to load, large events don't seem to bog down projects.

I keep waveforms off unless I'm working audio and keeping the inspector closed can help with speed as well

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:02:40 am

I am running two films and splitting each into 5 parts which run from 2 minutes to 10 on average with one at about 18 mins.

As for cuts, a fair amount, but what I consider normal from 10 years of doing this. I use CC and looks filters. I have transitions and some PinP. I hav some text overlaid here and there too.

Background rendering is off and waveforms are on as I use them as a guide quite a lot in terms of trimming dialogue clips etc.

Playback is ok, when it gets going, but it is the general lagfest that is driving me to despair. I literally click something and have to wait a second or two (sometimes a little more) to get a visual representation of what I have done. In the filters I can click the transitions tab, click the all option, type my text into the search box then about 4 or 5 seconds later the text will appear in the search box and same amount of time again for the filters to appear.

I'm figuring i need a new machine though I am loathed to spend £3k if FCPX is just laggy, but I just don't understand how other people are not whining about this all the time, so either they are a) very accepting of lag (unlikely) b) running newer machines or c) my Mac Pro happens to just be unfortunately really shite.

I can't bare to continue like this though, which makes me feel really fond of Apple's insane silence about anything they are going to release as I am stuck between an iMac now just to be able to work properly or waiting an indeterminate period of time suffering with this lag in the hope the 'awesome' mac pro is just that, rather than a fart in a tea cup.

Ah, I do love how Apple stand behind my business like a foundation stone made by the gods.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 30, 2013 at 12:12:11 pm

Do you mean Magic Bullet Looks filters?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 30, 2013 at 12:25:21 pm

No, just other filters. Think I was using an Easy Looks one and a mLooks one. Magic Bullet don't work (though they may have just started working from an ad I saw recently).

I truly believe it is just my Mac being crap, despite it not really being crap, but FCPX the software being the £200 part of a £3000 bit of software (when hardware is taking into account). At least I hope it is because I may go postal if I buy a new mac and FCPX still runs with so much lag. And believe me, though it is still very buggy and has some utterly naive/idiotic/flawed design decisions, on the whole it is a pretty decent way to edit now at 10.0.7 with some great features, and for a one man show such as myself is a good contained editing eco-system with plugins, Motion etc., it is just totally mickey mouse on my MacPro for working on proper video projects, whereas FCP7 and CS6 both worked without any lag whatsoever... and this is truly a tad frustrating.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 30, 2013 at 4:09:35 pm

I run FCPX on a 2008 MP, not even fully loaded with RAM. I work on 26' video documentaries, sometimes starting with tons of clips that live in the documentary event. Waveforms on, background rendering on. I feel sometimes FCPX gets sluggish after long hours, but not all of the times, and not during normal work. When it happens, I quit FCPX and restart the OS. But it never gets unresponsive up to the point it really is a problem, just a bit slow.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:45:14 am

Julian, if you "render all" on the project does it improve the responsiveness significantly?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:50:29 am

Can't say but will check mate. To be honest playback is never really an issue so I rarely render, unless I need to check lip sync for example. Especially as exporting doesn't need rendering and someone did a time trial on render + export versus export only and export only was quick.

I will render out some of my timelines today though and have a look properly tomorrow as I have some more client tweaks to do.

Cheers, will report back soon.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:58:32 am

There is clearly an issue there, it's just nailing down which bit of your system or workflow it is. I know some filters are a pain, I have to render any MB Looks filters I apply to make the clips usable ( I also have to do this in PPro).

Your system certainly isn't the fastest, but it shouldn't be as bad to use as you describe.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:05:03 am

Indeed not. The issue is lag not playback though.

Do we have mac video tech type people in the uk we can hire to Coe in and mac my mac run properly for X? Is that a service done by people here and if so what do I google :)?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:44:27 am

Is it lag on edits and adjustments as well as before playback?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 1, 2013 at 1:52:25 pm

It would also be useful to do a disk speed test on the drive you are using for media.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:41:49 pm

[Marcus Moore] "So again, I think we'll see some product roadmap announcements- and we'll just have to watch their language to see what we can pull from it. "

We'll see. It's a bit different this year, they don't have to play as big of a game of "catch up". The amount of pre-announcing of upcoming features that was done by Apple was pretty unprecedented. It has now stopped.

