http://www.arcticwhiteness.com/thetouch/

I like the idea of using this with a trackpad

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: Gesture control in FCPX
on Mar 22, 2013 at 4:36:44 pm

Anyone that has it and cares to give a review or opinion?

I always think: is this now truly faster then using the keyboard/mouse combination, but this one seems a bit different in its inception, compared to for instance ProX (or how was it called?). Interested to hear some feedback.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 22, 2013 at 4:41:29 pm

The real winner here is the color board control. That's an operation that cries out for touch interaction, and could be worth the price alone.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 22, 2013 at 5:28:07 pm

[Marcus Moore] "The real winner here is the color board control. That's an operation that cries out for touch interaction, and could be worth the price alone."

The developer posted a comment on another X forum basically stating that's mainly what it was designed for...

http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/16477-do-you-have-the-touch#...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 22, 2013 at 5:57:12 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "Anyone that has it and cares to give a review or opinion?"

Not this particular iteration, but other iPad interfaces that have appeared over the past couple of years, like the Tangent trackballs for COLOR -- fun, but in the back of my head, I'm hearing Carol Pope singing "all touch, but no contact", ie., no "feel". So your attention is mostly on the control surface, rather than whatever interface or display where your preview image or timeline is. A control surface should be about making itself disappear from your direction of attention, and until there is tactile feedback, that division of attention will be getting in the way, hindering, rather than helping.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 22, 2013 at 11:29:14 pm

With virtual audio sliders or buttons I agree with you, but I'm not sure how the trackball on a standard color panel is any better or worse for "feel" than fingers on a trackpad or iPad.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 23, 2013 at 4:26:56 am

With a trackball you can feel them without looking. Same with the dials that adjust black, white & gamma etc. They stick up unlike a virtualised iPad display of the same. As Joseph says, you need to be watching the grade monitor, not the interface.

As someone who started grading on a Rank telecine mk2, we had joysticks to drive the color wheels with the black, white gamma pots inside the joystick. When you grade live to air you really needed the tactile and spatial feel. Everything that reduces the tactile and spatial like a virtual display on a flat screen that doesn't provide physical feeback, will require attention and eye movement to be on the panel, reducing it's effectiveness.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 23, 2013 at 6:07:04 pm

Again, I agree with slider and knobs, but I don't see ANY tactile difference between a trackball and a touchpad.

From the point you put your hand on the trackball, you have 360 degrees of motion to play with, and it's only going in one direction or another- while looking at the image and the scopes, that tells you whether you're getting what you want. Putting your hand on a trackpad is the exact same kind of response.

I'm with you completely, having to look at the touch interface is a downside and what makes most of these solutions WORSE than a mouse or keyboard. I'm not seeing where I'd have to look at the trackpad any more than I would a trackball.

This interesting advantage here is that you have all three trackballs in one, depending on whether you use 1-4 fingers.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 24, 2013 at 11:50:26 am

Even a cheap controller like the Tangent Wave gives a tactile sense on the trackball that for me is better than a touch screen with almost zero feedback. The important distinction for me is that a controller is three dimensional and that makes it easier to locate objects like pots, faders or trackballs without looking.

That said, a well designed virtual controller on a touch screen is great if it can be customised. Personally I have always found screen ergonomics are poor compared to a well laid out physical controller.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 24, 2013 at 4:56:17 pm

[Marcus Moore] "but I don't see ANY tactile difference between a trackball and a touchpad"

You have used a control surface, right?

My experience as a colorist, having experimented with an iPad-simulator and owning a couple of types of control panels as well as operating several more, is that I find no similarity between a glass surface and let's say, four trackballs and rings, and yes, I play the thing like a piano... both hands, all my fingers. I forget about the control panel, like a pilot forgets about the stick, rudders and throttle. My eyes are on the target, nowhere else -- HUD is a plus. Trackballs and rings have inertia and momentum, which can never be suggested by a non-moving surface.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]