FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X from App Store

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Stanowski
Final Cut Pro X from App Store
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:43:32 pm

Just wondering how this App Store thing works. I was thinking of switching to FCP for editing. I do mostly mograph so I'm not up on stuff in that department. When FCP gets released in June I heard you can get it for $299 if purchased from the App Store. What does that mean exactly? If I do that will the app be tied to the machine I downloaded it from? Will I get a file I can use to install on any machine? Also, how many machines do they let you install that on? I usually put stuff on my office and home machines. Can I do that?

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram
Snow Leopard (up-to-date)
Adobe Master Collection CS4 & CS5

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Final Cut Pro X from App Store
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:01:01 pm

When Apple released the apple store, I swear I heard them say "Just like the app store on the iphone, you'll never pay for updates." And true enough on the iphone app store, I've never had to pay for an update. Products have gone up 9 versions (motionxdrive) and I've never had to pay for an update. I'm not sure if this is marketing pressure or an actual rule of Apple, but it would seem a deal breaker for companies like Adobe, etc.

If it's really true, then $299 is an incredible deal.

I think the app store isn't tied so much to a machine, but like the iphone, it's tied to an acct. I have 2 old iphones, and one current one I actually use. The old ones still update the os, and can still download software that I've purchased. Buy once, use on 3 iphones. Course the other two are itouches now because they don't have "phone" capability.

So I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing if you have one .mac/mobileme acct that all your computers could sync to that and would download the software you've previously purchased. It's really a good thing. No serial numbers for things like Aperture. FWIW - here's the applicable part of the license agreement from Aperture-

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-transferable license to install and use
the Apple Software only on Apple-branded computers that you own or control in accordance with the Mac App Store
Product Usage Rules located at: http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/ (“Mac Usage Rules”). Except as permitted under the
Mac Usage Rules, you may not distribute or make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by
multiple devices at the same time. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, transfer, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software.

I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing if I had aperture on the laptop, there is some detection that it is open on two machines at once. But maybe not. Nevertheless, the spirit has always been that if you install FCP or other apps on two devices, that it is for your own personal convenience. That you and a assistant for example, are using the software at the same time.

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:48:33 pm

I haven't used the Mac App Store as a developer but I've submitted apps to the iOS App Store and it is certainly possible to charge for updates. Very few companies do this, presumably because they would be inundated with complaints for not making it free.

The Mac App Store works like iTunes in the sense that you can authorize up to 5 machines to run one user's applications. I'm not quite sure how this works for large corporations - do they need multiple Apple IDs or can they purchase it multiple times from the same account?

My software:
FCS Maintenance Pack - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
FCP Versioner - Backs up Final Cut Pro projects to XML and creates changelists for each revision
More tools...

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:53:50 pm

But what about companies who have several licenses...our it Dept manages/buys the licenses. How do I get it on machine a b c? Have to link to his account? Hope to god we can do a disk image, so we dont have to download 3-4 times.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:55:56 pm

But it sucks for resellers that actually give great pro support.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 14, 2011 at 7:50:31 pm

Y'know, everybody's trying to anticipate what an enigmatic software developer like Apple is going to finally present to the public in about two months. Two days after a sneak peak at ONE piece of software.

Have people EVER gotten a prediction right about what Apple will deliver two months hence? I'm talkin' every single, little detail. It's like filling out brackets for NCAA Mens' Hoops, and actually picking Butler and UConn to play in the title game. How many people had THAT one?

It appears the FCP community on this forum is trying to do that very thing. I wish you luck.
I, for one, will refrain from further speculation, get on with my next project and just stay tuned.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:03:10 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "It appears the FCP community on this forum is trying to do that very thing. I wish you luck.
I, for one, will refrain from further speculation, get on with my next project and just stay tuned."

And i was wondering why you have not spoken yet!

I agree with you. Lets wait for june.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:00:03 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "I agree with you. Lets wait for june."

Good! Some common sense.

I don't know if you live in the USA, but here in The States we have a sports organization called the National Football League (not soccer, American-style football). Later this month, the NFL will hold its annual draft of graduating university and college football players. The average playing career of an NFL player is about 3-4 years because the sport is so violent; thus, teams need constant replenishment from the college ranks.

Even though this draft is still weeks away, the talk shows on sports radio stations are filled with constant chatter about the NFL Draft: which player will go to which team? How does Player A's running speed compare to Player B's speed? Can Player C fit into the coaching style of a particular coach?

If you find such questions just a bit mind-numbing and irrelevant, I agree. The first game of the NFL season won't be played until September, for crying out loud! And because the NFL team owners and the NFL PLayers Association are at odds over player compensations, the season may not even take place!

I tell you, some Americans are obsessed with football.

And the constant chatter about the somewhat-irrelevant NFL Draft reminds me of the constant chatter in this forum from similarly-obsessed individuals about the somewhat-irrelevant Sneak Peek at a piece of software still in the works, which may or may not be accompanied by other pieces of software, Final Cut Pro X.

So, folks, who takes Cam Newton -- Carolina or Denver? I have a hunch the Packers are going to throw caution to the wind and pick Lance Kendricks at tight end in the second round... hey, the guy's from Wiconsin, y'know, and he's got great hands.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:20:12 pm

Great explanation Dave! I am here in Canada where we too have CFL, although it's a poor cousin of NFL. Canada being a hockey crazy country NHL draft picks are a big deal here.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:24:09 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "I am here in Canada where we too have CFL"

Then you're one of the few individuals who'll understand when I write, "Go Stamps!"

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:26:08 pm

What you mean it's possible for Apple to run the NFL draft through the App Store with free upgrades for each player? :-)

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:44:03 pm

So eloquently put Dave! Less sarcasm than i was expecting. :) I Just enjoy reading the posts...it's exciting, things are gonna change in June and it's fun to guess. Kind of like shaking ur Christmas presents...getting a little glimpse, but you can't open until June!

Did u come to nab? I was able to meet several people from here that I follow regularly, I was hoping to meet you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:14:48 pm

I am but a humble Senior Promotion Producer at a middle-market ABC Television Network affilate.

At my station, only upper management gets to go to NAB.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 15, 2011 at 8:26:33 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "At my station, only upper management gets to go to NAB."

Well, maybe so *and get paid to do it* on account, but all it takes is transportation, a flop-house and a free-admission to the technical exhibits, which are plentiful.

And screw you, go Esks, Riders, anybody but the Stu'peders.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]