I'm sure they'll be taking meetings, I'm sure they'll have big name interest, I'm sure we will get scant details.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 2:41:54 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "We'll see. It's a bit different this year, they don't have to play as big of a game of "catch up". The amount of pre-announcing of upcoming features that was done by Apple was pretty unprecedented. It has now stopped.

I'm sure they'll be taking meetings, I'm sure they'll have big name interest, I'm sure we will get scant details."

I think they're still playing catchup in some areas- obviously less than a year ago.

Pre-announcing hasn't changed yet. 10.0.3 features were announced with 10.0.2. 10.0.6 features were announced at NAB just after the release of 10.0.4. So if we get some feature previews at NAB next week, then nothing will have changed.

Last year's meetings were on the record, and I don't expect that to change this year, especially if Apple is doing a PR push.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:32:07 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I think they're still playing catchup in some areas- obviously less than a year ago. "

"Industry perception" is the biggest area they will need play catch up. :) Although, if you look hard, you can see evidence of bigger outfits taking FCPX for a legitimate spin.

[Marcus Moore] "Pre-announcing hasn't changed yet. "

It certainly has. In the early days, at the bottom of the apple.com/finalcutpro, you could see the features that were coming next (multicam, XML, etc and so forth).

[Marcus Moore] "Last year's meetings were on the record, and I don't expect that to change this year, especially if Apple is doing a PR push."

No question, but I bet it will be limited info.

None of the features that Larry Jordan mentioned were demoed.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/1800

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:04:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It certainly has. In the early days, at the bottom of the apple.com/finalcutpro, you could see the features that were coming next (multicam, XML, etc and so forth).
"

Jeremy, Apple has only pre-announced features twice.

1. On the release of 10.0.2 in November of 2011, they announced Multicam and Broadcast Monitoring coming "Early 2012"- these ended up being features in 10.0.3 released in January 2012.

2. On April 15th, 5 days after the release of 10.0.4, Apple had sit-down meetings with Larry Jordan and others and pre announced Multichannel Audio Editing Tools, Dual Viewers, MXF Plug-in Support, and RED camera support coming "2012"- which ended up being released with 10.0.6 in October 2012.

You might be getting confused about the Q&A document that Apple released shortly after the 10.0 release shitstorm in June 2011. In it, Apple did make assurances about certain technologies (like XML) would be returning to the software, but those were never specifically pre-announced or listed on Apple's site before they were released in 10.0.1.

So IF Apple pre announces features next week to press, then they're pattern won't have changed at all. Pre-announced features have never been demoed. Though they might be this time. We'll see.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:29:32 pm

Thanks for reminding me, I thought the list of pre announced features were extended beyond 10.0.3 on apple.com, but maybe they did not.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:01:33 pm

Yeah, the first time they posted stuff on the site was after 10.0.2. Then after 10.0.3 was released, there was nothing on the site until after the 2012 NAB announcements. Then nothing since 10.0.6 was released.

So it will be interesting to see what gets announced at NAB and how vague the time-frame is.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:04:03 pm

[Marcus Moore] "So it will be interesting to see what gets announced at NAB and how vague the time-frame is."

Scant, I tell ya. Scant! ;)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:35:45 pm

With a PR push they're going to have some kind of hype even if it's around roadmap features.
There may also be hype around third party support of some sort and some rumors pointing to a new or upgraded app related to FCPX.

As a compulsive speculator I think the next big FCXP feature update will be around OS 10.9 and maybe the MacPro. I'd expect there will be some advantage to having 2 GPUs (hence the MacPro tie in). Think the return of multiple real time scopes (this is the kind of thing that could be in a roadmap list).

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:14:40 pm

For sure. We've already heard about the new Mocha/Coremelt roto plugin, and Philip Hodgets Lumberjack logging plugin for reality and documentary.

And motionVFX has been hinting about something big.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 29, 2013 at 10:37:09 pm

Ultimately, I think Apple didn't want to go into NAB with an NLE that had a major bug that prevented third party plugins working properly. With that fixed and some 'pro' level niceties added in they're all set to push FCPX via their marketing campaign.

Again, I'd expect at least some hinting at the roadmap for the future. Especially if they plan to do anything with collaborative editing and improving the audio workflow - which I would think are probably the two most used reasons for not considering FCPX in a larger facility.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2013 at 10:54:06 pm

Agreed. Collaborative and audio are the low hanging fruit right now.

