FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 XML export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark LeGrand
FCP7 XML export
on Mar 26, 2013 at 8:11:58 pm

I copied all the data and project files and then shipped it to an editor in another city. I just found out they were using FCPx and not FCP7.

Can I now send them a FCP7 XML export and have them opening the project in FCPx using 7toX without resending all the media?

Thank you,

Mark LeGrand

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: FCP7 XML export
on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:39:41 pm

[Mark LeGrand] "Can I now send them a FCP7 XML export and have them opening the project in FCPx using 7toX without resending all the media?"

I am not an expert but... assuming all the media is the same... I can't see why that wouldn't work.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 26, 2013 at 10:00:38 pm

I believe you need a third party plugin for it to work:

http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2012/01/7tox-for-final-cut-pro/

I also think that some massaging has to be done after the translation, but someone will jump in who knows more than I do...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 27, 2013 at 2:54:56 am

I'll add that this should really be the responsibility of the second editor. As an X editor I would never assume that the project coming to me was an X project. But, the app is 10 bucks so you might as well have it. That said, it's only 10 bucks so the other facility should ALREADY have it. It should be required. Perhaps you should gift it to them on the app store to make a point. It really is more of a end user X process than a 7 user prep process.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 27, 2013 at 4:26:11 pm

[Bret Williams] "Perhaps you should gift it to them on the app store to make a point. It really is more of a end user X process than a 7 user prep process."

Whose responsibility it is to prep for someone else's software choice is one we colorists face every day, and have been since the advent of the Apple COLOR and BM Resolve XML round trip Every new version changed the rules, subtly, or not, and it was, and remains, a total minefield. Even when you have educated an editor as to allowable processes, there was almost always another showstopper imbedded in the sequence. "Oh, I didn't know that wasn't allowed..." and frankly, very often, neither do we, until you can't load the timeline without the app crashing halfway through the import, or "time code extents don't match" and 20-30% of the clips are offline, or you get halfway through the final render, and.... *nothing*... or you get half the timeline back in FCP....

Whose "opportunity" is it to figure that one out? Yup, Cleanup on Aisle 7... Bring a shovel and a mop.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:29:39 pm

[Bret Williams] "I'll add that this should really be the responsibility of the second editor. As an X editor I would never assume that the project coming to me was an X project. But, the app is 10 bucks so you might as well have it. That said, it's only 10 bucks so the other facility should ALREADY have it. It should be required. Perhaps you should gift it to them on the app store to make a point. It really is more of a end user X process than a 7 user prep process."

I guess I see it differently.

If I hand off things to a colorist or audio mixer or another editor, I feel like it is my responsibility to prep the material for their taking.

Otherwise, it would be a giant mound of footage and decisions that I have been living with for the past few days/weeks/months/years and that the person on the other end is completely unfamiliar.

TO address the OP's question, you need software called 7toX. They will be able to relink to the footage once they import the translated FCPXML. You can send an XML of the whole fcp7 project if you'd like, or just a sequence or two, whatever you need to send.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:44:19 pm

Well I guess it comes down to who chose this FCP X editor and why it's being handed off in the first place. But, if someone were sending me footage and a project and all I had was X, I'd be like... "hey, you know I'm using X, right?"

BTW the OP said he was using 7toX in the post. Not sure why everyone keeps telling him the answer is 7toX. The OP's question was answered by Charlie. And the answer is yes. There might be some relinking, but if the already have the media, all you need to do is send them a fcpxml from 7toX.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:54:23 pm

Hey, not sure if you heard of this one, but...

There's this app called 7toX. It does what you need.

Return to posts index

Mark LeGrand
on Mar 27, 2013 at 8:00:11 pm

Thank you for the answers to my question.

Just to clarify, the reason for the hand off was the client decided to consolidate the editing in house after purchasing FCPx to save money. This was not part of the original plan, but poop happens.

Mark LeGrand

Mark LeGrand
Pro One Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]