FORUMS: list search recent posts

Learn FCP 7 or switch to X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Ruffell
Learn FCP 7 or switch to X?
on Mar 27, 2013 at 6:03:29 pm

Hi, I know the basics of Final Cut Pro 7 and now plan to get more into it for videos for my magazine's website. I've got the software on my work computer but is it worth investing the time to learn more advanced skills when this program is now outdated? I hear newer programs are totally different. My work would cover the switch to FCPX or Premiere Pro. Should I switch over? If so do you recommend FCPX or Adobe?

Return to posts index

Andy Field
Re: Learn FCP 7 or switch to X?
on Mar 27, 2013 at 6:39:28 pm

FCP 7 is frozen in time - file formats, apple system upgrades and a host of plugins may not or won't be supported going forward. If you're willing to freeze your system software and hardware where it stands - then stick with FCP7 and keep editing - nothing will break - but you'll eventually hit a wall with future file formats that may no longer work with FCP7

Depending on the complexity, sound mixing, color correction, and external app requirements you need - FCPX may be ideal for you. IF you have effects and sound mixing intensive projects - Premiere Pro with it's links to a suite of effects apps may be the better bet.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Brett Ruffell
on Mar 27, 2013 at 6:52:16 pm

Thanks! I publish mainly 2-5 minute news reports with a variety of interviews. In terms of effects, the only thing I foresee needing at this point are 3D graphs/charts, tables and some basic colour and audio correction.

Return to posts index

Chris Lehmann
on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:09:27 pm

If you're in news, speed is most likely of huge importance and that's where FCPX shines.

As far as graphics go, neither FCPX or Premiere is meant to create graphics from scratch. On one hand there is Motion 5 (for $50!) which integrates perfectly into FCPX and makes custom lower thirds, titles and so on VERY easy and drop into your timeline and then customize right in the editor. This is definitely faster than going into another application and rendering them out every time. 3D with Motion is a bit tricky, it's more like 2.5D but passable for many things.

However, After Effects offers more features and is so ubiquitous you'll definitely want to know how to use it as well.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:15:49 pm

Either FCPX or Premiere Pro will be suitable for what you do, both of them have trial versions.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:51:56 pm

[Steve Connor] "Either FCPX or Premiere Pro will be suitable for what you do, both of them have trial versions.
"

Steve is giving you good advice. Download both and see which you like. From your description, X might be a terrific fit. If you go with Premiere in the form of CS 6 (or 7), you will end up with a lot more tools, but it might be overkill for what you want. X is pretty full-featured, especially for the price, and is particularly good for a magazine format. It really depends on how much granular control you want, and how far you want to expand. Play with them both, and remember that Premiere really shines when combined with the rest of the production bundle suite. And, as someone else mentioned, if you do want to go with X, Motion is an important add-on.

Return to posts index

Brett Ruffell
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:56:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback. One thing. Do you know if FCP X is able to import Canon Rebel video files? For 7, I have to convert them in MPEG Streamclip before importing them. Also, do you know if FCP X comes with royalty free background music?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:02:59 pm

[Brett Ruffell] "Do you know if FCP X is able to import Canon Rebel video files?"

Yes it can, but you can optimise the files in FCPX if you wish

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]