Dynamic trimming keeps coming up as well.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:33:35 pm

It now reads TCSource aka the original QT/FCP7 Reel/Tape entry. It's populating the com.apple.ProAps.Reel field so it must look there first and then TCSource. I'd assume if the two were different it would use the com.Apple... entry.

Thank You Apple!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:15:21 pm

[John Heagy] "t now reads TCSource aka the original QT/FCP7 Reel/Tape entry. It's populating the com.apple.ProAps.Reel field so it must look there first and then TCSource. I'd assume if the two were different it would use the com.Apple... entry.

Thank You Apple!"

Yes. Thank you, Apple.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:10:35 pm

Agreed. Also for Alexa files, the LogC-to-REC709 processing is a very useful touch.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:37:09 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Agreed. Also for Alexa files, the LogC-to-REC709 processing is a very useful touch."

Yup, both this and the new reel name support are a big deal for indie feature film workflows.

Between this, the R3D support, and the built-in proxy/optimized media generation features, there's not much of a case left for externally created offline editorial dailies. That's a pretty big change in the feature world.

--

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:09:48 pm

[Chris Kenny] "Between this, the R3D support, and the built-in proxy/optimized media generation features, there's not much of a case left for externally created offline editorial dailies"

While true, that's still only specific to an FCP X workflow.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:53:34 am

[Oliver Peters] "While true, that's still only specific to an FCP X workflow."

Well, yeah, that's sort of my point. There are productions spending many thousands of dollars getting footage transcoded because of the NLE decisions they're making, where with FCP X they could simply take the footage off the mags, load it onto a MacBook Pro, and start cutting, as proxy media (which they could seamlessly toggle over to) was automatically generated in the background.

Of course as a post house providing such transcoding services, we don't mind the standard approach too much (heh). But the next time I'm speccing the workflow for one of our occasional internal end-to-end projects, I'll absolutely skip the traditional dailies workflow. Even despite the fact that we can do all of it without paying an outside vendor. Skipping it should save considerable time, and there's much less that can go wrong e.g. taking a project into Resolve if the sequence coming from the NLE already contains references to your online media.

This is the future — digital cinema workflows with high-end media formats made nearly as simple as downloading and editing together some clips from your phone.

--

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:11:51 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Agreed. Also for Alexa files, the LogC-to-REC709 processing is a very useful touch."

Nice!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:58:10 pm

BTW - if you use MB Looks, make sure you also install the updated version.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 30, 2013 at 1:34:05 pm

I do find all the news coming to FCPX nice touches. However the app still has MASSIVE underlaying issues that Apple has to address.

1. Slow / lagging / sluggish playback on even the lastest systems.
2. Odd workflow workarounds for how to overcome the above or how the app handles media and files.
3. General buggy ness.

Fixing audio or collaborative solutions would be nice. In my book getting the app fast and responsive would be 10-times more worth.

I'd like to see 10.1 be fast, fluid and bug-free. Then they can add extras. I guess I was hoping for to much but even on a decked out iMac 27" the app is still laggy. That's NOT acceptable IMO. And it's far from acceptable that an editor should require this kind of machine and still be relatively unresponsive. Yes, again, there are certain workaround. Dissabling a/v output for starters removes a huge amount. Still I find it shocking that they didn't have this in mind when designing the app or patching it up the past 2 years.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Mar 31, 2013 at 2:32:18 pm

Is there an update to MB Looks?

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2013 at 2:40:58 pm

It seems the most recent update is from 3/21 which, interestingly enough, was a week before the FCPX update.
http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/magic-bullet-looks/updates/#tabs

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:19:37 pm

Does anyone know what the Pro Apps Quicktime Codecs update does? Does it add something, does it make certain export-processes faster? Or is that also a kind of maintenance update?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:43:45 pm

XAVC is an important codec for Sony F5 and F55 users.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:53:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "XAVC is an important codec for Sony F5 and F55 user"

It certainly is, spent the day shooting with the F55 and the codec works very well in FCPX, only about 12fps in High Quality mode with CC applied, but at "better performance" it's pretty much full frame rate, even on my old 2008 MacPro. Codec seems very resilient to grading.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]