FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple to launch new PR campaign for FCPX leading up to NAB.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Moore
Apple to launch new PR campaign for FCPX leading up to NAB.
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:53:53 pm

Suppose to start today, though nothing has changed on the website yet. The only element specifically mentioned is 3 new "In Action" stories.

Cavat- there's a couple inaccurate bits of info about pricing and support.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple-final-cut-20130328,0,2837576.st...

More news leading up to what will be hopefully an interesting NAB for FCPX users.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
Re: Apple to launch new PR campaign for FCPX leading up to NAB.
on Mar 28, 2013 at 3:51:20 pm

Mmmm, with NAB round the corner one can only speculate what's coming in the next few days.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:42:16 pm

[Michael Sanders] "one can only speculate what's coming in the next few days.
"

New Mac Pro and FCPX 10.1?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:59:43 pm

[Michael Sanders] "one can only speculate what's coming in the next few days.

An actual apple with a thunderbolt connection that streams juice out over a giant magnet.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:02:35 pm

This news might make Adobe show their hand a bit earlier than planned?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:03:39 pm

I'd be insanely surprised to see hardware at NAB. I think the release date for that is going to be totally based on what processor is inside the thing. If it's the new Xeons with TB and USB3 support, forget it until this fall. If they've come up with a solution that works with the current processors, then... but Apple has typically waited for on-chip support.

As for FCPX... an update, yes. But I'd bet against 10.1 for a bunch of reasons covered before.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:12:22 pm

[Marcus Moore] "As for FCPX... an update, yes. But I'd bet against 10.1 for a bunch of reasons covered before."

If Apple are going to have a marketing push that just features a few new user stories and nothing else, then it's going to get a bit lost in all the other stories coming out of NAB.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:16:47 pm

I think it will be a feature release, just not 10.1.

From a PR perspective, does it make more sense to release an update next week BEFORE NAB, so that the new features are out there to be talked about. Or will Apple hold press briefings like they did last year about features that will be updated either during or shortly after NAB.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:57:25 pm

Agreed. Let's see what this weekend brings. Apple has typically done it's press briefings on the Sunday. So we should hear about any announcements in the next few days.

With Adobe just announcing CS7 improvements (which keep in mind won't be released until the fall), and DaVinci announcing expanded online features for Resolve 10- let's hope that Apple has some exciting announcements of it's own to make if this PR push is going to have any substance to it.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:27:19 pm

[Marcus Moore] "With Adobe just announcing CS7 improvements (which keep in mind won't be released until the fall)"

Has the fall release been announced?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:38:32 pm

[Marcus Moore] "and DaVinci announcing expanded online features for Resolve 10-"

Yes, BMD could yet be the surprise outsider in the race, I really hope so!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:08:46 pm

[Marcus Moore] "With Adobe just announcing CS7 improvements (which keep in mind won't be released until the fall)"

Where are you getting info on a release date or window from?

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:14:22 pm

[Chris Harlan] "[Marcus Moore] "With Adobe just announcing CS7 improvements (which keep in mind won't be released until the fall)"

Where are you getting info on a release date or window from?"

Yes, where? That would be way out of keeping with their history of releasing shortly (a month or two) after NAB.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:28:02 pm

I thought fall had been mentioned to me- but looking back over correspondences I don't see it. I don't see it launching though. Just a preview-

Hopefully Apple has some stuff to demo for their press briefings, and not just a verbal list.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:26:46 pm

Looks like no 10.1!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:55:28 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Looks like no 10.1!"

Perhaps that's what the rumoured 'secret briefings" are about at NAB

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:00:26 pm

Not rumoured.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:23:37 pm

The article got one notable thing wrong. It says that after X's NAB introduction, "the backlash was swift and fierce."

But actually, that backlash came when the software launched a few months later. At the NAB demo, I remember there being a lovefest from a lot of corners. People liked what they saw, and couldn't imagine that so many "take for granted" features wouldn't in fact be taken for granted by Apple.

I'm glad to see Apple making a marketing push. Maybe they're release 1.1 as well.

-------------------
Los Angeles Cameraman
Canon C300 (x2), Zeiss CP.2 lenses, P2 Varicam, etc.
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:43:34 pm

Were you at the Supermeet? Half the room cheered, the other half (my half) was in shock. And I recall the initial feedback being bad (Mine sure was)...and it got worse when it actually came out.

Ah...I was lukewarm to it:

http://lfhd.net/2011/04/14/fcp-x-first-reactions/

But when it actually came out in June...yeah...I was done.

http://lfhd.net/2011/06/24/fcp-x-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish/

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:28:01 am

I wasn't at the meet, but I watched extensive video of it, and I certainly remember seeing and reading from multiple sources that Randy's presentation received a standing ovation at the end, when the price was revealed.

To get a standing ovation from an audience is rare and a mark of approval. But fast forward two months later to June and hardly anyone was feeling in a "standing ovation" kind of mood. That's when the community in general began hammering Apple. That's when we got the Conan Obrien spoof, the "Apple misfires" articles on CNN, WSJ, etc., the Walter Biscardi post that received 207 replies, the creation of this forum, etc.

All I'm saying is it was June when the sh*t hit the fan for Apple & FCP, not April. I remember hearing a lot of people very enthusiastically talking about the X presentation at NAB, and those people who weren't enthusiastic were largely taking a wait-and-see attitude. But by the ship date in June, the reaction became fierce and angry.

-------------------
Los Angeles Cameraman
Canon C300 (x2), Zeiss CP.2 lenses, P2 Varicam, etc.
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:33:00 am

[Helmut Kobler] "All I'm saying is it was June when the sh*t hit the fan for Apple & FCP, not April. I remember hearing a lot of people very enthusiastically talking about the X presentation at NAB, and those people who weren't enthusiastic were largely taking a wait-and-see attitude. But by the ship date in June, the reaction became fierce and angry.
"

The ruckus began immediately, but didn't go nuclear until June, when a whole lot of worst fears were confirmed, and then, boom. Below, I offer proof of the deep concern that was being felt here in LA right after the super meet.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:59:03 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "The article got one notable thing wrong. It says that after X's NAB introduction, "the backlash was swift and fierce."

But actually, that backlash came when the software launched a few months later. At the NAB demo, I remember there being a lovefest from a lot of corners. People liked what they saw, and couldn't imagine that so many "take for granted" features wouldn't in fact be taken for granted by Apple.
"

There was immediate negative reaction, mostly worry, along with the hope that we were only being shown a small part of the coming release. The reason that you only heard cheers at the demo was that stunned silence doesn't make a lot of noise.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:02:46 pm

[Chris Harlan] "...along with the hope that we were only being shown a small part of the coming release."

This. ^

I was texting with a buddy who was at the Supermeet for the announcement. We were both thrilled at the possibilities being shown. We assumed the demo was of a fraction of the features of the release. We thought we were just seeing important new features. I believed that for months after NAB. It was inconceivable that the demo *was* the release.

I think if Apple had been more honest about what they were showing and what they intended to do to FCP Studio, the reaction at Supermeet would have been much uglier.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:30:09 pm

The stark concern was so immediately evident, that I actually wrote Steve Jobs:

"On Apr 19, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Chris Harlan wrote:

There is a great deal of fear in the professional Final Cut Pro community, after last weeks demo, that they have been abandoned. In certain circles, it is bordering on panic. I'm certain that that is not what the demo meant to engender, but, unfortunately, it has."

His answer, later the same day, was:

"The feedback we are getting from the Pro customers is very positive."

So, yeah. The article got it right.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:36:37 am

[Marcus Moore] "Suppose to start today, though nothing has changed on the website yet. "

I believe this is what you all are looking for:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:04:52 am

[Chris Harlan] "I believe this is what you all are looking for:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Wow Apple needs to fire the person that did the layout for this article! The giant picture above the headline shows ------ 2 AVID Pro Tools Rigs AND an AVID Euphonix Mixing Console ---- and no FCP setups... The other screens are the Euphonix automation system.

Ok well there are two Apple cinema displays in the picture but they are for for the Pro Tools rigs! Seriously bad photo choice for an article about how FCPX oriented this facility is...

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/electric/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:12:56 am

ON the contrary...I think it shows how FCX integrates with the Hollywood workflow...something that will get the attention of the "elite" 2% of the FCP userbase.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:15:27 am

[Shane Ross] "ON the contrary...I think it shows how FCX integrates with the Hollywood workflow...something that will get the attention of the "elite" 2% of the FCP userbase."

I was talking about the photo at the top of the article. Its shows a bunch of AVID products but no FCP, even though the article is about FCP...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:52:36 am

[MIke Guidotti] "I was talking about the photo at the top of the article."

I know exactly what you are talking about. The main photo for LEVERAGE, where they are all looking at the big screen, with an explosion on it. Again, it's showcasing the company...and shows that FCX works with ProTools (with a third party app, sure)...but that it can work.

Not that I know of anyone other big productions than Leverage...which got cancelled...that used it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:21:37 am

[MIke Guidotti] "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
"

Yes, I had a similar reaction. I'm guessing they chose it as the main photo because it says bigger budget, and "see, we work with ProTools." But yeah.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:49:21 am

[MIke Guidotti] "Wow Apple needs to fire the person that did the layout for this article! The giant picture above the headline shows ------ 2 AVID Pro Tools Rigs AND an AVID Euphonix Mixing Console ---- and no FCP setups... The other screens are the Euphonix automation system."

The fact that FCP X can be integrated into standard workflows was one of the major points the article was making. "FCP X can't fit into standard workflows" is a common part of the critics' narrative. So it seems to me that showing a project originating from FCP X being taken into a high-end finishing suite is rather more relevant than making sure to use a shot of a couple of monitors with the FCP X interface visible on them. The fact that FCP X can display its interface on a monitor is not in contention....

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Mar 29, 2013 at 2:18:07 am

[Chris Kenny] "So it seems to me that showing a project originating from FCP X being taken into a high-end finishing suite is rather more relevant than making sure to use a shot of a couple of monitors with the FCP X interface visible on them. "

I hear where your coming from since it's a re-recording stage and not an edit suite. I still think it was a bad choice to show a photo full of your competitors products instead of your own at the top of an article about yourself (you referring to Apple of course). If I had done the layout that picture would have been buried further down in the article.

Please take in to consideration I am bashing the article layout, not any particular piece of gear/software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]